News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Auxillary lighting ideas/discussion

Started by Scottericsonon, February 07, 2017, 09:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottericsonon

Whats everybody running for lights? both on FJs and trucks/other bikes/cars etc??
yes I've read the other lighting threads but they seemed to kind of peter out

Tell us about them and/or pictures...good/bad/ugly I don't care

I'm currently thinking about lights for my FJ..

I have an older  Baja Designs ONX6 20" bar on my truck and it's been my first experience with Led lighting...
With that thing lit I literally cannot tell if I have my headlights on ,not exactly "Street legal" but I never run it around anyone else...I just use it kind of how you would use high beams..i.e. dark road ,NO ONE else around

I've been researching small lights to put on the forks (probably fab brackets off the caliper mounts) I'd love to find something maybe 1.5" around max and dim enough to use as DRLs and night time "low beam" but bright enough to see across the intersection (maybe 50 feet) for that position (these I dont mind cheapie "offshore manufactured" lights

then a set of high powered lights up higher to use as auxiliary high beams..
these are where I'm planning to spend some money and get some SERIOUS lights...

Possibly the Baja Design Squadron pro or S2 pro

I like where you have yours at the air scoops...
I've seen brackets off the oil cooler too and that's a posibility
Or on the frame between the upper fairing and chin spoiler (where people bolt crash bars) but with a bracket the will put the in front of the frame rather than outboard

I can't wait for winter to be over   dash2

ribbert

Quote from: Scottericsonon on February 07, 2017, 09:48:40 AM

I've been researching small lights to put on the forks (probably fab brackets off the caliper mounts) I'd love to find something maybe 1.5" around max and dim enough to use as DRLs and night time "low beam" but bright enough to see across the intersection (maybe 50 feet) for that position (these I dont mind cheapie "offshore manufactured" lights

then a set of high powered lights up higher to use as auxiliary high beams..
these are where I'm planning to spend some money and get some SERIOUS lights...

Clearwater "Sevina" are the best you can get, they are a $1050 US / pair and worth every cent of it, but only if you are going to use them enough.

I am no longer an intentional night rider but still manage a couple of thousand km a year at night for various (unplanned) reasons. I was tempted but thought it might just encourage night riding, which where I live, is madness.

To save some money on a second set of lights and not waste mounting options you can wire in a switched programmable dimmer with one setting on 100% and the other anywhere from 0% - 100% for DRL's. Being LED, switching from one to the other is instant. I bought a dimmer intending to do this but realised my HID headlight is very visible to oncoming traffic in the daytime so didn't bother.

I have mine wired through both the high beam and an on/off switch.

IMO

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Scottericsonon

Those are super nice lights...
However I'm riding a $500 bike..I'm not going to put a thousand dollar set of lights on it..
My budget is maybe $400US ....

Yup I know about the dimmers....I had considered going that way (and it's still not off the table)but I figured that I could probably get some junk chinese lights off amazon or something to use as DRLs and night time "more visible" lights for less money than the dimmer costs

and then set the higher powered lights up on the bikes "high beam" so they ONLY come on with the high beam

Not trying to be argumentative but "best" is a subjective term....I'm curious what makes the clearwater lights "the best" other than price? I mean sure they're a lot of lumens but that's a very large light....

I have a Baja Designs light bar on my truck and the build quality on it is just unbelievable
lifetime warranty etc...

I'm considering these  https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/s2-pro-led-driving-combo.asp for my bike
OR these https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/squadron-pro-led-driving-combo.asp if i have the extra coin