News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Exhaust collector changed

Started by balky1, May 14, 2017, 02:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balky1

Yesterday I've changed the exhaust collector on my '85. Donor was some poor FJ 1200. Collector was in great shape. I was doing everything in order from front to back, putting it together loosely first then tightened it progressively.
I am a bit worried about the collector touching the wire of the oil sensor. Any ideas or advices on that or I shouldn't worry too much? Collector is close to the oil pan (closer than the old one), but it doesn't touch any part of the engine except that wire (I also revved it, no touches). I had tu pull the exhaust pipes a bit out to get it to fit (cca. 0.5 mm). If I pull them more, the bolt holding the collector probably won't fit.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

CutterBill

Balky,
no the wire should not touch any part of the exhaust system.  If a wire does touch, it will melt.  Your bike is probably missing a clip which holds the wire; lots of old bikes wind up missing small bits and pieces from careless owners over the years. Figure out some way to hold the wire away from the collector.

On the other hand, the entire Oil Level warning light system seems kinda silly to me. If you are riding a real oil-burner, then you would check the oil level at every gas stop, right?  Just my opinion...
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

balky1

Quote from: CutterBill on May 22, 2017, 07:27:44 AM
Balky,
no the wire should not touch any part of the exhaust system.  If a wire does touch, it will melt.  Your bike is probably missing a clip which holds the wire; lots of old bikes wind up missing small bits and pieces from careless owners over the years. Figure out some way to hold the wire away from the collector.

On the other hand, the entire Oil Level warning light system seems kinda silly to me. If you are riding a real oil-burner, then you would check the oil level at every gas stop, right?  Just my opinion...
Bill

Yeah, it is plain logic. I saw some clips on the wire so I will try to clip it harder. Maybe it got loose. Will see, thanks for confirming my assumption.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009