News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

What is a Lockhart Phillips "full" lower fairing worth?

Started by TheRadBaron, February 19, 2017, 10:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRadBaron

Last year I decided to sell my '84 because I've been riding off road and "adventure" a lot and it just wasn't getting used.  But it seems that I'm not going to be able to sell it without lowering the price to a point that's lower than the bike is worth to me.  So I've decided to keep it.  Which actually makes me very happy.  Anyways, on to my question.  When I bought this bike it came with a fiberglass lower fairing with a lot more coverage than the original.  After doing some research it appears to be a Lockhart Phillips and I understand that they're pretty rare at this point.  Mine is in pretty good condition.  Just some minor scrapes and slight cracking around some of the mounting holes.  Nothing serious.
So what do you guys think something like this is worth?  I like it but I'm considering selling it to fund other parts.  Thanks.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.  -Tacitus

aviationfred

I was seriously wanting one for my 1200. I didn't want the full 1200 version and searched for 18 months for the 3/4 FJ1100 version like yours. I found a couple of '85 white ones but couldn't close the deal. I ended up finding a Red one like yours. I paid $350.00 then another $100.00 in paint to get it white.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

fj1289

Can you post some detailed pictures of how it is mounted?  Especially the upper rear mounts?  Thanks!

aviationfred

Quote from: fj1289 on February 19, 2017, 07:28:02 PM
Can you post some detailed pictures of how it is mounted?  Especially the upper rear mounts?  Thanks!

The upper rear mounts are real long screws with a solid spacer the replaces a clutch cover screw on the right and a sprocket cover screw on the left. Mine is off at the moment, so I can't post any photos.

I had to make brackets for the forward upper mounts as the 1200 mounts are higher than the 1100.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

TheRadBaron

Thanks for the info, Fred.
I'd be happy to take some pictures except that I don't have the fairing on the bike at the moment and I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to put it on.  I can tell you that it mounts using long bolts and spacers.  The bolt goes into the upper clutch cover on the right side and the upper sprocket cover on the left.  They're both 100mm or slightly longer IIRC, and there are spacers to take up the space between the engine and the fairing.  I'll try to get the fairing put back onto the bike soon and get some pictures posted.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.  -Tacitus

fj1289

Thanks guys.   That gives me enough to go on.   I've got a fiberglass lower for maybe an 86/87 that needs some repairs -- it'll serve as a base to work up an extended belly cowl for the race bike.  I was going to trim it down to copy the profile of the late model cowls, but think I'll try a taller profile like the Lockhart lowers.  Having some additional mounting points will be good too. 

aviationfred

Quote from: fj1289 on February 19, 2017, 09:55:11 PM
Thanks guys.   That gives me enough to go on.   I've got a fiberglass lower for maybe an 86/87 that needs some repairs -- it'll serve as a base to work up an extended belly cowl for the race bike.  I was going to trim it down to copy the profile of the late model cowls, but think I'll try a taller profile like the Lockhart lowers.  Having some additional mounting points will be good too. 

Chris,

Take a look here. You may be able to purchase a ready made lower that could serve the purpose that you are looking for.

https://www.skidmarx.co.uk/yamaha/fj1100-all-fairing-lowers.html?search_query=fj1100&results=4

I know the sample photo is of a 1200. I would imagine the 1100 cowling would not be very much different.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

fj1289

Quote from: aviationfred on February 20, 2017, 08:08:16 AM
Quote from: fj1289 on February 19, 2017, 09:55:11 PM

Chris,

Take a look here. You may be able to purchase a ready made lower that could serve the purpose that you are looking for.

https://www.skidmarx.co.uk/yamaha/fj1100-all-fairing-lowers.html?search_query=fj1100&results=4

I know the sample photo is of a 1200. I would imagine the 1100 cowling would not be very much different.

Fred

I've sent them an email about shipping costs. 

How is the upper aft point mounted?  Is it a spacer and a longer bolt for the engine covers on each side?  Or a bracket that mounts to an engine cover bolt?  Or another setup? 

Ultimately, I'm looking to fabricate an extended lower cowling similar to this to hopefully cut a bit of drag under the bike.  Mine is particularly bad with the shock linkage and nitrous bottle "in the breeze" down there. 

fj1289

This may be a better picture

I picture it in my mind as an oversized FJ style belly pan vice a full lower fairing.  The lockhart style strikes a balance between the two. 

fj1289

Quote from: TheRadBaron on February 19, 2017, 07:43:25 PM
Thanks for the info, Fred.
I'd be happy to take some pictures except that I don't have the fairing on the bike at the moment and I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to put it on.  I can tell you that it mounts using long bolts and spacers.  The bolt goes into the upper clutch cover on the right side and the upper sprocket cover on the left.  They're both 100mm or slightly longer IIRC, and there are spacers to take up the space between the engine and the fairing.  I'll try to get the fairing put back onto the bike soon and get some pictures posted.

disregard, found the answer  :Facepalm:

Canadianlocost

@TheRadBaron, did you sell your lower fairing? I am doing a resto of an 84, and hope to find one of these, or an OEM bellypan. I bought a set of the full Lockhart lowers for a 1200, not realizing the 1100 upper is a bunch shorter, and won't work. I am asking $120 for the 1200 set I just posted.
1984 FJ1100 Red/Silver(Mods, 90 front forks with Patriot springs, 90 rear suspension, wheels and engine, unipods, Blue Dot calipers, Corbin seat, Zero Gravity smoke screen)
1992 YSR 80 (Black)
1993 EX500 (house knock around bike)
2006 Locost Super 7 Replica (Rotory power)

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: Canadianlocost on June 27, 2017, 06:56:37 PM
I am doing a resto of an 84, and hope to find one of these, or an OEM bellypan.

I have an '84 OEM lower cowl. PM me, if interested.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com