News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Colour code of engine black

Started by jyrki, November 11, 2016, 04:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jyrki

Hi,
I would like to re-paint engine (including cyliders) and exhaust pipes. FJ1200, 3WC, year 1988.
All those parts has supposingly same color, but is it originally satin, matt or glossy black? What is excat color code? RAL9005? Acrylic paint? No varish?
Temerature of cylinders and exchaust pipes are rather high, so at least those should have high temperature paint, but up to what tempereature? Do you know any good brand for that purpose.
I will use spray gun for painting..

Regards, Jyrki

ribbert

Quote from: jyrki on November 11, 2016, 04:46:02 AM
Hi,
I would like to re-paint engine (including cyliders) and exhaust pipes. FJ1200, 3WC, year 1988.
All those parts has supposingly same color, but is it originally satin, matt or glossy black? What is excat color code? RAL9005? Acrylic paint? No varish?
Temerature of cylinders and exchaust pipes are rather high, so at least those should have high temperature paint, but up to what tempereature? Do you know any good brand for that purpose.
I will use spray gun for painting..

Regards, Jyrki

VHT Engine Enamel, below, after about 60K It is suitable for everything except the exhaust and is unaffected by oil and fuel.

This is a spare engine I painted roughly as I never intended it to stay in the bike for more than a few weeks - years ago!

Preparation - wash down with kero gun, high pressure clean, air dry, mask, paint, ride. You don't need a spray gun and if you're good with a spray can you can get away with one coat. No primer or undercoat required, it is intended to be applied directly to the job.

If you're fussy, the masking takes a long time (even longer if your painting it in the frame, the painting takes about 5 mins. I've always used gloss but I'm going to try satin next time.

Haha, good luck trying to find a DIY product that will last on the exhaust. I tried everything on the market then gave up and reluctantly polished them. Not as bad to keep looking good as I imagined though.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

balky1

I was looking for VHT and I got the info from a vendor in Netherlands that that paint you all refer to for engine can only be sold to professionals, not to individuals. Crap in Europe.   :dash2:
The only remaining solution is matte black.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

ribbert

Quote from: balky1 on November 11, 2016, 06:20:25 AM
I was looking for VHT and I got the info from a vendor in Netherlands that that paint you all refer to for engine can only be sold to professionals, not to individuals. Crap in Europe.   :dash2:

Can't you get someone who knows someone to get you a can? or have someone send you one disguised as insect repellent or something.
What would happen if you just ordered a can on the net?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

balky1

Quote from: ribbert on November 11, 2016, 07:14:20 AM
Quote from: balky1 on November 11, 2016, 06:20:25 AM

Can't you get someone who knows someone to get you a can? or have someone send you one disguised as insect repellent or something.
What would happen if you just ordered a can on the net?

Noel

This is the thing: there is no shop in Croatia that distributes their products so knowing a guy wouldn't help. He can't send it from Netherlands because road shipping would be too expensive and he also told me that he can't ship it by post since the colors are flammable substances and some stupid EU legislative about it. It simply doesn't matter the fact we both live in the EU. Someone could buy it for me in Germany, for example, but like I said earlier, he wouldn't be able to buy the color you all refer to, just matte one that I can buy cheap locally (not VHT but good). That would mean that my guy in Germany should know a guy with some paint shop to get a can. And he doesn't. So I gave up.
I needed it for the mufflers since the black parts got a bit corroded.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

jyrki

Hi, advice: have you asked from Mercurius Tools (in Netherland). Br Jyrki

balky1

Quote from: jyrki on February 09, 2017, 03:07:36 AM
Hi, advice: have you asked from Mercurius Tools (in Netherland). Br Jyrki

As I can see they offer shipping only to Belgium, Germany and Netherlands.... And I had some problems with the dutch language.  :wacko3: No English page.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

jyrki

Hi, I sent an email to them in english, giving informtion how many cans and colors, and they replied immediately. At least to Finland shipping was no problem. Very good Service. They are also in Facebook. Br Jyrki

JMR

PJ1 also makes satin and gloss case paint. I have had the satin on for 8 years and it is perfect. I bead blasted the surfaces prior to painting.

balky1

OK, thx. Message sent, now we'll see.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

balky1

Jyrki, thanks for the info. I've ordered myself gloss black and a primer for it. I'll try with the mufflers since I've read on the VHT site it could be used for it. Will see.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

ribbert

Quote from: balky1 on February 15, 2017, 03:13:06 AM
Jyrki, thanks for the info. I've ordered myself gloss black and a primer for it. I'll try with the mufflers since I've read on the VHT site it could be used for it. Will see.

You don't need primer for the engine paint but if you are going to use it, have you ordered the "Flame Proof" primer?

IMO

Noel

balky1

Here's a screenshot from the official VHT site:

It is stated here, so I ordered it.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009