News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Ear Plugs - Sticking With These

Started by FJ1100mjk, January 14, 2017, 03:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1100mjk

After using up a gross of good quality foam type ear plugs, I went in search of suitable replacements. I never liked how the foam ones would sometimes get unlodged when putting my helmet on either.

I found the below when doing a search for a new type. After using them for the last two seasons, I'm sticking with them. They're a putty that softens when kneaded between the finger tips, then are easily molded to the ear canal. When their end is flattened to the outer ear, they are held in place really well. They can be used a number of times, and work well. More expensive than foam, but not that much of a hit.

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

TexasDave

Those look interesting. As an older rider I always use earplugs to protect what little hearing I have left. I would recommend the use of ear plugs to younger riders also. Hearing loss is cumulative over a long period of time and if you want to be able to hear your grand kids you should start wearing them when you are young. I do prefer the connected foam type only because the string makes them easier to remove. For me in particular, if I push them in too far and they fall inside being foam they don't rattle around and the string makes them easier to retrieve.   :biggrin:

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

aviationfred

These are what I use. Connected with my phone, I can listen to music and GPS voice prompts cut on for navigation. No need to look at the GPS Nav screen.

https://www.plugfones.com/

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ribbert

Quote from: aviationfred on January 14, 2017, 07:22:58 PM
These are what I use. Connected with my phone, I can listen to music and GPS voice prompts cut on for navigation. No need to look at the GPS Nav screen.

Fred

Fred, do have trouble with the helmet dislodging them when you pull it over your ears? From the photos, it looks like they stick out a fair bit.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: TexasDave on January 14, 2017, 07:18:48 PM
As an older rider I always use earplugs to protect what little hearing I have left. Hearing loss is cumulative over a long period of time and if you want to be able to hear your grand kids you should start wearing them when you are young.

Dave

No grand kids on the horizon for me just yet, but those are words of wisdom.

I am well aware that my hearing has been going south over the years. Rock concerts in the 70s, gun fire, dirt bike riding and racing, laboring on a noisy shop floor (did wear ear plugs here though) for over a decade, and general ignorance about the effects of them have taken their toll. I also have tinnitus from it all, which double sucks.

Like your teeth and eyes, take care of your ears and spend the money to keep what you have left.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

aviationfred

Quote from: ribbert on January 15, 2017, 05:03:15 AM
Quote from: aviationfred on January 14, 2017, 07:22:58 PM

Fred

Fred, do have trouble with the helmet dislodging them when you pull it over your ears? From the photos, it looks like they stick out a fair bit.

Noel

Noel,

No problem what so ever. I have the Ranger model and I use the silicone barb tips, the foam tips are uncomfortable for my ears. These are actual ear plugs, so they insert into your ear. I am able to pull my helmet on and off the same as if I wasn't wearing them. I have never had one pull out while putting on my helmet.

The only issue I have had is my 1st pair, one of the speaker units detached after about a year of regular use (almost daily). Simple solution, don't pull them out of your ears by the wires.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

4everFJ

I have tried A LOT of earplugs and besides having custom ones done, these are by far the best I have tried:

http://happyears.co/about

They allow you to have conversations and hear the nice exhaust note while still providing protection.
1985 - Yamaha FJ1100 36Y
1978 - Yamaha SR500
1983 - Kawasaki GPZ550 (sold)
1977 - Kawasaki Z400 (sold)