News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Aftermarket CBR mirrors

Started by aj52, November 25, 2016, 12:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aj52

Fitted aftermarket CBR mirrors with turnsignals.
Going to use the turnsignals as running lights,cause my FJ doesn't have running lights.
Just need to make the connection for it.

First pic is one oem mirror and one new.
Second of the build-in turnsignal.
Last one with both new mirrors
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

aj52

I can't get the lights to work properly.
When lights are on "park position" the whole LED lights on the mirrors are on,but as soon as I put on headlight(dim or bright),the bottom row of LED's goes dead.

There is only 2 wires on each mirror,a yellow and a red.
When connecting on battery,red is + and yellow -.
When swapped around,it is dead.

Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Some LEDs are positive/negative sensitive. That might explain why they work one way off the battery and not the other. Maybe find a wiring diagram for the bike for how they wire the lights. 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

Quote from: FJmonkey on November 30, 2016, 07:18:32 PM
Some LEDs are positive/negative sensitive. 

All LED's are polarity sensitive. A diode only allows current to flow in one direction. A LED is a Light Emitting Diode.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJmonkey

I only said some because some LEDs are in an assembly light unit that will switch the polarity internally. An LED alone is pole sensitive. 

aj52

Thanks Mark & Fred

Maybe I should connect it straight to the ignition,because with the headlight power lead it does what I have explained.
Maybe that will sort out the problem with the bottom row 
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

PaulG

I had a  similar/same set for one season. The multi-directional adjustment became a PIA.  Once up to highway speeds they would start to fold back, and if on a bumpy road they would fall down.  I eventually had to epoxy the up/down & back/forth adjustment.  Just something to watch out for. Hopefully yours are better quality than the ones I bought.

I chopped them off this spring and installed a set of these Emgo's which are for CBR/VFR Honda replacements.  Needs some drilling to widen the mounting points, but work great. Very clear reflection.  Just in case if you need to make a change in the future.
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

aj52

Quote from: PaulG on December 02, 2016, 09:13:29 AM
I had a  similar/same set for one season. The multi-directional adjustment became a PIA.  Once up to highway speeds they would start to fold back, and if on a bumpy road they would fall down.  I eventually had to epoxy the up/down & back/forth adjustment.  Just something to watch out for. Hopefully yours are better quality than the ones I bought.

I chopped them off this spring and installed a set of these Emgo's which are for CBR/VFR Honda replacements.  Needs some drilling to widen the mounting points, but work great. Very clear reflection.  Just in case if you need to make a change in the future.

Yes Paul,it is the same set than yours.
I used the OEM fitting,as one of those small allencap screws broke when I was tightening it. It did the same as yours when riding.
I sanded the arm to fit original fitting.

Hannes
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

PaulG

Quote from: aj52 on December 05, 2016, 12:31:55 AM
I used the OEM fitting,as one of those small allencap screws broke when I was tightening it. It did the same as yours when riding.
I sanded the arm to fit original fitting.

Hannes

DOH!   :dash2:  I never thought of that...  :blush:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

aj52

I forgot to say that it is been sorted.
It act as running lights and as turnsignals.
Took me about 2 days to find the correct wires to use it as both.
The FJ's original fittings on the CBR stem works great
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Really good news. Could you post up what wires and where you connected them? Others may want to do the same.

Neoday2

I am curious too!  I am thinking of doing some mirror upgrades this winter.  This looks pretty good and I really like the idea of having some additional lights facing forward.  Thanks in advance for the photos!  :good2:
1989 FJ1200

Nova

I put some white/yellow switchback LED bulbs on mine. They are white running lights (with clear lenses) which turn of when the yellow signal LEDs start flashing. Then turn back on when the flasher circuit is off.

aviationfred

I have clear lenses for the front turn signals. I also have the Cree LED switchback bulbs. With CBR250R mirrors.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

aj52

Quote from: FJmonkey on December 12, 2016, 08:54:29 AM
Really good news. Could you post up what wires and where you connected them? Others may want to do the same.

Will post the photo's on connections over the weekend Mark,this week is a bit hectic at work.
Shutdown and long hours whole week (16 hours a day).
Will try to upload a video also on how it looks with each action.
Current:                              
1991 FJ 1200 ABS
1991 FJ 1200