News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

New Tires

Started by aviationfred, April 05, 2017, 10:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

I will be needing to install a new set of tires for my trip out to the West Coast Rally in June. These tires have been out for a few years and I have not heard of any FJ owners trying them. Shinko 016 Verge 2X.

I have been running Continental Conti-Motions for a few years now. At $200.00 a set, I am curious to see how they measure up to the Conti's. The Conti's are a single compound tire and the Shinko's are a dual compound.

120/70/17 and 180/55/17

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

andyoutandabout

Fred, George Bowers rode like a demon on a set of Shikos, so they must be fairly decent.
I'm stuck on Michelin PS4 that last about 40% longer than PS3 and grip gloriously.
Just spent 350 bucks at motorcyclesuperstore on a set, which is pricey compared to the Contis, but cheap in the peace of mind department.
Andy
life without a bike is just life

Pat Conlon

I wonder what ever happened to George, is he still riding?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

CutterBill

Fred,
I just bought those same tires... Shinko 016.  $208 for the set, delivered, thru Amazon. But I won't have a chance to install them until next weekend, so I can't tell you anything about them.

But I do have a set of Shinko 705's on my V-Strom 650 and they are great tires, really happy with them.  So I have high hopes for the 016's on the FJ.  I'll make a post after I have a few miles on them.
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

aviationfred

Thank you Bill,

Mine arrived today. $201.00 from Chaparral eBay store. My tires currently have plenty of tread, so I will install mine sometime in Mid May in Preparation for the ride out to the WCR.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

FJ_Hooligan

I think Randy T. used Shinkos.  He always spoke well of them.

I have a question:

Has anyone ever bought a tire that they hated?

I've used Bridgestones, Dunlops, Michelins, Contis, Pirellis, Metezler, and others and I can't really complain about any of them.  They all worked well and never caused any incidents.  I even had a set that matched a Dunlop front radial with a bias ply Dunlop Harley rear tire.  I rode that set of tires as hard as any of the others and never had a problem. 

My only complaint is some of them wore out too quickly.  I was really disappointed with the life of the Dunlop Roadsmart. I got about the same life out of them as the Michelin Pilot Power.  The Bridgestone BT023 also wore quickly.

I think I got the best mileage out of an original Pilot Road front tire on my commuter bike (FZ1).  That tire went about 12000 miles.
DavidR.

ribbert

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on April 07, 2017, 10:43:04 AM

I have a question:

Has anyone ever bought a tire that they hated?

The last tyre I recall really disliking was a Dunlop Roadsmart. Since then I have had 4 sets of Conti RA2's, Metzeler Z8's, Michelin PR4's and now Metzeler 01's. I use a couple of sets a year.

The PR4's were good when they were new (but not as sticky as the Metzelers) but from about half wear, got progressively worse. I always change my tyres in pairs but a premature replacement of the rear after putting a hole in it saw me running the front down further than I would normally. By the time I changed it last week I could not wait to see the back of it. It still hand a rounded profile with slightly more tread in the centre than the sides but the steering had become like a truck and the tramlining scary at times. I even put extra air in it to try an lighten it up a bit. It was bad enough to take some of the fun out of the last couple of days on the tight stuff coming home from the rally.

I would not use them again. They're OK if you don't run them right down but there are better tyres out there. I love the Metzeler 01's.

IMO

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

giantkiller

Only one's that I disliked were the metzelers z4s. Didn't hate them, I was just disappointed. They wore fast . And the front cupped badly. After that ran pr3s loved them great grip when dragging parts on really tight corners. And almost magical In hard rain. Plus they wore great. The pr4s I've been running since work almost as good as the 3s. Was hoping that they somehow made an improvement over the 3... But I have noticed a little more slide on the rear wheel when powering out of the roundy rounds. With the front wheel in the air and the back tire spinning. Just not quite as good as the 3s. I think they gave up a touch of stick to get slightly more mileage​. But I have been hearing that the z8s are better than the pr3/4s. And now supposedly the 01s are even better. So will have to give them a try next.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1