News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

87 resurrection

Started by TOaksFJ, May 02, 2017, 02:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdvorchak

I realize that I am new on this forum but not a noob when it comes to resurrecting old bikes. I've lost count of the 70's and 80's metric bikes I've brought back from the barn to fine running riding motorcycles. More than a couple of dozen. There are a few things I've learned over the years.

1. Never ever use WD-40. I keep a can here to lube the wire ropes on my auto lift as per the manufacturer.
2. PB Blaster is the ONLY penetrating oil I use and I put PB on every single fastener prior to putting a wrench or screwdriver on it. 
3. The above goes especially for spark plugs.
4. ONLY use an electrical contact cleaner, that is safe for all surfaces, for electrical connections and switches. I buy QD cleaner at Home Depot.
5. Cable lube I use Marvel Mystery Oil in a small bottle with a needle. Or Inox cable lube. (That's the bottle I reuse)
6. Anti-Seize on axles after a good cleaning.
7. I buy a grease from O'Reilly auto containing a large portion of Moly, molybdenum disulfide. If you can find it Honda Moly grease.
8. Plain white vinegar is safe for all surfaces and is an amazing rust and corrosion remover. I dip a wadded up piece of aluminum foil into the vinegar to clean rusty pitted chrome. Also to clean and restore electrical connectors. If possible I'll soak the entire multi-pin connector in vinegar for a few hours. Added benefit is that it will clean the wires so you can see the colors.
9. For cleaning dirty rusty drive chains I soak them overnight in plain diesel fuel then scrub with a wire brush. It cleans and lubes chains. After the soak I can determine is the chain is worth re-using. Usually not. In that case replace chain and both sprockets.
10. Diesel fuel is the only thing I put in my parts cleaner. Yeah it's smelly and leaves an oily residue but it's cheap and works very well.
11. Spray brake cleaner will work fine on carbs. I quite buying carb cleaner a few years ago.

That's about it for lubes etc. Some words of caution.
If it's hard to do, you're doing it wrong.
Get some JIS screwdrivers, #2 and #3 are used 99% of the time
When possible use 6 point sockets and end wrenches.
Buy two torque wrenches inch pound and foot pound. Any fastener on an engine should be torqued to spec. 

If I'm out of line I apologize.
Don't fix it until it's broke!