News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Changing bearings

Started by balky1, February 11, 2017, 09:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balky1

Today I finally got the time to change the rear wheel bearings and while I was doing so, I noticed something that worries me.
At the picture below you can see (at least I hope so because of the picture "quality") a hairline crack at the left side of the rear wheel hub. This is the place where the O-ring goes.

Did anyone ever had a problem like this? What the hell?
Another thing. I also found out why the rear bearings got busted. Left side oil seal got damaged and I found a groove cut into the left side wheel spacer just at the place where the oil seal lip goes. So my new bearings won't last long also.  :diablo:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

FJ1100mjk

If you can do it, you might want to consider just finding another wheel. Should be able source one rather inexpensively. No worries then.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

fj1289

Are you sure it is a crack?  Try cleaning that area up and "polishing" it with fine steel wool or scotchbrite pad.  You may find that it's only a blemish or scratch or something.  Good luck!

balky1

I gave it some thoughts and without polishing there's no way to be sure. Since the wheel is back on the bike, now it's too late.  :nyam1: I suppose that with 30k on the clock it should be just a scratch.
I will have the damaged spacer made somewhere locally out of stainless steel. These OEMs are of aluminum? They do seem light.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009