News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

RPM Roller Shift Detent Kit

Started by Sparky84, July 01, 2017, 12:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky84

Just got my RPM Roller Shift Detent Kit but it doesn't look as easy as first thought! :negative:

I'm assuming I cannot just take off the crankcase cover and reach in and unbolt old one and replace with new?

It looks like all the clutch housing has to come out to gain access going by the pictures in the manual!! :wacko3:

Does this sound correct?

Cheers Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

FJmonkey

I think the clutch pack needs to come out for easy access. Mine was out when I installed this. I also found a magnet on a stick very handy as I dropped the bolt a few times into the oil pan and fished it out just one more times than I dropped it.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Quote from: FJmonkey on July 01, 2017, 12:52:44 AM
I think the clutch pack and hub needs to come out for easy access. Mine was out when I installed this. I also found a magnet on a stick very handy as I dropped the bolt a few times into the oil pan and fished it out just one more times than I dropped it.

Fixed it for you Markus!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

TexasDave

Yes it has to come out for access. I did mine when I changed to a coil spring pressure plate. Noticeably faster and more positive shifting. Stepped on the back brake and used an electric impact gun to remove the hub nut. Reinstalled hub nut with a torque wrench while on back brake. I see some people use a 2x4 through the spokes also. Probably not a Yamaha approved method. Good time to check wear on the clutch plates and do the clutch mod to get the larger friction plate and get rid of the wire.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Sparky84

Quote from: Pat Conlon on July 01, 2017, 12:58:32 AM
Quote from: FJmonkey on July 01, 2017, 12:52:44 AM
I think the clutch pack and hub needs to come out for easy access.
Does the clutch pack and hub come out as 1 unit? Or are they individual plates?

Quote from: TexasDave on July 01, 2017, 01:01:19 AM
Stepped on the back brake and used an electric impact gun to remove the hub nut. Reinstalled hub nut with a torque wrench while on back brake. I see some people use a 2x4 through the spokes also. Probably not a Yamaha approved method.

Back brake or 2x4 would be useful seeing as I don't have the correct Yamaha tool.

Quote from: TexasDave on July 01, 2017, 01:01:19 AM
Good time to check wear on the clutch plates and do the clutch mod to get the larger friction plate and get rid of the wire.

That's what I wasn't hoping for

Cheers Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

TexasDave

I am no mechanic--just an old electrician but work on all my bikes with a manual. I have more than one factory manual for the two different FJ's I own. When I did my clutch and detent work I got a Clymer manual. Clymer has way better pictures of the clutch than the factory manuals. Also better instructions on removing all of the clutch parts and good diagrams of the clutch. If I can do it you can too.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Sparky84

Quote from: TexasDave on July 01, 2017, 02:27:16 AM
I am no mechanic--just an old electrician but work on all my bikes with a manual. I have more than one factory manual for the two different FJ's I own. When I did my clutch and detent work I got a Clymer manual. Clymer has way better pictures of the clutch than the factory manuals. Also better instructions on removing all of the clutch parts and good diagrams of the clutch. If I can do it you can too.

Dave

Same here Dave, just a simple electrician but as you said with better pictures and instructions anything is possible. And I only have the factory manual.
My mate that was a mechanic used to live 10 mins away but now is about 3.5 hrs so it's about far to take it there and leave so I can get instructions.

Cheers Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

oldktmdude

Might be a good job for the Manshed Day Alan. I've previously fitted two shift kits. If you can wait until then, fairly simple job, it won't take long for us to do.
Your call mate.
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

red

Quote from: Sparky84 on July 01, 2017, 02:45:45 AM
Quote from: TexasDave on July 01, 2017, 02:27:16 AMI am no mechanic--just an old electrician but work on all my bikes with a manual. . . . If I can do it you can too.
Dave
Same here Dave, just a simple electrician but as you said with better pictures and instructions anything is possible. And I only have the factory manual.  My mate that was a mechanic used to live 10 mins away but now is about 3.5 hrs so it's about far to take it there and leave so I can get instructions.
Cheers Alan
Alan,

You might consider making a list of work that the bike needs, and then collecting "tech write-ups" (processes) for that work from the FJ forums, on-line archives, manuals, and other good sources.  Print out what you need.  Get a loose-leaf binder and a short stack of page protectors, and make your own "manual" of your jobs.  It may be unreasonable to ride or transport an ailing bike on a 3.5 hour trip, but maybe you can hire lodging for your mechanic near you, buy dinner, and otherwise make it easy for the mechanic to come and visit for a day or three.  Ideally, this should be a teaching trip for the mechanic, not just a fix-it-for-you deal. Nobody is born as an ace mechanic, but if you start with simple jobs and good tech data, you can build your skills and confidence with a good mentor.  Your working binder will grow as you do a variety of jobs on the bike.  If needed, I would not hesitate to pay the mechanic some reasonable daily rate of pay, for their instruction/mentoring.  The only work that I want done by repair shops would be for carburetors, and then only if they have a machine to test exhaust gasses, cylinder-by-cylinder, for rich or lean operation.

All IMHO, of course; choose your own path . . .
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

racerrad8

Here was a great post from Alan, but the photobucket ordeal has taken the photos away.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=13911.0

Maybe when Alan gets some time he can change over to a different host and update the photos.

But, I know he is really  busy this time of year too.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

aviationfred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Firehawk068

Quote from: racerrad8 on July 02, 2017, 08:13:59 PM
Here was a great post from Alan, but the photobucket ordeal has taken the photos away.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=13911.0

Maybe when Alan gets some time he can change over to a different host and update the photos.

But, I know he is really  busy this time of year too.

Randy - RPM

Yeah, this whole photobucket thing sucks!
The worst part is that I've been using that site for years, and every photo that I've ever posted in numerous forums are all linked to that site!
I'm currently researching a new photo hosting site to transfer everything over...............I was just about ready to start using "Flickr", but it seems to have an issue with not generating a "BB code" in their mobile-app, so I'm back to doing some more research................... :dash1:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200