News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Fj1200 staring issue

Started by SuperBanjo, May 19, 2017, 04:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperBanjo

Hi all!

Hoping to get some pointers here, since my google-fu failed me to find the answer.

My farther-in-law's fj1200 won't start on the button, however it will start when pushed. When the starter button is pushed the oil and fuel light comes on, but no reaction from the starter. When the kill-switch is flipped, there is a relay sound so the coil is getting power(since it starts when pushed it is apparent)

Any thoughts? I don't want to fire up the parts-cannon just yet...

Best Regards
Pål
FJ1100 '85('86reg)

Likes long walks alone, in the dark, far away. Proficient in campfires, looks good in Olive Drab

oldktmdude

Sounds like the starter solenoid (relay) may be not working. Try shorting across the two main terminals on it. Make sure that there are no flammable materials close by when doing so as a spark or two may result. If it starts OK by doing this, there may be a problem with the start button or the wiring running to the solenoid.
Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

SuperBanjo

Thanks Pete, I'll try that when I'm home from work.

Best Regards
Pål
FJ1100 '85('86reg)

Likes long walks alone, in the dark, far away. Proficient in campfires, looks good in Olive Drab

Mark Olson

A common problem with the FJ is the starter button . you can remove and clean the contacts and this will solve it .. no parts required.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

SuperBanjo

SOLVED!

So, I disassembled the kill-switch, light and starter button assembly, found a frayed wire to the kill-switch, not sure if that was the culprit, but soldered in a new wire for good measure. The starter came to life after a bit of cleaning and moving wires and connectors around a bit.

Thanks for the advice folks! Now we have two bikes ready for the road tomorrow :good2:

Regards
Pål
FJ1100 '85('86reg)