News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

'84/'87 Chain Slider - Possible supplier

Started by FJmonkey, June 15, 2017, 01:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How soon would you need a new '84/'87 chain slider?

I need one now!
8 (57.1%)
Maybe in 6 months
5 (35.7%)
Maybe in a year or two
1 (7.1%)
Never, I hate these polls
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: July 15, 2017, 01:00:06 AM

FJmonkey

I got an update this morning!!!

"Hi Mark,
Just letting you know that we have the mold poured. If all goes well, I should have the part available next week."

I am not sure if this means production ready or still in a validation phase. I will wait for the next update and possibly have some better info on production. 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Sparky84

:yahoo:

I like the sound of that.

Maybe they were still on Chrissy Holidays before,
let's hope they don't start them early.
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

FJmonkey

Teaser Alert!!! Hot Foot delivered. It looks good, see for your self.

Randy or Robert will have it very soon to review the fit.

balky1

:good2:

What's your impression on the material?

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

aviationfred

That part looks the business.  :good2:

Can the price be kept under $75.00?

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Steve_in_Florida

Mark,
That's really interesting.

I take it that a mold was made of the original part, then the new material was poured, correct?

What's the material?

I ask, because Reynolds Advanced Products has an outlet right down the street from my house, and they sell stuff like that, with all sorts of different characteristics and properties.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

fjbiker84

What's the next step?  Do you need to approve the sample before they make a run of more?  Do you think the material it's made of is as good as the Yamaha part?   

FJmonkey

All good questions.

Quote from: balky1 on May 01, 2018, 01:46:10 AM
What's your impression on the material?

The material seems very hard and slick. Not sure of the properties under the shiny surface.

Quote from: aviationfred on May 01, 2018, 05:09:14 AM
Can the price be kept under $75.00?

I think it will be comfortably under $75, I hope Randy can work a supplier deal with Hotfoot.

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on May 01, 2018, 06:43:44 AM
I take it that a mold was made of the original part, then the new material was poured, correct?

What's the material?

It was, my part was used so they did a cosmetic correction. Then made the mold from the part. I will ask about the material, it depends if they keep that info NEED to KNOW.

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

FJmonkey

Troy, thanks for the poke. I sent the slider to Randy at RPM for evaluation. I think he wants to install it to see if the material has good wear properties. Just looking good does not mean it will last. I know he is a bit busy right now but when he reads this it may bring it further up the list of things to do. You seem to be back in the thick of it with all your bikes stripped down. Its a wonder how you ever leave the garage with all the nakedness going on. My next project is a major repair of a lower fairing. A fellow rider is out for hip revision surgery and I have his lower in much need of repair. I plan to take plenty of pics and share my success (or failure) of the attempt. Maybe I will just print a new one....

Troyskie

The dirt bike chain slider I put on Yummy is working well. The donor bike has one I might pinch. I was thinking of printing one with a channel to accept a dirt bike slider so it can be mounted properly, but easily swapped out for a new one.

It is hard to leave the shed. Very hard! I've a few little fun jobs to do, but the big job is a top end refresh on Effie.
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

RPM - Robert

That is from the company that Monkey sent his guide into. When we contacted them about some concerns we had about the rubber being soft. This is what they had to say about the durability,

"I haven't had a chance to list them on our website or ebay yet. It's in the works though. Our polyurethane is 60 shore hardness. They don't offer much harder. The only thing that I have seen is the chain sliders can melt at highway speeds. Let me know how it works. The sliders are going to retail for $59.95."

We currently have the sample one on Andy's bike being tested to see if it will hold up.

andyoutandabout

Peeps,
Since last weeks chain guide install, 800 riding miles have passed over it. I'll check on it tonight and see how its holding up. The bulk of those 800 were done on the highway at speeds averaging 80mph for a good long run.
Andy
life without a bike is just life

racerrad8

As the person that installed the prototype, yes the first prototype, onto Andy's bike, I had to make modifications to get it to fit. I am not aware if the company has done any test fitting on any other fans.

The mould they took from monkey's original is warped. It would not fit without going in and grinding down material.

I will email hot foot and let them know there is still more design changes to the finished product.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM