News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

fairing repair

Started by yaman, April 22, 2017, 06:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yaman

mine needed (need) it in alot of places
its a tough thing to deal with, i failed with the plastic welder- lack of skill i imagine
i found "plasti-fix" and it seems to be a great product, i will see when parts are installed and stressed on the road
but for now, i am very happy with its strength and the fact that it sands the same as the existing plastics and blends without the need for filler
comes with a moulding block that helps copy broken tabs pretty good

yaman

yaman

yaman

dremal, file and sandpaper

yaman

worked great on the air scoops and seems to have bonded to the dash also

yaman

i also found that my upper was held together by the paint around the right mirror mount with cracks spidering from the mounting holes
decided to make the commitment
the fairing is frightening to look at at the moment-lots of repair and is going to require me to repaint the black section of the upper
man, what a bit of cleanup can lead to
and what, about a month to go before Ouray
i think its doable

giantkiller

Looks the same as plastex. At the plastex online store you can get refills, large kits. More of the molding bars. I've been praising it for years works great. Way easier than welding. No chance of melting more than you want to (I also have a plastic welder). No filler needed. Works great.
Thanks for the write-up.

Oh yeah plastex comes with a how to video. Which are available on the website too.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

FJmonkey

Great post! This is a very good example showing the repair process.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

yaman

Quote from: giantkiller on April 22, 2017, 09:21:42 AM
Looks the same as plastex. At the plastex online store you can get refills, large kits. More of the molding bars. I've been praising it for years works great. Way easier than welding. No chance of melting more than you want to (I also have a plastic welder). No filler needed. Works great.
Thanks for the write-up.

Oh yeah plastex comes with a how to video. Which are available on the website too.
dang, went to the website and it looks like its the same product with a different name
the website has a s#%$load of good info, thanks

yaman

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 22, 2017, 12:28:18 PM
Great post! This is a very good example showing the repair process.
thanks Monkey,
i hope the product is a permanent fix as i took the plunge on a conspicuous location of the upper, there will be no hiding the fail if it gives out

giantkiller

If you repair the cracks from the back side. All you see from the front is a hairline crack.

And you can reinforce it on the back with fiberglass cloth. Very strong then. You can get really fine fiberglass cloth from hobby shop.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

Quote from: giantkiller on April 28, 2017, 08:24:36 AM
If you repair the cracks from the back side. All you see from the front is a hairline crack.

And you can reinforce it on the back with fiberglass cloth. Very strong then. You can get really fine fiberglass cloth from hobby shop.

Looked closer at the first pics. Looks like you already used fiberglass in some of the repairs.
The fine stuff from the hobby shop is easy to finish.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

yaman

Quote from: giantkiller on April 28, 2017, 08:24:36 AM

thanks killer
i hear you and wish i could have felt good about stopping there, that's where i started but the damage was so extensive that i decided to go at it from both sides in hopes of not having to revisit again
that's good advice on the fine fiberglass cloth thank you, I had not heard of it until you replied here, i am gonna have to check the bay- nearest hobby shop is a ways away, unfortunately

roverfj1200

I have found Q-Bond useful in repairing fairings..
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.