News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Battle cruiser Fuji

Started by Davo231481, October 29, 2016, 05:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davo231481

Hi all. I've been promoted and need to move so the pressure is on to get this bike ready for rego. I got a bit of work done today. Repainted headers , I know I was going to polish them but I'm on the clock and its ticking loudly so I'll save the polishing until winter. Repaired collector where the outlet had cracked and disappeared. Refitted  exhaust  with new OEM gaskets. Replaced valve cover gasket and hold done bolt rubbers....no more oil leaks woohoo. I got these as genuine and price wasn't bad. Changed brake fluids. Replaced oil with new filter. Just waiting on speedo and I can register it.

Davo231481

With the fairing off I thought I'd swap the dash lights over to led ones. Here's what happened: night instrument lights worked but headlight stopped so swapped over h4 with a spare I had sitting there being careful not to touch bulb. replace parking bulb whilst at it. Tried it again headlight worked and high beam indicator worked as well.turned on rh indicators. flasher unit ticked a couple of times then stopped but no indicators flashed. Bugger .. so I swapped led around in case it was polarity. Flasher did same thing but no lights or dash indication. Swapped led back to original polarity. now no flasher unit ticking. Checked globes , all good. I have neutral light and low fuel light working but no oil pressure light. Could LEDs buggered flasher unit if the instrument lights were around wrong way originally? Headlight globe Hi and Lo stopped working but it was old to start with.

FJmonkey

I doubt the LEDs will damage your flash unit/circuit. You don't want to change the Low Fuel light to LED or it will stay on all the time. The circuit needs a normal bulb to operate properly. How or why the headlamp stopped working is a mystery, it should not be affected by the dash lights circuit. I would put all the lights back before you did the LED swap and verify all is working properly. Then change one at a time and test. With so many changes all at once it is hard to tell what is causing the issue(s).
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Davo231481

I sorted out the lights issue. A bad contact in switch gear and a dodgy wire. All good now but in preparation for rego I thought I'd adjust the chain as it seemed very slack. After a quick look i could see it was at the end of its service life and massively slack except for one bit where it was tight as. Ordered new chain and sprockets today and should have them tomorrow.

FJmonkey

Good catch on the chain. A chain at the end of life is easier to break and that tends to destroy the case.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

How is the speedo performing?

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Davo231481

Hi Fred . Can't comment on the speedo just yet as I've only done a few laps of the backyard but odometer is working well.ill let you know how the old girl travels after it passes rego and I get to see its potential. Chainset should be here tomorrow hopefully.

Davo231481

A really productive day for the Fuji maru. A brand new chain and sprockets installed and 30 years of chain lube removed. That must've reduced its weight by a couple of kilos. I'm still amazed at how over engineered the bike is with bolts and screws hidden everywhere. Some pics to come tomorrow.

Davo231481

Here's a few quick shots of the fujimaru

ribbert

Quote from: Davo231481 on December 31, 2016, 10:14:13 PM
Here's a few quick shots of the fujimaru

That's a really nice looking bike Davo, should fly through rego. Could do with a bit of QL dust on it March though.

For you interest, my bike came with the same Staintunes. It also came with the receipt for them in '94 - a whopping $1400 back then !!!!!

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Davo231481

I'd love to get that northern sun and dust on it but I'm already booked in for Vjmc national rally at Tamworth. However if I save my pennies I might be able to get there as its only a couple of hours north of where I'll be. I'm moving to Maclean so if your coming up the coast road drop me a line. Thanks for the positive comments and heads up on the staintune bill. Always knew they were dear but that's out of the ball park for 90's money.

Davo231481

Woohoo. I got my bike registered today. Problem now is that this its first excursion with me and I have noticed a few maintenance issues. Leaking fork seal. Shithouse shock. Handlebars could do with a rise to reduce tingly hands although that could be my jacket cutting off circulation. Getting use to reading mph again as well as kph( all good Fred, speedo works like a treat) some vibes cropping up here and there. Need to replace brake lines as no 1 priority when I get my pennies together. Get some new earplugs to reduce wind noise

Davo231481

So in a quiet moment I took my son for a easy cruise around some back roads near home, nimmitabel to a do and back to Cooma via broccoli wind farm. Along the way I wondered why the brakes took some time to slow the speed and found it odd that that the rear brake had better braking compared to the front. Call me crazy but when I saw the dripping fork oil I understood why. Thankfully the lbs had a set of seals but had to wait a couple of days for new pads as the old ones on closer inspection were well and truly rooted.