News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Hello FJ'lers and greetings from CA

Started by WS, March 16, 2010, 04:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WS

Finally I became a part of your nice forum. I am a Fj fan since 1988 when i drove my first one for a test ride. I had my own motorcycle store in Germany. I was so impressed and thought to myself " one day ". Some years later I find myself in Santa Barbara CA. I was working as a motorcycle mechanic when a customer told me he has a 1989 Fj 1200 for sale if I would know somebody. Off course I knew somebody. I looked at the bike the same day and bought it. I think this was in 1997. I still have the bike love it and come close to the 100000 miles. The only bigger job was replacing the head gasket. Since I was in their I also replaced the rings and did a head overhaul. This was with 82000 miles. Of course I also had to modify. The UK modification side gave me the push. I have a FZR rear wheel, a 98 R1 front end, Fox racing rear shock, gimble rear set, Corbin seat and the rattle Vance & Hines.
Greetings Werner

racerman_27410

Welcome Werner,

:good:

sounds like you got some great mods.... got some pics of the R1 front end? which triples did ya use?

Kookaloo!

Frank 

junkyardroad

Quote1989 Fj 1200

Excellent choice. 89 was the best year for these things.

rktmanfj

Quote from: junkyardroad on March 16, 2010, 09:37:12 PM
Quote1989 Fj 1200

Excellent choice. 89 was the best year for these things.

Especially the silver/white ones.

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

WS

Hello Frank,

I put some pictures up in the Misc FJ Photos section. I used the forks of a 1998 R1. I did what Marc Rittner describes in the UK Fj modification site. I used the original R1 triple clamps and manufactured a adaptor plate so I can use the original handlebar set up. My biggest problem was the speedo drive and the distance caliper mounting to the FJ disc. I did not count the hours of machine work but on the end I was very happy and the bike handles great.

greetings Werner

Mark Olson

Welcome to the group. nice fj with great mods.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

ssuv93

Welcome Werner!
    Good to have you.  My 86 Is as stock as I can get it, exhaust is only major difference.

:drinks: Murray from Maine :hi:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill  (falsely attributed to George Orwell)

"oderint dum metuant"  Lucius Accius, 40B.C. +-  as said by Caligula & Cicero