News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

"THERE'S A NEW KIND OF HARLEY SHREDDING THE STREET"

Started by FJ1100mjk, March 25, 2017, 06:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1100mjk

What's this?

USD forks, SS-braided brake lines, triple-disc brakes, 9,000 RPM redline, 750 cc engine liquid-cooling, fly screen, lightweight 17" rims, 27 degree rake angle, 516 pounds "weight in running order", optional ABS, 54 MPG, ... !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2017 Street Rod

2017 Street Rod Specs

And similarly, but with 1200 cc and 18/19" hoops ...

2017 Roadster

2017 Roadster Specs

Mandatory Riding Gear...

Shirt

Gloves

Helmet

No Image Available

:Facepalm:

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

TexasDave

OK Marty buy a Harley and all the paraphernalia required to go with it. Yes I still own one along with the leather vest and leather chaps and no finger leather gloves. But I am not a true Harley rider because I do wear a helmet. More than half the Harley riders I see in Texas do not ride with a helmet. This probably does improve the gene pool though. If you do buy a Harley don't sell the FJ. The Harley is no where near as much fun to ride.

Dave

A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: TexasDave on March 25, 2017, 08:12:57 AM
OK Marty buy a Harley and all the paraphernalia required to go with it.

If you do buy a Harley don't sell the FJ. The Harley is no where near as much fun to ride.

Dave

Dave:

Buying a Harley, isn't even on my radar. So many other makes and models I'd buy first.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Tor-King

I can see the "new" Street Rod meeting its demise just like the XR1200.  Give me the new Yamaha XSR900 and I will be a happy guy.
1993 Yamaha FJ1200
1988 Yamaha FJ1200
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
1984 Honda Nighthawk S 750
1972 Yamaha XS-2
1972 Honda CT70
1974 Honda CT70
1992 Yamaha DT50 MX
2012 Honda CBR250R
2008 Honda CBR125R

markmartin

Nice looking bike IMO, but the spec sheet doesn't disclose what every potential Harley owner really wants to know.

How loud is it??

Pat Conlon

The new(ish) FJ-09 is pretty nice... I know Kurt loves his.
I've always been a big fan of the 3 cylinder engine design, but only 900 cc....?

Therefore I'll wait for the FJ-1200 triple or when Trimuph bumps its street fighter triple to 1200 cc

They need an answer to the KTM Super Duke and torque is where it's at, for street riding.

Yea, a smooth triple with (3) 400cc jugs....mmmmmm tasty.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

TexasDave

Yes the FJ09 is a nice bike. Yamaha classifies it as a sport tourer with optional luggage for long distance touring. So why does it not have CRUISE CONTROL? The FZ10 sport bike has it. The Super Tenere dual sport has it. Yamaha needs to pull it's head out of it's _ss and put it on the FJ09. Of course it took them years to figure out the FJR should have it so I'm not going to hold my breath to see it on the FJ09 or even a FJ1200. But we will see cruise control on all their other non touring bikes. OK rant over.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

yamaha fj rider

Dave, aftermarket cruse is available or the FJ-09 or XSR900. Cost is about $550.00, plug and play, no cutting the wiring harness and it's awesome.

I think, because of the complaints from the FJ-09 owners is why the FZ-10 got cruse.

Kurt

93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

TexasDave

It took Yamaha a few years to put cruise on their FJR and it is their top of the line tourer. I think the only reason was most of the other mfgs had it as standard equipment on their tourers. As the fj09 is called a "sport/tourer" by Yamaha I don't see why cruise is not offered at least as an option for a few dollars more. Yamaha uses the same control housing on the Super Tenere with cruise that they use on the FJ09, just with the spaces blocked off. It would not take a lot of effort for Yamaha to put it on the FJ09. If Yamaha even looked at the FJ09 web site it is one of the most popular mods on there. The  FJ09 would still sell very well with a price bump if it included cruise.

Dave

yamaha fj rider

Quote from: TexasDave on March 28, 2017, 08:24:52 PM
It took Yamaha a few years to put cruise on their FJR and it is their top of the line tourer. I think the only reason was most of the other mfgs had it as standard equipment on their tourers. As the fj09 is called a "sport/tourer" by Yamaha I don't see why cruise is not offered at least as an option for a few dollars more. Yamaha uses the same control housing on the Super Tenere with cruise that they use on the FJ09, just with the spaces blocked off. It would not take a lot of effort for Yamaha to put it on the FJ09. If Yamaha even looked at the FJ09 web site it is one of the most popular mods on there. The  FJ09 would still sell very well with a price bump if it included cruise.

Dave

I agree and am looking forward to seeing the FJ-09 gen 2 when it comes out. I think it will be a full liter and have cruse standard or maybe a deluxe version with cruse, heated grips, color matching bags.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

PaulG

Quote from: TexasDave on March 26, 2017, 06:52:53 PM
....Yamaha needs to pull it's head out of it's _ss and put it on the FJ09....

Dave

Engineers & designers probably had it.

The marketers probably thought it was a good selling point.

The accountants probably shoved their heads right back up their asses cuz it wouldn't meet the pricing point.   :mail1:

Sometimes even the best companies drop the ball.  Don't see why any bike that has EFI shouldn't come with it as either standard or option.  It would bring the individual cost down if offered across all the different models.
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

FJ_Hooligan

Remember, this is the company that never intended to import the FJR into the US because their marketers thought that all we wanted was cruisers and crotch rockets. 

DavidR.