News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Question on plug read

Started by GaryL22, May 27, 2017, 12:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryL22

Quote from: FJmonkey on May 26, 2017, 11:50:05 PM
Gary, the fuel pump will run  for a few seconds when you switch on the ignition. It stops pumping for safety reasons till the motor is running, then pumps as required.  This is normal and good. Good catch on the collector fastener. A rich idle is not a bad thing, helps the cold starts and pisses off the tree huggers. Your plugs are the real tell if you are running rich.  

Thanks so much for your help. I just pulled this NGK DP7EA9 plug from #1 cylinder. What is this plug saying to me? (should I check them all?)

Is a DP7EA9 considered a hot, normal or cold plug (not that I would know or understand the difference)

GaryL22

Oh what the heck, here is all 4. L to R,  1-4.

It looks like something is going on with # 3? close up

FJmonkey

Um... That plug looks way to clean. Are you sure its form a running bike? No rich issues or lean issues that I can see. Am I on some game show where the camera man pops out and we all get a laugh?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FJmonkey

Now your messing with me with the other cylinders. The plugs are not that bad. But the best thing to do is make sure the basic stuff is covered. Valve adjust, carb sync, high colonic,  felonious throttle thrashing, etc...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

GaryL22

Quote from: FJmonkey on May 27, 2017, 12:50:46 AM
Um... That plug looks way to clean. Are you sure its form a running bike? No rich issues or lean issues that I can see. Am I on some game show where the camera man pops out and we all get a laugh?

Are you serious? I'm confused, is #3 really bad or not bad at all? I swear I'm not messing with you, I've been all worried about #3 and I've been digging around for the last 1/2 hour trying to find my small plug adaptor for my compression tester (notice how the threads are cleaner on #3). I've put 800 miles on the bike, so know there are at least that many miles on these plugs. I just took this photo for proof and no AZ is hot but not 116 in my garage, not yet anyway. Gary

GaryL22

Quote from: FJmonkey on May 27, 2017, 01:02:00 AM
Now your messing with me with the other cylinders. The plugs are not that bad. But the best thing to do is make sure the basic stuff is covered. Valve adjust, carb sync, high colonic,  felonious throttle thrashing, etc...

Sorry I'm so clueless, all my plug reading experience occurred in the 80's with 2 strokes. In fact I used to race Karts with Yamaha KT100 motors that I used to adjust the carb during the races, we had Cylinder head temp gauges and later on Exhaust temp gauge on the steering wheel. I just forgot everything.  :wacko3: Gary

GaryL22

I really had the FJ fever this afternoon. I made up a 2mm thick brass spacer with my lathe that presses into the clutch bushing. What a difference! Lever slop is gone, seems to shift better too... This is a spare/scrap one.  Gary

GaryL22

Update, I tested 1-4 for spark and all were the same even #3. Honestly the spark on all of them was weaker than I expected......ignition mods needed??

Pat Conlon

Do the coil relay mod. That will brighten up the spark.

All FJ's with the vacuum advance have clean white plugs. Just the nature of the beast. The USA FJ's are jetted lean to begin with and the (closed throttle) vacuum advance makes them look leaner than they really are.
If you want an accurate read on the plug color, dinconnect the vacuum hose at the #2 intake and plug the vacuum port on the intake.

Here, you can read all about the vacuum advance: http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=11690.0
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

GaryL22

Time to quit for tonight. About the #3 plug, which one(s) are the likely problem.

1: Plug color is actually fine, don't worry about it
2: Bad spark plug
3: Compression/rings problem oil fouling
4: #3 Carb problem, running rich?
5: #3 ignition, plug wire, coil etc.
6: #3 valves, head problem

Is plug shot/fouled and should it be replaced no matter what? 
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Gary

GaryL22

Quote from: FJmonkey on May 27, 2017, 01:02:00 AM
high colonic

Missed that the first time I read...had to google it :negative:

Sparky84

Quote from: GaryL22 on May 27, 2017, 12:50:14 AM
It looks like something is going on with # 3? close up

Wish mine looked as good as your #3
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Sparky84

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 27, 2017, 02:39:41 AM
Do the coil relay mod. That will brighten up the spark.

Would it be ok to mount the relay adjacent to the coils?
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

GaryL22

Quote from: Sparky84 on May 27, 2017, 03:27:49 AM

Wish mine looked as good as your #3

Thanks, that's what I was hoping. Total newbie here and my bike honestly isn't running the way I want. I thought I found a major issue with that dark #3 with the threads washed clean. When I first pulled #1 I thought it looked too lean. I should have googled "spark plug chart" first thing.... Live and learn.