News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

The next generation.

Started by ribbert, April 23, 2017, 09:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Having failed in my attempt to keep my children away from motorbikes I went on a 200km ride with my son yesterday. His very first ride other than his licence test. He has zero riding experience.
He has a Honda VTR 250 (by law new riders are limited to 250's or restricted slightly larger bikes) . I rode it 100km home from the sellers place through the week, my god, there's not much bike around you!

We had 25km of heavy traffic to get out of town, hills, twisties, intermittent rain, wet roads and night time and finally another 25km of suburbia in the dark, rain and heavy traffic to get home, he did well.

I felt a smidgen of pride, a lot of trepidation but mostly fear of his mother if something happened to him (and I suspect that's going to be the case for quite some time).

The VTR has only done 26,000 since '06 with the two previous owners well known to me, they are a great little bike. The FJ and the GS have collectively done 340,000km (135k added to original mileage/205k from new) since '09. The FJ has been far more reliable and less expensive to run despite it's age!

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

TexasDave

You are a lucky man Noel to have a son to ride with despite the worry. There are several other lucky members here who also have sons riding with them. Unfortunately I only have female offspring but one does share my shooting interests.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

CutterBill

Quote from: ribbert on April 23, 2017, 09:27:42 AMThe FJ has been far more reliable and less expensive to run despite it's age!
What was it that Scotty* said... "The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to muck up the works."
Bill

*from Star Trek
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing