News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Battery died

Started by Big Bird, May 16, 2017, 11:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Bird

Hello all.
So riding my '89 FJ 1200 the other day. All is fine.  Stopped at my son's house for dinner.  Went to move the bike, Battery real weak.  Wouldn't crank.  Ran home since I live close buy and got my battery charger.  when I went to hookup the charger the tach jumped to 6k rpm.  Mind you the bike is not running and the ignition is off.  I tried again and all was fine.  Battery was stone dead.  Let it charge for an hour or so, fired it right up, took a longer route home to see If I could duplicate the issue.  Got home shut the bike off went to start it back up and it fired right off, but I did notice that my headlight and front signals would flicker at a regular interval.  Now the headlight gets brighter when you rev it up and the flicker interval gets shorter.  Weird.  Any thoughts?

jscgdunn

Check battery connections for tightness/corrosion.  How old is battery?
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

Pat Conlon

Hey BB, here's a quick half dozen points you should follow in order:
1) How old is the battery?  What's the resting voltage?
Weird shit happens to our FJ's with a dodgy battery. Really goofy stuff.
2) Are your connections tight? The flicker indicates a loose connection.
3) Check (unplug and examine) the condition of the red plug under right side panel. It melts.
4) Is your charging system working? You should be reading 14-15 volts at the battery @ 3k rpm.
5) Do you have a parasitic drain on your electrical system? Put a multi tester in line and check it out.
6)  Check the wires going down to your horn. They are hot and the handle bar horn button grounds the circuit.
With the side to side motion of the front forks, it's common to have those horn wires chafe against the steering neck.

It's common to have the headlight dim and brighten as the engine increases the charging voltage.

Electrical diagnostics 101: Start with a fresh battery.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

balky1

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 16, 2017, 11:31:40 AM
Hey BB, here's a quick half dozen points you should follow in order:
1) How old is the battery?  What's the resting voltage?
Weird shit happens to our FJ's with a dodgy battery. Really goofy stuff.
2) Are your connections tight? The flicker indicates a loose connection.
3) Check (unplug and examine) the condition of the red plug under right side panel. It melts.
4) Is your charging system working? You should be reading 14-15 volts at the battery @ 3k rpm.
5) Do you have a parasitic drain on your electrical system? Put a multi tester in line and check it out.
6)  Check the wires going down to your horn. They are hot and the handle bar horn button grounds the circuit.
With the side to side motion of the front forks, it's common to have those horn wires chafe against the steering neck.

It's common to have the headlight dim and brighten as the engine increases the charging voltage.

Electrical diagnostics 101: Start with a fresh battery.

I would just add to this that you should check the elctrolyte level if you have wet battery and do this often, especially with high ambient temperatures.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Big Bird

Thanks for the tips guys.  Battery is new, 3 moths old.  Now that you mention it the horn is hit and miss.  Will work on it this evening and let you know what i come up with.  What really sucks with all this is that I just signed up for a track day at Road Atlanta in August. It is also a Yamaha Demo ride event.  Really want to get the FJ out there and really be able to open it up.