News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

2017 WCR Trip Report & Photos

Started by racerrad8, May 30, 2017, 06:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantkiller

Quote from: 1tinindian on June 06, 2017, 01:16:45 PM
I finally had a chance to use my mounted spare at this years rally.

Yep looks like your spare is polished too
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

1tinindian

Quote from: Firehawk068 on June 08, 2017, 04:32:44 PM
Quote from: 1tinindian on June 06, 2017, 12:55:11 PM

I have no idea how many miles I rode during the rally,

Good info Alan, thanks!

You pretty much rode the exact same ride routes that I did, aside from taking the short trip into Placerville for the ATM stop.
According to my GPS I rode 923 miles on the FJ while I was there for Rally Week. You and Cory probably have somewhere around 950?
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

1tinindian

Quote from: giantkiller on June 09, 2017, 12:24:19 PM
Quote from: 1tinindian on June 06, 2017, 01:16:45 PM
I finally had a chance to use my mounted spare at this years rally.

Yep looks like your spare is polished too

Of course it is!
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

ZOA NOM

Wow. Just wow. Can't say how much I needed the getaway. SO grateful to Mike Ramos for his generosity and friendship. I had such a good weekend all-around. My "sketchy" bike carrier worked flawlessly, and I recommend it for anyone who wants to shed the fuss of a trailer or the scary prospect of loading the bike into the bed of your truck. I couldn't have had more fun than I did with the "Four Horsemen" whose enthusiasm seemed to push us beyond our "leisurely" rides into a more aggressive pace at every opportunity. The good news is that we seemed to mesh well, and I think we all trusted each other in close quarters, which was a pleasure. Craig Zari set a PERFECT pace, and the four of us, myself, Andy, Mike and Craig really put in some wonderful miles.

Randy and Chandra, as usual, put together another magnificent event, and I hope everyone who attended finds a way to show their appreciation for their efforts. It really was a first-class event.

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

fjbiker84

Does anyone have a photo taken Saturday morning of all the bikes AND the owners standing beside them?  I took several of all the bikes lined up but I know we also had shots taken with us standing behind our bikes.

Capn Ron

To put a rally into words would be a difficult task, but I'll give it a try...

It started a few days early again this year as a few of us somehow can't get enough of friendships and camping and riding.  Over near the Rally location from two years ago, we did our share of exploring...Mono Lake, The ghost town of Bodie, Monitor Pass, discussing life around a campfire at Twin Lakes.  Then it was over to Coloma...a location I'm sure will be revisited again for the accommodations and proximity to some epic motorcycle roads!  Ice House, Wentworth Springs, the 193, Salmon Falls...That's all just a bonus...it's really the people that make a rally.  Many thanks go out to The RPM family for their efforts.  Fantastic dinners, fun and games and those trophies...seriously?

I lead a couple of rides and the biggest joy for me was hearing Donna tell me "that road was a twelve out of a possible ten!!"  Smiles all the way around!  Having Andy in my rear view mirror for countless miles was a joy...only to be replaced by Leon and Cory the next day...and then doing the high-speed dance up Ice House Road and Wentworth Springs road with Alan on my six was nothing short of spectacular!

Back at camp, I was thrilled to catch up with some of the regulars...Craig, always with a smiling face brought along his better half.  A serious game of pick up sticks over at San Dimas Mike's camp had us all laughing well into the night!  Was excellent to see Henning again after a year off...in my opinion, you can't have too many Canadians at a rally!  The ever-present Garth did not disappoint with the fire starting...which would not have been possible without Pat's negotiating skills with the "little old lady of firewood."  I still want to know how Frank became "drinks bitch"...a role he seemed to take to heart.  A few new faces...Chris...it was good having you along for the ride...Tim, glad you got your fuel issue sorted out and was great to meet you!  No rally would be complete without "The Cobbler", Skymaster Mike...enjoyed the blueberry this year buddy!  Mr Ramos, Steve, Mark, Jason and Paul...you all add nice color to a rally.  With so many attendees this year, I'm sure I've missed a few.

Each and every year, I am overwhelmed by one thought:  the people I met at the rallies just a few short years ago...people who I didn't even knew existed... are now such a large part of my life...thank you all.

Another outstanding rally is in the books...well looking forward to Petaluma for 2018!   :yahoo:
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

ribbert

Quote from: Capn Ron on June 11, 2017, 02:49:47 AM

To put a rally into words would be a difficult task.....

True, but you did a sterling job.

I have only been to two rallies and two manshed days but I understand your sentiments.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Mike 86 in San Dimas

A serious game of pick up sticks over at San Dimas Mike's camp had us all laughing well into the night! 
Another outstanding rally is in the books...well looking forward to Petaluma for 2018!   :yahoo:.
The boys prevailed in the finals!  :dance2:

Capn Ron

Quote from: Mike 86 in San Dimas on June 11, 2017, 09:09:29 PM
A serious game of pick up sticks over at San Dimas Mike's camp had us all laughing well into the night! 
Another outstanding rally is in the books...well looking forward to Petaluma for 2018!   :yahoo:.
The boys prevailed in the finals!  :dance2:

High five buddy!   :yahoo:
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

Firehawk068

Quote from: fjbiker84 on June 10, 2017, 06:34:55 PM
Does anyone have a photo taken Saturday morning of all the bikes AND the owners standing beside them?  I took several of all the bikes lined up but I know we also had shots taken with us standing behind our bikes.

I have a couple that Donna took with my iphone.
I can e-mail them to you.
I'll be working on posting all my photos very soon. Probably in the form of a "Picture-Video" like I did with the Colorado Rally last year.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

racerrad8

Quote from: fjbiker84 on June 10, 2017, 06:34:55 PM
Does anyone have a photo taken Saturday morning of all the bikes AND the owners standing beside them?  I took several of all the bikes lined up but I know we also had shots taken with us standing behind our bikes.

Here is one that was sent to me on Monday following the WCR that was posted on FB.

Unfortunately all of us are not in the photo.

I will have all of my photos posted up in the next couple of weeks with a report.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Capn Ron

Quote from: racerrad8 on June 12, 2017, 11:26:25 AM

Here is one that was sent to me on Monday following the WCR that was posted on FB.

Unfortunately all of us are not in the photo.

I will have all of my photos posted up in the next couple of weeks with a report.

Randy - RPM

Surely, someone has a better shot than this...good lord, there were 20 cameras out!   :good2:
Cap'n Ron. . .

Firehawk068

Here ya go!
26 FJs in the photo.
We had one '84 missing, cause Redbeard left before the line-up photo. I believe there were 27 FJs at the Rally.

Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

racerrad8

Quote from: Firehawk068 on June 13, 2017, 09:08:09 AM
Here ya go!
26 FJs in the photo.
We had one '84 missing, cause Redbeard left before the line-up photo. I believe there were 27 FJs at the Rally.

We had a total of 28 FJ attend this years WCR.

Redbeard (Nathan) was able to ride in Friday night for dinner and comradery and Mattman (Matt) rode in Saturday morning, with his buddy Terry to ride with us.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

Mike Ramos

Hello everyone,

Here is video from the 2017 West Coast Rally.  Although short in length, the objective is that it captures the intensity of the riding; and said riding was all encompassing.  Without exception it was like this all day & each day... just delightful!

It should be noted that riders depicted are closer that they seem – unfortunately a limitation of the type of camera used. 

Other participants (along with those in the video) are Mr. Olsen & Rick C.  The quiet gentleman LA Mike is in the mix as well.  There may be others but I was rather occupied to do an exact count. 

Flynt is usually in view as well, but apparently the first day he was fortifying himself for the elected position for which he was chosen and the second day he was recovering from the effects of the aforementioned fortifying...

Although there are better camera mounts available, this was the only one that made its' way to the Rally.  Apologies as although I am just a little guy, it seems as if a senior moment happened... or so Mr. Conlon explained to me... or was it a Canadian who explained...?  I can't seem to recall...! 

Yet I do recall that the speedometer is a satellite monitored gauge so the speeds noted are actual speeds even though the speedometer is rotated to allow for a better camera angle.  The 12 o'clock position is 100 mph and it tops at 120 mph.  However, it is not all about speed; before one goes quickly, the slow corners must be taken slowly...

All in good fun gentlemen (and the other fellows too...!)

Put it on full screen and turn up the volume!

Ride safe,

Midget

https://youtu.be/JrJLeWX3bZY