News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

WARNING: Six pot brake with 14mm master cylinder.

Started by Shaarth, February 26, 2017, 09:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaarth

I run six pot calipers on my Vmax, XS1100, K1100rs, and my new project the Great FJ1200. In an emergency I want stop!!!. If you use the stock master cylinder, you will be pushing more fluid to move the pistons and will have a little more movement of the brake lever. You will have a better feel when braking. But BEWARE: If you go to a 14mm master cylinder, there will be alot more movement of the brake lever. With the brake lever adjusted all the way out, when braking hard the lever will be close to the throttle grip. If your wearing thick winter gloves it's easy to get your fingers trapped between the lever and throttle grip. Your braking will be inadequate. Of coarse if you release the brake lever and remove your fingers, your not using your brakes and might crash. I changed the way I grip the brake lever. I use 14mm master cylinders on all my bikes but the BMW. It's just a personal preference. If old habits die hard, keep the stock master cylinder. The stock master cylinder  will work better with six pot calipers. Don't be sitting on the curb looking at what's left of your favorite bike..Life is great.. Enjoy it.
Semper Fidelis

CutterBill

Let's see...
Your title has some vague warning about using a 14mm master, then you say that you always use a 14mm master, then you say that the stock (5/8") master will work better.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

Shaarth

Quote from: CutterBill on March 04, 2017, 07:39:17 AM
Let's see...
Your title has some vague warning about using a 14mm master, then you say that you always use a 14mm master, then you say that the stock (5/8") master will work better.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...
Bill
  Sorry to so confusing. The (5/8") master will work better with a six pot caliper than on a stock caliper. When braking, the six pot will push more fluid. There will be more hand lever movement. Lighter lever pull. Longer travel. Better control. A 14mm master will have even  more movement and a lighter lever pull. One finger when hard braking is all I need. Heavy gloves can get trapped between the lever and throttle. It happened to me when I was playing around in a big parking lot. I couldn't stop very well because my hand was stuck between the brake lever and throttle. I released the brake to free my trapped fingers. I wasn't braking. The time and distance it took me to brake was a lot longer. To correct the problem I  changed the way I hold the brake lever. The (5/8") will work better on a six pot. And the (14mm) will work even better. But the longer lever movement can get the rider in big trouble if he holds the brake lever the wrong way. I wanted riders to know what they were getting into if to chose the (14mm). I have adjusted my brake grip and like the feel of the 14mm. I'm now using a 08 09 GXR 750 14mm radial brake master cylinder. The stock adjustable lever has more room between the lever and throttle. Sorry I'm a little long winded.
Semper Fidelis