News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Gearbox problem

Started by mo123, March 30, 2017, 04:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

Quote from: mo123 on March 31, 2017, 01:15:34 PM
Is it that common for them to go? Am I more than likely going to have the same problem later on? Should I see if I can cancel the order and pick up a later model gearbox and forks?

If you can not buy new parts...... My answer to your questions are....

Yes, ....... Is it common for them to go? All 1984-1987 FJ transmissions have a known issue with weak shift forks. Specially 2nd gear
Yes, ....... Am I more than likely going to have the same problem later on? You are looking at a used gearbox from the exact same generation as what you have. The likelihood is very high.
Yes, ....... Should I see if I can cancel the order and pick up a later model gearbox and forks? The shift forks were upgrade for the 1988 model year and later. The models to source a gearbox from are the
3CV/3CW, and the 3YA/3XW

Ed has said it twice, I am going to say it a third time. Do Not Install A Used 1TX Gearbox and Shift Forks.

You have to tear the engine down to fix your problem. You have stated that you can not afford all new parts. Be more selective and locate a good used gearbox from a 3CV/3CW or 3YA/3XW. If possible buy the new shift forks from RPM. $135.00USD for the set of 3 is money well spent. Like Ed mentioned.....This is a time consuming and expensive fix to do once. If you cut corners, (install a 1TX gearbox and used shift forks) there is a high probability that 2-5 years down the road you will have to do it again.

If you are dead set about installing the used 1TX gearbox and shift forks.......At least shit can the used shift forks and install a new set of 3.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

mo123

I thought I was under pressure to do it asap in case I did any further damage riding it as-is. I've already gotten used to going easy on first and getting into second quickly to avoid it jumping. It feels ok in all other gears. If that's the case then I will save up and do it right..

FJmonkey

My '86 has this problem in 2nd gear. I shift early into third, been doing it for over 10 years with no additional problems. I just too damn cheap to fix it. Besides, Kokaloo happens in third as you hit redline....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

mo123

That's reassuring, does yours make the same rattle in neutral when leaned over to the side? Got out of the deal with the other 1tx box BTW.

simi_ed

Quote from: mo123 on March 31, 2017, 02:11:25 PM
I thought I was under pressure to do it asap in case I did any further damage riding it as-is. I've already gotten used to going easy on first and getting into second quickly to avoid it jumping. It feels ok in all other gears. If that's the case then I will save up and do it right..

The rattle is probably as described by your local shop. The gears are rubbing when the clutch is engaged and the bike is parked on side stand. Simple fix, don't do that!  Put it on center stand when starting, then ride away. I'll bet that a prolonged idling session with the gear rubbing and clunking/rubbing will wear material away that will get circulated in your oil.  :bad:
Stay off the throttle and short shift 1st gear, no aggressive downshifts into 1st. Don't idle on the sidestand.  Avoid the issue by outsmarting the problem, until you're in a position to do a proper fix.
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

FJmonkey

Any noise during idle on the side stand or center stand is the starter chain rattle. My '89 has the same noise, keeping the idle up around 1100 and enjoy the engine talking to you.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

CutterBill

Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

Old Rider

WARNING! I want to put out a warning on riding with a bad second gear. About 27 years ago On my 85 fj1100 the secondgear started to jump out on hard aceleration and some wheelie. after a time it got worse but i ignored it and just ride the bike .Then one day i crashed in a left cornering because the rear wheel locked up.I was lucky and did not get any bad injuries.When i had picked up the bike again i realized that the gearbox was blown as it was impossible to get it in any gear included freegear. I had to come back later and pick up the bike with a van to get it home.
I got it repaired by a very good road racing mecanic at half the price of what yamaha wanted.The gearbox worked perfect for many years after that.
So riding with a bad secondgear is risky.

racerrad8

Quote from: mo123 on March 31, 2017, 08:49:26 AM
Thanks, I've picked up a second hand complete gearbox from another 1to including selector forks so that should sort it. I'm in Ireland.

You probably would better off finding a 3XW or 3CV transmission. At least those were built later after some of the bugs has been works out of the 1100 and 1TX.

The shift forks you got with the used 1TX transmission are the old style, short design. they flexed excessively and was the reason the gear box had problems. The shift forks Fred has already listed above are the current shift forks used in the XJR1300. The latest and greatest, not 30+ years old...

Ed do you still have the photos of your trans that we replaced? I thought I had them, but I cannot find them.

It has already been said many times, do it one and do it right. if you short cut this job you will not be happy with the results.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

mo123

Hi Randy, thanks for that. Would a set of shift forks for a '98-'01 xjr 1300 work? I have a lead on a set not too far away that came out of one with 20k miles on it. I'll wait until I can get a known good gearbox from a very late FJ1200 before I do the work as well and look into getting the dogs undercut locally. In the meantime I'll go easy on the bike, especially in first.

racerrad8

Quote from: mo123 on April 03, 2017, 03:37:51 AM
Would a set of shift forks for a '98-'01 xjr 1300 work?

Will they work...

Yes, but...

I do not know if they are the best/latest/current design produced today.

Your best bet on forks is new as everyone has already mentioned...

And FYI, the XJR1200/XJR1300 transmissions will not work. The output shaft is 8mm longer.

It will be interesting to see first gear when you take out the transmission. If the gear is installed backwards, it will not properly engage and jump out of gear as you describe. Take some photos when you take it apart.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

simi_ed

Quote from: racerrad8 on April 03, 2017, 10:50:10 AM
Quote from: mo123 on April 03, 2017, 03:37:51 AM
Would a set of shift forks for a '98-'01 xjr 1300 work?

Will they work...

Yes, but...

I do not know if they are the best/latest/current design produced today.

Your best bet on forks is new as everyone has already mentioned...

And FYI, the XJR1200/XJR1300 transmissions will not work. The output shaft is 8mm longer.

It will be interesting to see first gear when you take out the transmission. If the gear is installed backwards, it will not properly engage and jump out of gear as you describe. Take some photos when you take it apart.

Randy - RPM

Ok mo or 123 or Mope,
You heard from the collective wisdom of many FJ owners with years of experience, you've heard from The Expert, Randy and still you want to go your own way.  What gives?  Do you think we're are bullshitting you?  Do you think you're smarter that the rest of us?  Or are you just going to keep asking until we all admit 'Owww shucks, we were just kidding'.
You came soliciting advice; asked and answered. Repeatedly.

Stop asking!!! And agree to follow the recommendations! Or just stop asking for validation and do your own thing.
I'll be happy to rub it in later when it goes awry!   :rofl2: :good: :sarcastic: :dance2:
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

RPM - Robert

Quote from: simi_ed on March 31, 2017, 12:22:00 PM
Quote from: mo123 on March 31, 2017, 08:49:26 AM
Thanks, I've picked up a second hand complete gearbox from another 1to including selector forks so that should sort it. I'm in Ireland.
Wow!  Fundamentally bad choice!  
Are the dogs worn on this used trans?  If so, you just took your POS and installed somebody else's POS.  How about the bearings?  Same goes here.  Used shift forks? :mocking:
I did something similar, got to do it over again.  I only fixed the rounded 2nd gear.  The first time I gave WOT in 1st gear, that fork failed, rounding the dogs & bending the 1st gear fork (OK, it was one of Randy's hot rod 1314cc motors ...) Motor back out, upside down.  Gut bottom end, split cases. Replace bent fork and entire gear set with undercut gears.  Reassemble & reinstall! Problem solved, even with (hotter) 1350 motor and WOT in 1st or 2nd gear. Don't be as stupid foolish as I was, you'll regret it!
It's your bike, it, your money & your time so you can make your own decisions ...  I have nothing more to say.  :unknown:

THREAD BUMP* I have had several people calling about replacing a single shift fork or only transmission or only shift forks only as of late.