News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Holes in my head

Started by Miker, June 02, 2019, 08:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miker

Just rebuilt the petcock on my 85 FJ1100 as the damn thing was leaking yet again.  While the tank was off, I noticed four holes in my cylinder head. Each hole is by a bolt. The metal in those areas appears thin. I've read a hole in the head can form for a number of reasons, but I'd bet on overheating due to the phoenix climate and original oil cooler.  I bought the bike with around 28k miles aka bought a bike with a tachometer with 28k miles.  Up to about 34k now.  No idea how long the holes have been there.

I was thinking I would just remove the head and JB Weld those holes.  Everything I've read says you might as well cleanup and rebuild the whole damn engine if you are going to go to the trouble of removing the head.  At the moment, I really can't afford the time or money to replace the head gasket, hone cylinders, new rings, lap valves, base gasket, etc etc etc.  Has anyone ever seen this issue on a FJ before?  How bad do the holes look and can get away with putting everything off for a while?
1985 FJ1100
2003 ZX-12R

big r

I believe those are just from the casting. Doesn't look like they are leaking any thing, if they were you would see soot or carbon around them. I am sure some one on here with more knowledge than me will chime in

Miker

Quote from: big r on June 02, 2019, 08:58:55 PM
I believe those are just from the casting. Doesn't look like they are leaking any thing, if they were you would see soot or carbon around them. I am sure some one on here with more knowledge than me will chime in

That would make my day if that's true. They look jagged to me, so I thought they might be wear holes.  You're right they're not leaking anything.
1985 FJ1100
2003 ZX-12R

red

Quote from: Miker on June 02, 2019, 08:36:46 PMWhile the tank was off, I noticed four holes in my cylinder head. Each hole is by a bolt. The metal in those areas appears thin.  I was thinking I would just remove the head and JB Weld those holes.
Miker,

I can't say if epoxy is the right cure or not, but there are much better epoxies made for high heat applications.  I like JB Weld, too, but it does have limits.  Contact them, and ask if they have the right epoxy for you.  Contact Permatex and 3M as well; you may find an excellent answer from them, or they may tell you what product you need, if they don't make it.

If you need an all-new petcock, RPM has them.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Old Rider

Those holes is supposed to be there. That is drainholes for water .The cylinderstuds by that holes has a rubber wrapping to protect them from rusting also.

Miker

Quote from: Old Rider on June 03, 2019, 12:27:10 AM
Those holes is supposed to be there. That is drainholes for water .The cylinderstuds by that holes has a rubber wrapping to protect them from rusting also.

Thanks very much. I'm really glad I don't have to rip the bike apart right now.
1985 FJ1100
2003 ZX-12R