News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

STOP.....Is this site about FJ Yamaha Motorbikes or CLINTON or TRUMP .

Started by wainot-Phil, October 21, 2016, 11:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's hurting all FJowners ,,,, MOTORBIKES  or  Clinton / Trump

No more Clinton or Trump
0 (0%)
Lets talk  MOTORBIKES
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Bill_Rockoff

You're new here. Welcome!

We are mostly a bunch of friends who get together to talk about motorcycles. We have been doing this for about 20 years now, and that is long enough that we are kind of "old friends" who get together to talk about "all kinds of stuff, including motorcycles." But it's not just about the motorcycles.

And it's a good thing, because these motorcycles have been out of production for 20 years. All the questions have been answered, all the problems have been solved, and if we limited it to "discussions about motorcycles" pretty much the entire site could be replaced with a flashing banner that says "SEARCH, NOOB!"

We generally like each other enough in person that we have arranged to get together a few times a year and ride motorcycles together. But even if we don't have a motorcycle that works at the moment, we come anyway. Because it's not just about the motorcycles.

We bring our bring our spouses / significant-others who don't ride, or who ride something that's not an FJ. We bring our kids, even if they're too young to ride their own bike or if they ride something other than an FJ. We bring our friends, even if they ride some old cruiser and Will. Not. Stop. Talking. About. Beer. Because we like to talk to each other, and not just about motorcycles.

We will cross a  continent to get together and ride together. ANY continent, not even just the one we live on most of the time. We cross oceans to cross continents together so that we can ride together. We schedule our vacations and our work activities to accommodate getting together.

We generally enjoy FJs or the kind of riding FJs are really good at, but we enjoy other kinds of riding too. Some "FJ rallies" are actually pretty light on the "sport touring FJ kind of riding" and involve more dirtbike riding, or white-water rafting, or mountain-biking. Some of the guys have gotten together to hunt, or fish, or hike.

We *LIKE* each other.  We don't always like everything about each other, and we don't always agree on stuff. Some of it is important stuff, and some differences of opinion may actually undermine the depth of some friendships going forward. But a friendship where you don't know someone's values on something that is important to you can't be all that deep anyway, so it's probably better in the long run to know "this belief I have, which is fundamental to who I am, is not only 'not-shared' by that person over there, but is fundamentally opposed to something fundamental about that person. But I have been riding motorcycles with that person for 15 years and I have always considered us friends. So, maybe it's not all as black-and-white as I may have thought."

So, even though we don't always agree on stuff, we always talk about stuff. Because that is what friends do.

Otherwise, we're not friends at all, are we? We're just a bunch of strangers looking for help on the internet. And while it feels good to be able to give, or get, help doing something I think is worthwhile, like "fix and ride interesting motorcycles," nobody really checks in on strangers a few times a day unless it's their job. This isn't my job, it's what I do for fun, and I'm more interested in having a discussion with my friends. Even the ones I disagree with on some things.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

ribbert

Some time back I suggested, tongue in cheek, that some members were "more equal than others" and got howled down over it, even though there was some truth to it.

Quote from: ZOA NOM on October 22, 2016, 12:55:52 AM
As an aside, 13 posts, unless you've re-enlisted recently is a little early to start complaining about content.

You might have mingling rights with the coterie and Randy's ear but your passion has blinded you to the mood of the forum. The effrontery to suggest Phil's opinion is any less important than you own, based solely on post numbers is offensive.

However, if that is your reasoning, I'll use my 3263 posts to suggest that your comparatively trifling 380 posts, unless of course you re-enlisted recently, is a little early to start dictating the content.

The structure of the forum is very simple. The thread is found under the "General" category, where discussion is unlimited...........There is plenty of content in all the other subforums about the FJ's we ride

So you're suggesting the rest of us hunt around in the subforums to get our motorbike fix while you and just a couple of others selfishly dominate the general traffic area. (thanks for making it "simple" so we simpletons understand) In other words, those that log on expecting to read about motorbikes and related topics, not an unreasonable expectation on a motorbike forum, can amuse themselves elsewhere until you you decide it's time.

I happen to be passionate about the election

So are many others but if they want to trade blows over it they have the good sense to do so somewhere appropriate, they don't want to read about it here.
I have both a general and a vested interest in the outcome of the US Presidential election. When Trump first actually looked like he had a shot at the Whitehouse I started hunting out media sources that I believed would give me good, unbiased information, it didn't occur to me to scour motorbike forums.

I enjoy the debate and have absolutely no ill will. I assume they are adults with the capacity to make their cases and can withstand my replies.

It would be naive of you to think you could rise above the mud slinging, name calling and accusations so flippantly by suggesting it's merely robust debate amongst adults. That might work, until you start playing the man and not the ball.

I'm fully aware of the reactions my posts may illicit.

That's funny.

So, the body count continues to rise, but you just go ahead Zoa, dig your heels in and demand the right to keep it alive by quoting the forum rules as people continue to lose interest in the forum.

....and now we've moved onto Muslims and immigration, then the election post mortem, and then......all interesting, relevent and important subjects, just not here though - not a length anyway.

Don't take offense, as you say, there is no ill will and we are adults. You have made your case and have already said you can withstand the replies.

