News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

chin fairing from the dude

Started by yaman, January 10, 2017, 04:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yaman

i have a couple of beat to hell chin fairings that i was thinking i would rehab this winter in hopes of improving on the one that is mounted on the bike now
well, of course they are both broken off thru the indented mounting hole at the kickstand mount
even with a nice plastic welder (that i havent used yet) i am worried about my skills and a proper finished product
so i figured i would give "The Dude" a try, i have purchased a handfull of items from him in the past and have always felt that he created a quality product
i should receive it this afternoon
it was $160 + $40 to ship
if anyone is interested i can post up some pics 

red

Quote from: yaman on January 10, 2017, 04:57:46 PMif anyone is interested i can post up some pics
Yaman,

It always helps to mention what production years of FJ that you are talking about.    :biggrin:

Cheers,
Red
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

yaman

sorry Red, good point
i believe its '86-93(?)
it is a very nice item, substantially heavier and more rigid than oem with reference marks for drilling out mounting points

yaman

i was able to get to it this past weekend
i used some color match products from "VMR Paints"
i really dont think the pic does it justice, the metalflake  is really sweet
i'm a bit concerned as i think i mixed light on my clear activator and hope it cures by this weekend to sand and apply the decals and more clear over it all
the clear is getting there but i can still get a fingernail into it after about 40 hours @ 65*-70*- anyone have any input here? its a urethane product
my first time with a spray gun and real paint, i see some issues here and there but it will pass for a part that rides within a foot of the pavement

andyoutandabout

life without a bike is just life

yaman

still need to sand and polish
had an issue with the decals, the contour was a bit much for the decal and it creased a bit, i went with it but i will have to contact the manufacture to see if there is a technique that i am unaware of. I even tried some heat but it was like trying to stretch tin foil
still 100x better than my original, and if the decal drives me too nuts this season, im just gonna tape it off and spray the red part(where the fail is)
wadda ya think?

FJmonkey

That looks really good. You might need to do the rest of the bike or it will stand out too much.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side