News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Oil filter house o-ring that comes with oil-filter is too large

Started by ScavengerProd, December 04, 2016, 11:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScavengerProd

Hi,

The last two times I've changed the oil filter on my 1991 FJ1200, the o-ring for the oil filter house that comes with the oil filter has been to large. The first time I just assumed it was the store that gave me the wrong kit, but the last time I ordered it online, and the same thing happened. Has anyone experienced this, or am I doing something wrong?

The filters I've purchased:
http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/filter/HF401
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=KN-401

BR,
Konrad

FJmonkey

It has been many years since I replaced that O-Ring during an oil change. But I seem to recall that you need to simply stuff the O-Ring into the grove when you put the filter housing back on. I have gone with the RPM spin-on adapter and now use standard metal automotive filters.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FeralRdr

Sadly, (in my experience) that is the norm when it comes to aftermarket Oil Filters for the FJ.  To the best of my recollection, I don't think any of the aftermarket Oil-filters I used ever came with an O-Ring that fit the housing. 

That is one of the reasons, I just normally went with OEM filters.  It's been awhile, but I don't believe that they come with the O-rings included.  If I needed a new O-Ring, I would just pick one up from my local Yamaha Dealer.  To be honest, I only replaced my O-Ring occasionally (maybe between 15-20K miles intervals).

FeralRdr

Quote from: FJmonkey on December 04, 2016, 11:27:53 AM
It has been many years since I replaced that O-Ring during an oil change. But I seem to recall that you need to simply stuff the O-Ring into the grove when you put the filter housing back on....

I recall receiving that same advice, but I could never get it to fit.  The typical O-Rings that came with the aftermarket Oil-Filters were just to big to be "Stuffed"

Looking at the Scavenger's Pict:

I don't think he is going to be able to stuff that in the housing's groove. 

FJ1100mjk

I used one that I sourced from a hardware store. It's ID, and it's thickness, were slightly bigger than what the groove in the filter's housing was, but it's worked fine for a number of years, and well over 15,000 miles now. Its material is Buna-N (nitrile).
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

racerrad8

Quote from: ScavengerProd on December 04, 2016, 11:16:00 AM
... the o-ring for the oil filter house that comes with the oil filter has been to large. Has anyone experienced this, or am I doing something wrong?

The filters I've purchased:
http://www.hiflofiltro.com/catalogue/filter/HF401
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=KN-401

Konrad, as you can see by the links you provided, the HF401 is a filter used on a wide variety of applications. So, the o-ring is going to be the one that fits the highest selling application. I don't thin kt the FJ fits that category.

The o-ring is metric, so for us in the US it can be difficult to find. I keep them on the shelf all of the time; Yamaha Oil Filter O-Ring

If your old one is still soft & pliable, I would go ahead and use it over.
Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

MOTOMYSZOR

I confirm what FJmonkey said: You have to stuff the o-ring into the grove. It looks impossible but  it is quite easy.
We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About

FeralRdr

Quote from: MOTOMYSZOR on December 04, 2016, 01:42:34 PM
I confirm what FJmonkey said: You have to stuff the o-ring into the grove. It looks impossible but  it is quite easy.

I tip my hat to you both, as I was never able to get it in.  It kept popping out no matter what I tried.   :hi:

X-Ray

This is the exact same thing I went through with the '94 recently. It still has the original filter, and several of these o rings as spares. There was no way you could stuff the excess into the recess, physically impossible, I just gave up and reused the old one.

So I'm 100% sure these o rings are the incorrect size.

'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Charlie-brm

I use both of the makes listed, HiFlo mostly. Yes the O-rings always start out appearing to be too big, but I've been using cartridge filters of those and other brands for years and on two different Yamahas with no difficulty. I think my XS750 had the opposite problem, the ring wanting to crawl out of the groove because it was stretched to fit the groove and wanted to retract to its original diameter.

You can either try and chase the O-ring around the groove, pushing in circles with one finger, or you can try nudging it in at opposite points with both thumbs and moving about an inch along to the next spot to give it another nudge. Eventually (and I mean well less than a minute) you'll have it all leveled into place and it will stay put.
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

balky1

I use HiFlo HF 401 also and I just push it in the groove. Be patient and you will make it without any major problem.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

ScavengerProd

Thanks for all the replies. I've been using the old o-ring, and it's currently pressed so flat that oil sweats through it on long drives. I did try to stuff the new o-ring, but didn't spend that much time on it. It's installed now with the old o-ring, but I'll keep it in mind.

I thought it unlikely that all the different manufactures had the same o-ring, as Randy mentioned. I wanted to see what kind of experience you have, in case I was missing something.

Thanks again  :good2:

Alf

Quote from: MOTOMYSZOR on December 04, 2016, 01:42:34 PM

I confirm this too. The ring looks to large, but fits