News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Adapted hard case mounts

Started by vegetta58, November 23, 2016, 05:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vegetta58

Has anyone ever looked at the mounts off of the old or new Kawasaki Concours and the Honda ST's to see if there mounting system could be modified for the FJ. I have a Kawasaki Concours 1994 and I'll take a look and see if it's possible with that bike. You can find the brackets and cases pretty easy if it could work.  Didn't know if this has already been studied before. Thanks Mickey
1990 FJ 1200                                                        1999 Dyna Super Glide Sport FXDX

Dads_FJ

I fit these Givi racks that were made for a Kawi ZZR something-r-other.  Basically bolted on after drilling and tapping the passenger grab rail.

John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

FJmonkey

That would be an excellent project since you have access to it. The Concours has been widely popular so parts and luggage should be easy to find. I can offer my help with creating drawings to document brackets and adapters. I am sure it can be done, just needs the right person to look at both sides of the puzzle and get the two sides to fit properly.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FJ1100mjk

It can be done. At least from the standpoint of utilizing hard bags from another bike.

A couple or few years ago, there was a guy on the forum, and I think he was from Nova Scotia, put some hard bags on from another bike. The bike was painted some shade of darker metalic green, that kinda grew on me. Anyways, his adapted bags were executed well, and they didn't look at all bad on the old FJ. Maybe someone has a pic or link to a post of the bike.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

vegetta58

I like Dads_FJ set up but just pulled up the prices and WOW they are proud of the cases. I'm going to look and see how hard it would be to modify the Concours 1st. If not it will probably be the Givi's
1990 FJ 1200                                                        1999 Dyna Super Glide Sport FXDX

PaulG

I found and complete set of old Krausers (1980's) and it was a fairly easy mod to fit it.  All I needed was some SS bits, a vice, pliers, and a hammer & drill.  I've changed the rear mounting around since this pic was taken.  They were fixed to the rear signal brackets which eventually snapped - which I later found out was common due to the flimsy bracket.  Had both re-welded back on and haven't had an issue since.  I've changed the bracketry a bit since these pics were taken.

There's usually a few of these bags on eBay or Craig's List.  They're not pretty but they hold lots of shiite.  I paid $400 CAN (~$300 USD) for the rack and three cases, including the sliding trombone backrest.  Just another option out there.  Back then you could fit these to almost any bike at the time.

1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

FJ1100mjk

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

vegetta58

Will this fit the FJ with out to much modification. Thanks