News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

PSA.... Wheel bearings

Started by aviationfred, May 16, 2017, 08:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

Public Service announcement for wheel bearings.

For many of us, one of the many things that are done when purchasing our FJ's is to change the wheel bearings among other preventative maintenance items that will have the piece of mind effect. Also, when getting wheels powder coated, new bearing have to be installed.

My rear wheel was powder coated about 4 years ago. After 4 years and somewhere around 25,000 miles the rear wheel bearings are showing that there life span is over. While installing new tires this past weekend, it was noticed that the rear wheel bearings had a pronounced ratcheting rotation. This is something that is often times over looked. At minimum, I would suggest that everyone check their bearings whenever you change your tires.

Finding dodgey bearings early is an easy fix. Having a total bearing failure while riding can have disastrous affects. For anyone that has had a wheel bearing that completely failed, they know how difficult it is to remove an outer bearing race without damaging the aluminum rim.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

balky1

Having them checked only on tire changes means you will check them every 10k or more kilometers, even more on the front wheel. That is far far away from being enough.
I don't think it is any problem to check their condition every once in a while. Just grab that wheel sideways while on a center stand and you should have zero play. If you are having a peace of mind by checking the bearings every 10k or more, well, I wouldn't be so peaceful.
By all means, if you already have that wheel down check them more thoroughly and put some fresh grease. But removing the wheel is not necessary to determine the condition of the bearings. Like you don't remove the steering stem every time you check those bearings.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

ribbert

Quote from: balky1 on May 16, 2017, 08:26:12 AM
.............if you already have that wheel down check them more thoroughly and put some fresh grease.....

Balky, are you talking about sealed or open bearings?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

balky1

I've got open bearings in my front wheel, I suppose still the factory installed ones.  :rofl2:
I am not suggesting to open the factory sealed bearings for greasing.... But I do put some grease there also, for the oil seals if nothing else.....

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

FJ_Hooligan

Quote from: ribbert on May 17, 2017, 08:00:22 AM
.............if you already have that wheel down check them more thoroughly and put some fresh grease.....

Noel

Oh NO!
DavidR.

ribbert

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on May 17, 2017, 09:55:05 AM
Quote from: ribbert on May 17, 2017, 08:00:22 AM

Noel

Oh NO!

Haha, you're safe, for now. I need some mechanical respite here.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

aviationfred

I installed the new wheel bearings today. I ordered a set of All Balls Racing bearings for the GSX-R750 wheel. Good quality bearings. Even so, I removed the dust seals and packed more grease into the bearings.

I used a bearing removal tool set from RPM. It makes removal real easy and quick. For the install, I used a bearing install kit from Harbor Freight.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

CutterBill

From page 23 of the Timken Bearing Damage Analysis with Lubrication Reference Guide...

"Overfilling a bearing with too much grease can cause excess churning and high temperatures during operation. This can create overheating and excess grease
purging (leaking) – see note below. Overheating happens when the generated heat can't dissipate correctly, continually building until damage occurs. As the
bearing's operating temperature rises, the oxidation (breakdown) rate of the grease sharply increases – doubling every 10° C (18° F)."

https://www.timken.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/5892_Bearing-Damage-Analysis-Brochure.pdf

Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

balky1

aviationfred, report later how long did those bearings survive. It will come in handy in proving or disproving the over-greasing theory.
Although when I got the bearings from All Balls I asked them if I need to grease them. 'No' they said, 'bearings come greased and ready for installation.'

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Firehawk068

I used "All Balls" wheel bearings when I did my FZR-1000 wheel swaps, front and rear.
They were already sealed. I installed them "As-Is" and forgot about them..............There was no need to do anything else with them.
That was around 35,000 miles ago.

I check the bearings for smoothness and play whenever I swap tires.
I honestly don't believe you would need to check them any more frequently than that. They are not an item that will normally wear out , and in most cases if properly cared for, will last the lifetime of the bike.
The only grease I use is a very thin film on the outer dust seals where they ride on the spacers.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

balky1

Quote from: Firehawk068 on May 20, 2017, 12:30:16 PM
I used "All Balls" wheel bearings when I did my FZR-1000 wheel swaps, front and rear.
They were already sealed. I installed them "As-Is" and forgot about them..............There was no need to do anything else with them.
That was around 35,000 miles ago.

I check the bearings for smoothness and play whenever I swap tires.
I honestly don't believe you would need to check them any more frequently than that. They are not an item that will normally wear out , and in most cases if properly cared for, will last the lifetime of the bike.
The only grease I use is a very thin film on the outer dust seals where they ride on the spacers.

Well, if you ride your FJ like a friend of mine for 1.3 million kilometers, they sure won't last the lifetime of the bike.  :yes:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

fjbiker84

I think that weather conditions the bike is operated in can make a big difference in how long the bearings last.  I was advised shortly after getting my FJ back in 2006 that the rear bearings were known to fail if exposed to too much water - washed with a high pressure hose, ridden in the rain a lot, parked outside in places with high humidity, etc.  So I had the bike shop replace the bearings while putting on new tires.  At that time my bike was 22 years old and had 25,000 miles.  Glad I did it and have piece of mind that the bearings are now new but as it turned out the old bearings appeared to be perfectly fine. 

aviationfred

One thing that was noticed. With the old bearings installed. There was a ratcheting feeling when rotated. Once the old bearings were removed, they spun freely. I think I caught this at the early stages of bearing failure. With a possible 2000 miles over 5 days for the Colorado Rally and maybe a 1700 miles over 5 days for the Central Rally. It definitely was needed to replace them.

Many years ago on the 14 Freeway in Southern California, I had a rear wheel bearing completely fail. Luckily I was able to safely get to the shoulder and figured out what had happened. It really sucks to have that sinking feeling that you can not even ride to the next exit. To compound the problem, there was not a single bike shop in the Antelope Valley that would attempt to get the outer bearing race out of the wheel. I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel with a lot of patience and a very slow and steady hand to cut the race out without damaging the rear wheel.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

CutterBill

You were in the AV? That's where I live.  Too bad you didn't know me then.  With my bike trailer and my shop, we would  have had you back on the road in no time...
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

aviationfred

Quote from: CutterBill on May 21, 2017, 09:14:21 AM
You were in the AV? That's where I live.  Too bad you didn't know me then.  With my bike trailer and my shop, we would  have had you back on the road in no time...
Bill

I lived in Palmdale from 1993 to 1996
The photo is the bike I rode back then and the one I had the failed wheel bearing on.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2