News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Case has crack

Started by Mike m, April 02, 2017, 12:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike m

Can this be jb welded.is this a stress area :Facepalm:

Earl Svorks

Hey Mike,
That's a nasty crack. I don't think there's much point in trying to glue it up. I'd be more concerned about what forces were at work to cause that in the first place. Have the cases ever been apart ? I wonder if the steel dowel in that hole was too long? To fix that break, I would think the cases would need to be split, then the crack prepped then TIG welded. In the mean time, I think you could just leave it as it is. I doubt that you'll get any leakage and the actual crack can't get any worse.  Other opinions may differ as I'm sure we'll see.
 Simon

FJmonkey

That cracked boss is not a real problem as long as no oil is leaking. A cold weld or bond is not likely to gain much. The crack is dirty/oily and if you can't get it clean then any bonding material will not stick. A proper fix is TIG welding with the cases split. If it is not leaking oil then just keep an eye on it.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mike m

Idk if my case has been apart.how can I tell?

simi_ed

Don't bother with JB Weld. This needs to be welded to do anything.  You might as well use chewing gun, it'll have the same effect (0).  Is this actually leaking?  You need to clean & inspect this carefully.  If it is the beginning (or worse, the tail end!) of a crack you got major worries.  I'd bet that is not the case, however.
My 2ยข
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Mike m

So all the members here with fj 1100,1200 have never seen this issue correct?

X-Ray

I've got to say that is a new one to me Mike.
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Urban_Legend

I just had a look at my FJ11. No crack, but did notice a cast line there, which your crack seems to follow. This cast line would be a weak point, but I have never heard of it cracking before. I would say that it has been overtightened by a PO. Keep an eye on it for oil seepage. It will be hard to ignore now that you know it is there.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Mike m