News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

rear linkage

Started by JOMPPA10, May 18, 2017, 05:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOMPPA10

HI is there somebody to know : iam changing rear wheel size to 17 got 180/55 pirelli strada and same in front 120/70
BUT my guestion is : i found little bit slack in upwards rear arms just to feel it, no slack vertical good to install ?
also gearing now ihave sprokets 17/38 setup is it drivable? and somebody here said that gsxr 1100 brakes can be installed diffrent
way they that one rod keeping brakes on line , ihave 750 gsxf brakes also with all (lines,bracket,lever,disk dont fit and, wheel all there)
sick way to speak seeing sorry again my bad american :dash1:

balky1

Hi!

Some up and down free play in swing arm is OK. But it shouldn't move from side to side.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

racerrad8

Quote from: balky1 on May 18, 2017, 06:02:40 AM
Some up and down free play in swing arm is OK.

EEEEK.... :unknown:

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

camo

BEst to listen to Randy on this one...... :i_am_so_happy:

balky1

Quote from: camo on May 19, 2017, 10:28:10 PM
BEst to listen to Randy on this one...... :i_am_so_happy:

Sure it is. I know just what I've read in the manuals. Randy is the man with experience.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Grey runner

If it did not go up and down I would be very worried, 3 to 4mm is perfectly OK, it is because the length of the swingarm exaggerates the tiny amount of movement in the various joints of the linkage system.
The older I get, the faster I was

balky1

Quote from: Grey runner on May 20, 2017, 05:35:59 AM
If it did not go up and down I would be very worried, 3 to 4mm is perfectly OK, it is because the length of the swingarm exaggerates the tiny amount of movement in the various joints of the linkage system.

That's how I understood it also.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

racerrad8

Quote from: Grey runner on May 20, 2017, 05:35:59 AM

EEEEK... :negative:

Any uncontrolled up & down movement means there are worn out parts in the swing arm or linkage. That means the rear suspension can move uncontrolled which means the tire will not remain firmly planted on the roadway.

I just referred to my GYSM, the movement limit is 1mm at the end of the swing arm (photo attached)

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM