News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

First time owner from Kalamazoo, MI

Started by Heinrich535i, June 13, 2017, 10:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich535i

Hello everyone!

I'm from Kalamazoo, MI and work for Bell's Brewery. Believe it or not the FJ1200 is my first street motorcycle I've ever owned. Grew up on dirt bikes as a kid but have not ridden since I was about 13 years old, I'm 24 now. I've been on the hunt for a good road bike for quite some time now and came across an opportunity I couldn't pass up. I picked up not one but TWO 1986 FJ1200's for $500 this past week. One is supposed to be a parts bike and the other a future runner. I've got a lot of learning and work to do being that I've never owned an actual road bike but I've been working on cars my whole life. And yes, the Haynes Manual was my first purchase after the motorcycle. I'm hoping to get at least one on the road in the next month or so. First on the to-do list is cleaning and rebuilding the carburetor, rebuilding both front calipers, replacing pads, rebuilding the clutch master cylinder, clean this rusty MI gas tank, oil and filter change, and then we move on to the dreaded electrical and lighting. The runner has about 38k on it and the parts bike has 24k on it. Not too sure on the history of either, it appears the carb was already rebuilt on the parts bike and the runner is pretty much untouched except for some rear suspension modifications. Anyways, here are a few pictures of the bikes in their current states. First two pictures are of the runner and the last picture, the parts bike. And the car in the background in the first picture is my 1987 BMW 535i project.

FJmonkey

Welcome Heinrich, you found the right place for you and your FJs.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side