News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Frame Silver/Grey Spray Paint Color Match

Started by Formula51, January 30, 2017, 10:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Formula51

I'm looking to order an engine bar set from RPM and paint them to match my stock 86' FJ1200 frame.  Has anyone found a good color match for the stock silver/grey frame in common spray can's such as Krylon, Duplicolor, Rustoleum, etc.?

big r

Ford Argent Silver is a very close match Big R

Formula51

Quote from: big r on January 30, 2017, 11:16:28 AM
Ford Argent Silver is a very close match Big R

Interesting.  That is 60's muscle car rallye wheel paint.  From memory it seems like it would be very close.  Anyone with a FJ and a muscle car with rallye wheels that can confirm?

big r

I think Father Pat could confirm this You need dark glasses to look at his beautiful ma :good2: :good2: chine

Pat Conlon

Thanks big r  :good2: but I can't confirm the Ford Argent silver color. I did look for it, but could not find it.

I recall that color tip came from Noel (aka:ribbert)

I ending up using ' dull aluminum silver' by Krylon. It's very close to the oem silver.

I suspect the Ford Argent silver would be a closer match. Noel's got a good eye.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

movenon

Hit or miss. I found Argent Silver at Auto Zone here.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

ribbert

Quote from: ribbert on December 12, 2016, 07:47:41 AM
I find the off the shelf aluminum/silver paints too bright. The nearest I have found to frame colour is Ford Argent Silver. You can buy it as VHT wheel paint, which is high temp polyurethane paint, it won't chip and has just the right gloss level. It is expensive though. Or, you can go to an automotive paint shop (not a spray shop but a paint supplier) and they will mix it for you and put it in a spray can. Then give it a layer of clear coat. This is probably the cheaper option. I find this colour indistinguishable from the original.

That's the colour on the swing arm:

Noel

With not much frame exposed on the FJ, it's not a bad idea to paint a whole section, rather than just a spot.

Formula51 is correct, this colour is the standard for car builders, hot rod guys etc. and the VHT product is sold as wheel paint. Generally speaking, anything that has "Silver" or "Aluminium" on the can is too bright.

Over the years I have bought and discarded more cans of silver paint than any other colour searching for that elusive perfect silver/grey colour. I no longer feel the need to look any further.

IMO

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

aviationfred

I think that I remember Noel (ribbert) using the Ford Argent Silver paint on his swing arm and was very pleased with the color match.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Formula51

Quote from: ribbert on January 31, 2017, 08:13:33 AM

Formula51 is correct, this colour is the standard for car builders, hot rod guys etc. and the VHT product is sold as wheel paint. Generally speaking, anything that has "Silver" or "Aluminium" on the can is too bright.

Over the years I have bought and discarded more cans of silver paint than any other colour searching for that elusive perfect silver/grey colour. I no longer feel the need to look any further.

IMO

Noel

Noel.  Thank you.  One thing I have read on the VHT wheel paint is that the clear coat has a yellowish tint to it (noticeable if painted on light colors) and will alter the shade of the base coat.  Some people have said it will give the Argent Silver a green tint.

Did you use the VHT clear, a different manufacturers clear or no clear at all?

ribbert

Quote from: Formula51 on January 31, 2017, 03:49:49 PM
Quote from: ribbert on January 31, 2017, 08:13:33 AM

IMO

Noel

Noel.  Thank you.  One thing I have read on the VHT wheel paint is that the clear coat has a yellowish tint to it (noticeable if painted on light colors) and will alter the shade of the base coat.  Some people have said it will give the Argent Silver a green tint.

Did you use the VHT clear, a different manufacturers clear or no clear at all?

I should have re read that before posting it. Forget about the clear coat. There was a time when that colour was not available from VHT and that was an option, but not a very good one, even the paint shop didn't recommend it. You're right, clear will stuff it up.

VHT "Argent Silver" Wheel Paint is a complete one step product, no clear coat required

It is a polyurethane paint, won't chip and is unaffected by fuel and oil and has just the right gloss level straight out of the can, no further protection is required.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"