News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FZR1000 rear wheel - my google-fu is failing

Started by JPaganel, November 08, 2016, 04:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussTheEngineer

Realistically it's only a small amount of machining, anyone with experience and is competent on a lathe that is large enough to accommodate 18" plus outside diameter should be a walk in the park. 

JPaganel

More info.

This is from http://www.fjmods.co.uk/Wheels.htm

QuoteFZR1000 EXUP rear wheel conversion - This is a 5.5"x17" rim and takes a 170/60x17" tyre. It gives a very 'planted', stable ride. I wouldn't in anyway say it's superior to the Genesis mod though, as this remains the more 'agile' option. The Exup wheel just 'looks right' and a whole host of tyre selections become possible, with the 17" tyre. To install this wheel and retain proper wheel alignment and chain clearance, it is necessary to modify the cushdrive assembly. Basically, the whole cushdrive has to sit 7mm deeper into the wheel. All parts are standard FJ (except the wheel of course).The following alterations are made to these components:-

Cushdrive Hub/Sprocket Carrier - Machine 5mm from the ends of the cushdrive dogs (those things that engage into the cush rubbers). Remove the outer rim (about 2.5mm) of the cushdrive hub. (Picture)

Cushdrive Bearing Spacer - Machine 7mm from the end that butts up to the L/H wheel bearing. This part of the spacer now measures 13mm instead of the OEM 20mm.

Cushdrive Housing (In Wheel) - Remove 5mm from the outer surface of the cushdrive vanes. As the the cushdrive is introduced into the wheel, removal of a small amount of metal is needed around the L/H wheel bearing housing. Use Plasticine pressed onto these areas, to highlight surfaces needing further easing. You have achieved the correct amount of clearance for the cushdrive, when the cushdrive bearing spacer, squarely meets the bearing, with no fouling by the cushdrive. (Picture)

Cushdrive Rubbers - Shave approx 5-7mm, from the outer surface.

Caliper Mounting Bracket - I used an Exup caliper bracket, which differs from the FJ. Start by removing 2mm from the inner face and 5mm from the outer. Some slight adjustment will be necessary after this, but it's easy to do.

This process probably sounds more complicated than it actually is. Once you have the components in front of you, it's pretty plain what's got to go where. I used a power file, to remove the metal from inside the wheel and to dress the cushdrive rubbers. I had the cushdrive machined, but with patience, this too could be done by hand. The cushdrive bearing spacer MUST be accurately machined to ensure proper spacing, otherwise the bearings would be preloaded when the rear wheel spindle is tightened (not good). When finished the whole lot will sit 7mm deeper into the cushdrive, as pictured.

Same page states this:

QuoteMany FJer's have wanted to fit a wider rear wheel rim to their FJ's whilst retaining their ABS. Now it's no problem. Our old friend Horst Blim has done the necessary machining etc, to fit the 5.5" FZR rim to the ABS FJ. Horst can supply all parts necessary and can arrange shipping. Check out Horst's website at www.hbbike.de and don't worry Horst speaks good English too !

The site, however, seems to be gone. There is only a blank page with  "Hier entsteht demnächst eine neue Internetpräsenz " - "Coming soon", basically.

Maybe I will try to email the guy at the address he has on that page, but it seems an unlikely proposition.

Quote from: RussTheEngineer on November 09, 2016, 04:44:46 PM
Realistically it's only a small amount of machining, anyone with experience and is competent on a lathe that is large enough to accommodate 18" plus outside diameter should be a walk in the park. 

I'll hit up my machinist friend. See what he says.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

JPaganel

Spent some time talking to my friend and going over pictures. He says it's not a problem.

I think I am going to get an FZR wheel and go for it.

If we get this sorted out, would any other ABS owners be interested? I'm sure I could talk him into doing a batch of them.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

Troyskie

I've recently completed a non-ABS FZR1000 rear wheel conversion.

I realise there is a significant difference on the internal with the ABS, however there seems to be plenty of machining room in the hub.

If the external dimensions are the same, metal only comes off the LHS of the hub and off the sprocket carrier. No point going into what dimensions I did as the internals look quite different. Overall I think you are on a winner.

If it helps, here's the link to where I started fooling with the FZR wheel...http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=15052.45
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Troyskie

additional to my last, I think it will be an easy one. It 'looks' like the sprocket side is the same as the non ABS version. If the outer dims are the same fitting should be a breeze.

If this is the case, make sure you get the FZR axel spacers, they are stepped and remove any need for additional spacers like on the GSXR rear conversions.

Also, if this is a goer, the FJ rear disc is an exact fit on the studs for the FZR wheel. No need to change the calliper or remount. :good2:
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

JPaganel

It's on.

FZR wheel is en route.

I will try to keep good records of what gets done.

1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

JPaganel

Got the wheel in the mail.

Hilariously, they wrapped it up to look like a head of cheese.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

I don't want a pickle

racerrad8

Randy - RPM