News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

RPM fork valve and spring fitting

Started by ELIMINATOR, April 13, 2017, 03:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ_Hooligan

Quote from: balky1 on May 18, 2017, 12:45:06 AM
You guys are complicating it too much. I use a measuring cylinder, heat up the oil and put the specified amount in each tube. Some oil always stays in the cylinder, but the amount that stayed in is the same for both measurements. A mL or two of difference makes no change. If you wish to complicate your life over such things, go for it. I have more important things in my life to think about than a couple of mL of oil difference in the tubes. 

Hey Balky,
I hope you're measuring the oil level when you finish adding the oil.

My first couple of fork oil changes I simply pulled the drain plug and let the oil drain.  Then I filled each tube with the "specified amount" of oil according to the manual.  I never measured the oil level or compared the difference between the tubes.

When I got around to changing fork seals and disassembled the forks, the difference in the amount of oil in the tubes was significant.  One tube was overfilled and obviously doing more work than the other.  The oil in the overfilled fork was really nasty.  The oil in the other tube looked like it just came out of the bottle.

So, just a suggestion; measure the oil level before you put the cap on.
DavidR.

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on May 18, 2017, 01:17:10 PM
all you've done is claim that 17.61mm is the correct answer without ANY proof.  Who's the one in a hole?

Since you can't argue with facts, I understand why you choose to stop your end of the conversation.

OldSlowGuy:

I could agree with you, but then I'd be wrong.

You have well-honed ability to ignore the obvious.

You are clearly on a whole different level than I.

:Facepalm:
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

FJ_Hooligan

Ok, Ill concede.  

I must be wrong and you're right.

But wait, I'm sorry what was your point other than telling me that I'm wrong without offering up any proof?

Just what exactly is it that is so obvious?  I'm not ignoring it, I just don't understand your (lack of) logic.

Oh, and let me apologize for saying that your math is incorrect.  That is obviously an incorrect accusation since you never provided any math.

This is the whole wrestling with a pig thing, isn't it.  I'm just getting muddy....

DavidR.

balky1

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on May 18, 2017, 01:35:53 PM
Quote from: balky1 on May 18, 2017, 12:45:06 AM
You guys are complicating it too much. I use a measuring cylinder, heat up the oil and put the specified amount in each tube. Some oil always stays in the cylinder, but the amount that stayed in is the same for both measurements. A mL or two of difference makes no change. If you wish to complicate your life over such things, go for it. I have more important things in my life to think about than a couple of mL of oil difference in the tubes. 

Hey Balky,
I hope you're measuring the oil level when you finish adding the oil.

My first couple of fork oil changes I simply pulled the drain plug and let the oil drain.  Then I filled each tube with the "specified amount" of oil according to the manual.  I never measured the oil level or compared the difference between the tubes.

When I got around to changing fork seals and disassembled the forks, the difference in the amount of oil in the tubes was significant.  One tube was overfilled and obviously doing more work than the other.  The oil in the overfilled fork was really nasty.  The oil in the other tube looked like it just came out of the bottle.

So, just a suggestion; measure the oil level before you put the cap on.

I simply don't dwell on it too much. Since the measuring cylinder is laboratory grade I know the amount is the same. Checking the level afterward would be probably good idea, just to see if there is any difference, without taking the actual distance to the oil in account.
But, if the test ride afterwards shows good handling, I leave it be. Different oil levels yield wobbly effect in corners so you can tell if it is something wrong. I know this is not your perfect way of doing things, but in some cases I am not a perfectionist.  :gamer:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

ELIMINATOR

Jesus!!!!!!

Why did I start this thread............................... incidentally......................I measured the oil level in the middle of the fork. Only thing to hand was my vernier. :good2:

I'm off now :yahoo:
BMW 1150GS
Moto Guzzi California 3

balky1

Quote from: ELIMINATOR on May 19, 2017, 02:13:47 PM

Jesus!!!!!!

Why did I start this thread............................... incidentally......................I measured the oil level in the middle of the fork. Only thing to hand was my vernier. :good2:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:bomb: :bomb:
:flag_of_truce:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

racerrad8

Quote from: ELIMINATOR on May 19, 2017, 02:13:47 PM
Jesus!!!!!!

Trev,

No worries. I read this report about another countryman of yours this morning: Randy's Fork Valves and Springs...

In light of where this topic went, the oil level/air gap let at the top of the fork tube is one of the only adjustments one can play with for personal preference. As long as both fork oil levels are the same, you are good to go.

I especially like this perspective from that post;

It's going to be a combination of the valves and springs coupled with the fork brace, just how much each puts in to it I neither know nor care. I don't even now what I expected, but on tonight's short couple of runs, it's better than anything I could have expected. I'd say that they have done for the suspension what the Exup/Genesis wheels did for the 'handling', and what the Blue/Gold Spots and FZR master cylinder did for the brakes.

BTW, I will check the difference in the oil level change from straight up to the rake angle on the nest set I build or service.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

GS Jockey

Randy, I was going to copy my write-up over here, but you've saved me the trouble!  :biggrin: :biggrin:

However, I will add the final bit (about the suspension) that you left out...

QuotePerhaps the best way to say what I think of it is that, on the strength of the performance tonight, I've just ordered a rear shock off Randy.
Unfortunately I am no longer young enough to know everything...