IMO
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ZOA NOM

Quote from: ribbert on October 22, 2016, 09:16:04 AM
Some time back I suggested, tongue in cheek, that some members were "more equal than others" and got howled down over it, even though there was some truth to it.

As an aside, 13 posts, unless you've re-enlisted recently is a little early to start complaining about content.

You might have mingling rights with the coterie and Randy's ear but your passion has blinded you to the mood of the forum. The effrontery to suggest Phil's opinion is any less important than you own, based solely on post numbers is offensive.

However, if that is your reasoning, I'll use my 3263 posts to suggest that your comparatively trifling 380 posts, unless of course you re-enlisted recently, is a little early to start dictating the content.

The structure of the forum is very simple. The thread is found under the "General" category, where discussion is unlimited...........There is plenty of content in all the other subforums about the FJ's we ride

So you're suggesting the rest of us hunt around in the subforums to get our motorbike fix while you and just a couple of others selfishly dominate the general traffic area. (thanks for making it "simple" so we simpletons understand) In other words, those that log on expecting to read about motorbikes and related topics, not an unreasonable expectation on a motorbike forum, can amuse themselves elsewhere until you you decide it's time.

I happen to be passionate about the election

So are many others but if they want to trade blows over it they have the good sense to do so somewhere appropriate, they don't want to read about it here.
I have both a general and a vested interest in the outcome of the US Presidential election. When Trump first actually looked like he had a shot at the Whitehouse I started hunting out media sources that I believed would give me good, unbiased information, it didn't occur to me to scour motorbike forums.

I enjoy the debate and have absolutely no ill will. I assume they are adults with the capacity to make their cases and can withstand my replies.

It would be naive of you to think you could rise above the mud slinging, name calling and accusations so flippantly by suggesting it's merely robust debate amongst adults. That might work, until you start playing the man and not the ball.

I'm fully aware of the reactions my posts may illicit.

That's funny.

So, the body count continues to rise, but you just go ahead Zoa, dig your heels in and demand the right to keep it alive by quoting the forum rules as people continue to lose interest in the forum.

....and now we've moved onto Muslims and immigration, then the election post mortem, and then......all interesting, relevent and important subjects, just not here though - not a length anyway.

Don't take offense, as you say, there is no ill will and we are adults. You have made your case and have already said you can withstand the replies.

IMO

Whew! Now we're talking! You spelled "relevant" wrong.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: ZOA NOM on October 22, 2016, 09:47:11 AM

Maybe so, but don't forget, you spelled Minnesnowta wrong too.  :rofl2:
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: ribbert on October 22, 2016, 09:16:04 AM

"effrontery". I had to look that one up. Powerful!  :good2:
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

fj1289

Really, as a "digital campfire" its about anything we want as a collective group.   A lot of topics tend to meander.  But, since I have no desire to engage with anyone on the topic of clinton or trump, I have completely ignored that thread. 

Its kind of like one of the people in our neighborhood that's all upset my son has worn a trail around our yard with his dirt bike.   He says he doesn't like seeing it.  My thought is your head swivels in both directions - you choose what you look at. 

Brook

.... Stop.... Is this site about FJ Yamaha motorbikes  or   Crooked Clinton or Trump

I don't see Randy complaining

JPaganel

Quote from: wainot-Phil on October 22, 2016, 12:32:17 AM
Don,t  want it banned at all ,just sick of seeing it taking center stage on my favorite  Motorbike web site . just saying this web site was about   Motorbike stuff once ,

What "center stage"? Again, it's just one thread, out of about two dozen other active threads. Is somebody forcing you to open it?

Here is a screenshot of about half of the front page. That thread isn't even on there.

Seriously, I can understand why you might not be interested in it, but I am just baffled why you want changes made to the site setup to protect your tender sensibilities.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ribbert

Quote from: ZOA NOM on October 22, 2016, 09:47:11 AM

I'll send "Spell Check" an email immediately informing them of their shortcomings.  :biggrin:

BTW, I was not mocking the misspelling, just amused by the meaning in that context.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

rlucas

Quote from: Bill_Rockoff on October 22, 2016, 08:20:52 AM

We are mostly a bunch of friends who get together to talk about motorcycles. We have been doing this for about 20 years now, and that is long enough that we are kind of "old friends" who get together to talk about "all kinds of stuff, including motorcycles." But it's not just about the motorcycles.

And it's a good thing, because these motorcycles have been out of production for 20 years. All the questions have been answered, all the problems have been solved, and if we limited it to "discussions about motorcycles" pretty much the entire site could be replaced with a flashing banner that says "SEARCH, NOOB!"

We generally like each other enough in person that we have arranged to get together a few times a year and ride motorcycles together. But even if we don't have a motorcycle that works at the moment, we come anyway. Because it's not just about the motorcycles......(SNIPPED for the sake of brevity)

^^^^^^^This. In spades. Well said, Bill.

Quote from: Bill_Rockoff on October 22, 2016, 08:20:52 AM

We bring our friends, even if they ride some old cruiser and Will. Not. Stop. Talking. About. Beer.

I have no idea who you're talking about.

We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)