News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

FJ11 85 Winter Project

Started by Alexis Wenzel, November 14, 2016, 10:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis Wenzel

Gentlemen, good morning!!

Yes, this had been a loooooong pause. Moved 6 times in the last two years, changed jobs, had a baby, bought a new bike...but now things have finally settled down and....drums please....the project is back on!!!

Yes Yes, finally!! LoL

I'll have more pics in the near future. XD

Glad to be back!!
Cheers!

XIS

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

TexasDave

Looking forward to pics of the FJ project but would also like pics and more info on that good looking Suzuki. Although I am partial to Yamaha's I will admit to owning more than one Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki bike over my many years. I don't admit to owning that Hardly Ableson still parked in my garage though ......

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Alexis Wenzel

Hi Dave!

That Suzuki is a 2000 GSXR 600, Alstare Edition. Last model of the SRADs. I love it!

Folks, I'm looking for a solution on the brake/clutch levers with its fluid rezervoirs. I dont think I'll move forward with the R1 handlebars, they're too close to the tank and I would have to buy new reservoirs and master cylinders.

Would I be better off using a "touring/naked" model handlebar? That way I could keep the original controlers and all eh?! Something like an FZ1 top crown and clamps...
I'm currently using a 2009 R1 front end.

What do you think?
Cheers!

XIS

Alexis Wenzel

Hey guys, how's it going?!?

4 years later, many moves and life changing situations...I haven't given up! My project is finally done! Obviously with some minor adjustments still to be completed here and there but... I've made it!  :good2:  :dance: :drinks:

I still need to wrap exhaust with thermotape, the tank / scoops / fender on the right colour, fix the "weird too high" reservoirs, put the license plate on, connect the lights and wait for a new petcock coming from rpm, but other than that...this is it!!!  :yahoo:.  :yahoo:
Cheers!

XIS

andyoutandabout

A big well done, it looks awesome.
4 years is a while; a bike on the road is worth two in the garage, but that is now the past.
Yay, get riding
life without a bike is just life

Alexis Wenzel

Yes, indeed, brother! 4 years is a looooong time ..lol

Some more updated pics. New paint scheme, wrapped exhaust and some minor stuff done...

Looking good? :)
Cheers!

XIS

andyoutandabout

Certainly looking good.
And being Fj peeps here, it's clear that much modification has occurred.
I suspect it handles rather well.
Get it to a rally (once the lockdowns are lifted) and let the Fj fanciers get an eye full. I think there are more than one or two talking points here.
life without a bike is just life

PaulG

I hope that dinky little can makes the neighbourhood dogs bark, old folks shake their fists, and little kids scream in delight.   :good2:  Awesome. Just careful with the wheelies. Wouldn't want to slip off the back and give yourself a close shave.  :sarcastic:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

fj1289

Awesome!  And well done retaining the scoops - they look like they belong!

Alexis Wenzel

Quote from: PaulG on May 12, 2020, 08:36:36 PM
I hope that dinky little can makes the neighbourhood dogs bark, old folks shake their fists, and little kids scream in delight.   :good2:  Awesome. Just careful with the wheelies. Wouldn't want to slip off the back and give yourself a close shave.  :sarcastic:

Yeeesss!!! LoL man, indeed! That's the best description of what happens here.

And, since you mentioned, my front neighbour told me last week that her cat jumps and runs for shelter everytime I fire my bike up...lol

Quote from: fj1289 on May 12, 2020, 11:53:12 PM
Awesome!  And well done retaining the scoops - they look like they belong!

Right?!? It looks like it's always been there, directly on the frame. I really like the way it looks there! :)

Quote from: andyoutandabout on May 12, 2020, 07:09:38 PM
Certainly looking good.
And being Fj peeps here, it's clear that much modification has occurred.
I suspect it handles rather well.
Get it to a rally (once the lockdowns are lifted) and let the Fj fanciers get an eye full. I think there are more than one or two talking points here.

Yes sir, lots of major mods on it, and indeed it handles super nicely! It's lower now and with the wider tire plus the super strict diet that the bike went through...oh my...I love it!
And I would love to go to the rally! Hopefully this covd stuff goes away soon... :/
Cheers!

XIS

Alexis Wenzel

And, some new changes here...

New wheel red stripe thingy...forgot the name...lol

And new oil filter system!! Uhuuull!!! XD
Cheers!

XIS

Alexis Wenzel

Plus, I've changed the spark plugs and noticed some oil mist on top of the header screws...and some oil on the spark plugs from cylinders 2 and 3...and the tip of the spark plug from cylinder 2 was bent...

How do you think these plugs are looking, after 40some thousand km?

Cheers!

XIS

Alexis Wenzel

So, the clip ons were a really rough rough ride.

On with the new handlebar, brake and clutch levers, vibration dampers, headlight and turn signal.

:)

Cheers!

XIS

Old Rider

very cool looking bike nice work ! When i first looked at the top picture i thought you have mounted brake and clutch lever guards .Taking a closer look i see its mirrors but could also work as lever guards. Good to have in case Romano Fenati pulls up on your side see link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKYQqIXLejI

I'm not an expert but to me the sparkplugs looks great after 40 000km the oilmist is only the rubbergrommets sitting on the valvecover bolts needing replacement.