News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

New to FJ and FJ Owners...

Started by Danzo1, February 18, 2017, 10:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danzo1

Just bought my first FJ1200. Its a 92 ABS model.  A buddy of mine had a 89 back in the day and I always thought that bike was sweet! Always had motorcycles on and off since i was 8 years old. Haven't had a roadbike in about 6 years due to being paranoid of these inattentive drivers out there. But, gonna give it another shot and I think I'll like this bike alot.  Thanks for having me...
"I refuse to tiptoe through life,only to arrive safely to death"

fj1289

Welcome! 

Looks like a very nice example - hope it runs as well as it looks!

You will find a wealth of knowledge here for anything you need (or just want!) when it comes to your FJ  :drinks:

Mattman

Welcome, Great bunch of people and advice that we all appreciate!

Matt
past motorcycles, 26, too many to list!

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum :hi:

Here is the Link for the 2017 Central Rally. It is being held in Wisconsin this year.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=16222.0

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJmonkey

Welcome Danzo, the bike looks really clean and in good shape. But if you stick around then you should be warned... Performing/adding modifications that improve your FJ making it an even better ride, is addictive. We call it Moditus. The other addiction is attending rallies, once you make one, you gotta have another... Some are so hooked they attend more than one each year. Disclamer out of the way, check. Welcome expressed, check. What other bikes have you ridden and liked or disliked?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

PaulG

Quote from: FJmonkey on February 18, 2017, 11:45:58 PM
... Performing/adding modifications that improve your FJ making it an even better ride, is addictive

You're one step ahead of the game already - and maybe don't  realize it yet. You already have aftermarket mirrors.  Resistance is futile!  :diablo:  I have a 92 ABS also.  Looks like a nice clean example. What's her mileage?   :good:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Goody

Have been thinking of changing bikes my 91 for something more modern the yam has 89000 on the clock with no mangers so far ( must be all the love and attention it gets)still runs like a dream all original . Took my friends 97 blackbird with 4000 kms on the clock yer 4000 kms fantastic condition . Did about 300ks in perfect weather here in NZ . Goes like a stabbed rat , needs risers. NA forget it I'll keep the FJ1200 no comparison.
John NZ.

giantkiller

Welcome Danzo1. Plymouth is just up the road from Fond du Lac. Have to go for a ride sometime.
You should definitely go to the Central rally.

Welcome neighbor
Dan McCoy
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Danzo1

Yeah its in pretty good shape. 29000 miles on it. Bought it from the second owner who said his wife rode it alot???  Im going through it now and replacing all the common maintenance items and took off the "ankle catcher" rear turnsignals for some smaller LED ones. i hope it will treat me good. Love the styling of the bike, has the sportbike look to it but not all bent over on it. As far as me, Ive had bikes since I was 8 and started with the famous Honda Z50 that was a hardtail at he time. Always had MX bikes and raced for about 3 years but busted up some body parts doing that, now just ride em...no racing. Ive had a few Yamaha "enduros", 3 Suzuki GS1100s, 92 CBR600F2, 86 FZ700, plenty of MX bikes and prolly a couple more I cant remember.  I also raced JetSkiis (the stand up type) back in the 90s and am also a avid snowmobiler during the winter months with trips to the Michigan UP. I haven't had a roadbike for about 6-7 years now as i got paranoid of these inattentive drivers out there. Gonna give it another try and hope it works out safely. Lastly, is there anything that really stands out with my 92 FJ that I should look into??..problems, maint items, etc etc?   Thanks guys for any info passed on...

PaulG

With all those previous bikes and experience one would assume you're pretty handy with a wrench.  The FJ is a fairly simple bike to work on.  Even for thumblefingers like myself. Within a few years of their debut they were considered low tech for the time.

With such low mileage, and if it's been well attended, you shouldn't have too much to worry about. It's barely broken in engine wise.

Check the fork oil condition (or just change it regardless). Inspect the rear shock linkage bearings and the swing arm pivot. If not maintained the grease can dry up over time.  The front rubber mounts for the engine may need inspecting/regreasing. If you get some excessive vibes through the bars and footpegs that's the usual culprit. There is a puller design in the files section for it that can be homemade easily.

Do  a carb balance. If they don't leak - leave them alone for now.

Check the date code on the tires. Replace if they are 3-5 yrs or older. Even if they have decent tread.

Other than that get out and enjoy it... after all that snow melts.  :good2:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Danzo1

Thanks PaulG for the tips. I do almost all wrenching on my stuff myself, unless its major like rebuilds. I must admit that my nemisis has always been carburetors. I do want to take the float bowls of and clean them though to see if theres any gunk in there. Hopefully i dont F that up.......