News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

need engine mod advice

Started by groome, February 16, 2017, 06:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groome

After sitting on the fj for 6 months trying to bring myself to break her after killing my second engine in 2 years (#1 snapped head studs and cracked case #2 snapped camshaft).
Well i just cant do it so heres my dilema and need advise on, what engine mods would people recommend to help the engine to cope with my ham fisted riding style.
I know alot less ham fist would help, but even when i went out for a tame ride i ended up looning it.  So any help would be awesome.
thanks
89  fj12 banshee

Normal = BORING

fj1289

Quote from: groome on February 16, 2017, 06:42:37 PM
After sitting on the fj for 6 months trying to bring myself to break her after killing my second engine in 2 years (#1 snapped head studs and cracked case #2 snapped camshaft).
Well i just cant do it so heres my dilema and need advise on, what engine mods would people recommend to help the engine to cope with my ham fisted riding style.
I know alot less ham fist would help, but even when i went out for a tame ride i ended up looning it.  So any help would be awesome.
thanks

Spin on oil filter adaptor: http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=spinonfilteradapter

Without a doubt - the harder an engine gets used, the more often you need to change the oil and filter.  If you are hard on the clutch, drop the oil pan and clean the pick up screen too.  If not, you'll take out the lower end and probably a rod and the crank case with it if the lower bearings get starved of oil.   No amount of mods will prevent that! 

Take it to a track and really give it hell if that's your thing -- a whole lot more fun to be able to focus just on the ride and not the unpredictable obstacles and threats in uncontrolled settings.  Then you will really be able to see what needs to be modded!  And I'll bet the first answer is SUSPENSION! 

gumby302ho

Quote from: groome on February 16, 2017, 06:42:37 PM
Well i just cant do it so here's my dilema and need advise on, what engine mods would people recommend to help the engine to cope with my ham fisted riding style.
I know alot less ham fist would help, but even when i went out for a tame ride i ended up looning it.  So any help would be awesome.
thanks

You sound like me, I find it impossible to not ring my FJ's neck, over revving from missed shifts and just plain flogging always in the red zone, when I park my bike I would feel sorry for the abuse I have dealt it, then I think about the Legend Race Cars and what those folks unleash on the old FJ mill and now I feel like a saint! The reason why the FJ still lives is this gorgeous Mill that is known to be rugged and can handle some harsh abuse. Like anything else proper maints and care can go along way especially if you live in the red zone. My guess is that your misfortune has come from poor maints or internal work done wrong that has lead to your early internal engine failures or important steps that were ignored to save a buck, yadda yadda the list goes on. Your on the rare side of the spectrum I would guess having two exploding FJ mills.