News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Hello from Worcestershire.

Started by Cobblesmacker, October 20, 2016, 03:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobblesmacker

Bought an FJ1200 as my first bike... well second but I had my first bike for exactly a month before it was stolen so it doesn't count.
The new lady, The Shangri-La Express, Is a '95, NON-abs, FJ1200 with ~65,000 miles on the clock. A UK model, I'm sure. Being old and tatty, the first thing I did was paint her matte black (yes, I'm one of those).

Quick warning, expect many silly questions. I'm a complete newbie to motorcycle maintenance.

:diablo:

FJmonkey

Welcome to the club, use the search function first. Then if you can't find it ask away.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ribbert

Quote from: Cobblesmacker on October 20, 2016, 03:10:02 AM
Bought an FJ1200 as my first bike... well second but I had my first bike for exactly a month before it was stolen so it doesn't count.
The new lady, The Shangri-La Express, Is a '95, NON-abs, FJ1200 with ~65,000 miles on the clock. A UK model, I'm sure. Being old and tatty, the first thing I did was paint her matte black (yes, I'm one of those).

Quick warning, expect many silly questions. I'm a complete newbie to motorcycle maintenance.

You have just raised the bar considerably, "Shangri-La- Express", very exotic, I like it.

Welcome.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum :hi:

There are subtle differences in the generations of the FJ. When purchasing used parts, if you have a thought on whether or not an earlier year part will work on yours, it may be a good idea to ask here first. It could save you some cash.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Cobblesmacker

Thanks for the warm welcome and tips.

fj1289

Quote from: Cobblesmacker on October 20, 2016, 03:10:02 AM

Welcome!

Nothing wrong with flat black!   Mine's been that way now for 15+ years - and Fred did a very nice example with the fairing lowers and decals

Firehawk068

Welcome Cobblesmacker!

By the way, you guys have "Awesome-Sauce"!
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Cobblesmacker

Quote from: fj1289 on October 20, 2016, 11:52:32 AM

Welcome!

Nothing wrong with flat black!   Mine's been that way now for 15+ years - and Fred did a very nice example with the fairing lowers and decals

A very nice job indeed. I love that exhaust, I want to upgrade my slip on, preferably without jetting. I have the remus 4-1 system and it's quiet :diablo:

Quote from: Firehawk068 on October 20, 2016, 02:16:23 PM
you guys have "Awesome-Sauce"!

Hey man. I have heard... haha... might even try some if I ever move.

fj1289

Russfjr1

Hi Cobblesmacker your not that far away from me in Worcestershire and me in Shropshire. Will have to have a coffee one day  :smile:   Do you ever get to the Medway Prees Heath? 
It's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard
Current bikes in the stables

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Honda Monkey-bike z50m 1967
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2
Triumph Daytona 600 (daughters)
Honda CBR1000RR (daughters)

Cobblesmacker

Hey Russ, can't say I have ever been. Like the hills you have there, I was thinking of them as I may be going camping tomorrow for a night or two. If I'm ever going your way, I'll let you know. Whereish are you?

Russfjr1

Quote from: Cobblesmacker on October 22, 2016, 02:10:25 PM
Hey Russ, can't say I have ever been. Like the hills you have there, I was thinking of them as I may be going camping tomorrow for a night or two. If I'm ever going your way, I'll let you know. Whereish are you?
[/quote

Shrewsbury, get a lot of bikes turning up at the Medway truck stop just outside Whitchurch, Thursday nights as a norm but it's a good place to stop anytime.
It's about as useful as a chocolate fire guard
Current bikes in the stables

Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha FJ1100
Honda Monkey-bike z50m 1967
Ducati Monster
Ducati ST2
Triumph Daytona 600 (daughters)
Honda CBR1000RR (daughters)