News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

RPM fork valve and spring fitting

Started by ELIMINATOR, April 13, 2017, 03:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Conlon

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on May 17, 2017, 10:31:52 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong.  But don't you HAVE to remove USD forks to drain the oil?  There is no drain screw on the bottom of the fork?

Oh....yea....its been so long, I forgot all about them.... :Facepalm:

Carry on....

Move along people.....nothing to see here.....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Mike Ramos on May 17, 2017, 11:36:10 PM
Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 17, 2017, 11:30:30 PM
I'm gettin a wee bit antsy.....is it rally time yet? :flag_of_truce:

Hmmm, Mr. C. - perhaps we can get started early? 

I'll bring the booze & you bring the babes...?

Just a thought...

Note to self: DO NOT leave the forum screen up for viewing.....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJ_Hooligan

And once again what I'd hoped would be useful knowledge for the FJ population gets swamped with a bunch of bullshit noise.

Makes me wonder why I even try.

Perhaps I'll just stop trying.
DavidR.

balky1

You guys are complicating it too much. I use a measuring cylinder, heat up the oil and put the specified amount in each tube. Some oil always stays in the cylinder, but the amount that stayed in is the same for both measurements. A mL or two of difference makes no change. If you wish to complicate your life over such things, go for it. I have more important things in my life to think about than a couple of mL of oil difference in the tubes.  :bomb: :bomb:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

FJ_Hooligan

Really, that's what you take from this?

I'm trying to simplify it for everyone,

But it appears to be too complex for anyone one to understand.

That's just sad
DavidR.

Sparky84

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on May 17, 2017, 06:39:26 PM
Drop the tape measure in the middle of the tube and you'll get it close enough. 

Its always the logical advice that seems to win out,
and it'll be easier

Cheers Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

FJmonkey

Don't get your tape measure into an oily mess, just use a Dip Stick. Make your own, it is only a reference to keep both sides filled the same.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on May 17, 2017, 10:13:22 PM
This is almost embarrassing.

My formula is correct.

Yes, perhaps for you.

Go ahead and input the formula you presented into Excel, and see what you get.

I don't know what calculator you're using, but with my calculator we apparently get the same answer.

If you want to get pissy about it maybe you need a new calculator or lessons in using one.

Clear example of the pot calling the kettle black.

Where did you learn your trig?

Same level you did, a stopping point, before I moved onto to a higher education, that entailed proving myself in higher mathematics (Calculus and beyond), where one has to show their work to prove their answers. Not just punch numbers into a calculator. It never has occurred to you what the calculator's software does, when  "degree mode" button is used, does it?

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on May 17, 2017, 10:22:27 PM
Randy,

the level at the centerline of the fork does not change.  That was my original message.

Wrong again. Yes it does.

Visualize what happens to the to the midpoint of the oil's level, when the fork tube is rotated from vertical to 27 degrees. See graphics posted earlier.

Randy: Similar triangles can be employed to derive the new location of the oil level's midpoint, with the fork at 27 degrees from vertical. See example...

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on May 17, 2017, 11:48:44 PM
And once again what I'd hoped would be useful knowledge for the FJ population gets swamped with a bunch of bullshit noise.

Makes me wonder why I even try.

Perhaps I'll just stop trying.

Please, don't do that SlowOldGuy.  Look what happened in the past, when you left in a huff, when others questioned your input. Your knowledge and experience are needed here. You just need to keep your temper, and arrogance in-check.

Hell, I even defended you at one time for your previous contributions after you left. Another member, described what had happened and why you left, after my defense of you. Looks like were coming full circle again.

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

jscgdunn

Nope, you are not allowed to quit!  We need everyone up here....think about it like you are in an Italian family.....we can't always agree and we are act rude in a way to family members that we would never think of with friends or acquaintances, b acquaintances....but now it's time for pasta.   :hi:
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

jscgdunn

Agreed...I just use the measure as spec'd in the manual...no warm up though.
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

balky1

Quote from: jscgdunn on May 18, 2017, 07:54:50 AM
Agreed...I just use the measure as spec'd in the manual...no warm up though.

And the life is alot easier, isn't it?  :yahoo:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

FJ_Hooligan

Well Marty,
I have no idea what your last post means.  Yes similar triangles are similar triangles, what does that prove here?

Why don't you pick up a water bottle and tilt it left and right and see for yourself that the level at the centerline stays in the same place?

The only thing I get from your post is that you don't know how to use Excel to calculate an angle in degrees and I know how to use a common calculator.

Can you explain where your "answer" of 17.64mm comes from?

Take your diagram and draw a line down the center of the tube down to where it meets the oil level.  I wish I had your skills for drawing.

Call the distance from the top of the fork tube to the center of the oil level X and call the fork tube angle A.  I'm keeping the fork ID at 39mm.

The oil level on the left side of the tube is X - (tan(A)*39/2)

The oil level on the right side of the tube is X + (tan(A)*39/2)

As the angle of the fork tube goes to 0 (zero, verticle), tan(A) goes to zero and the oil level at the left and right side of the tube are both at X. So, explain to me how the level at the center of the tube is ANYTHING but X the whole time?

I'm showing my math, where is yours?

DavidR.

CutterBill

AutoCAD says that the distance along the tube is 19.8715 mm.
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: CutterBill on May 18, 2017, 12:07:25 PM
AutoCAD says that the distance along the tube is 19.8715 mm.
Bill

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on May 17, 2017, 09:24:59 PM

The 17.61mm dimension shown in the graphics above, is not based on the Tangent function. It is a correct value.

You assumed that longer leg of the triangle is perpendicular to the line representing fork tube. It is not. Look closer.

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on May 17, 2017, 10:41:05 PM
I really didn't think it was a  (popcorn) thread, but I guess I was wrong on that too.

Well, you're doing your best to perpetuate this one.

Like I told CutterBill in one of his posts, 'I don't care anymore. I'm done.' Same goes for this one.

Keep digging yourself a deeper hole if you want. I'm outta here.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

FJ_Hooligan

I've shown you the math yet all you've done is claim that 17.61mm is the correct answer without ANY proof.  Who's the one in a hole?

By the way, the correct answer to the difference in the level from one side of the tube to the other is 19.87mm (thanks for confirming that Bill) and it is a tangent function.  But that was never the issue.  My initial claim was that the oil level at the center of the tube stays constant and the math proves that is correct.  This is elementary fluid mechanics. 

Since you can't argue with facts, I understand why you choose to stop your end of the conversation.

DavidR.