News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FJ1200 3CV is alive again

Started by Bantam, July 02, 2017, 01:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bantam

Well the last time I wrote on here was in the introductions when I had just embarked on my 88FJ rebuild.
Don't know where the time has gone since then but here is a quick summary of the results (have to take some pics too).

Completed initial rebuild and all was good in every respect except for the paint job (tank, plastics, etc.). The lacquer seemed to crackle or shrink leaving a poor finish that I have been unable to buff out.  :dash1:

Anyway, from a distance you cant tell so I resolved to modify a few things and see how I got on; if all went well I'd get the paint done again, properly this time.

1) Im 6ft2 tall with a knackered knee so the seat height needed increasing. Repacked the seat, put a new larger cover on and though it now looks like a bench it is perfect for me. Such a relaxed riding position, I feel really comfortable for 100 miles at a time before needing to stop. When out yesterday I wondered whether a larger screen might be useful to keep the win off though.
2) Wheels changed to exup wheels (well i've got loads of them so it would be stupid to do anything else). This mod started with the rear and I approached it from the wheel side by cutting down the cush drive area and modding the sprocket carrier a little. I did try to avoid touching the wheel but the mods to the sprocket carrier were too extensive and though I achieved it I didn't like it so much. I am now running a 170/60 rear tyre (dunlop roadsmart).
Front wheel was a doddle just reemed the fork legs to 17mm and re-tapped the thread to suit the standard exup wheel spindle. Had to modify the exup spindle by making it slightly longer to get full thread length into fork leg, did this by welding a nut onto the end and a little machining. Fitted with 120/70 (dunlop roadsmart).  I modified the rear wheel spacers to get the wheel central (the front doesn't need anything) using a laser to get an offset baseline from which I could measure to the centre of the wheel (+/-1mm).

The bike rides so well I can't believe it. It turns in great and corners at with no issues and feels planted at all times.  I'm loving it.
I will now check all the alignments again to be sure everything is as it should be and then I may machine another carrier because the one I'm using could be a little better (I machined the dust seal rim off but needn't have).

So do I get her resprayed now?

Noticed I may have the beginnings of a little clutch slip so will have to do that first.
FJ1200 - 1988 (on the road, brilliant)
XT660R - 2009 (on the road, great fun)
ExUp1000s - All gone now!
ZX12R - 2003 (insane)

Discovery 2 Td5 1998 - (4x4 fun)

Ford Transit Connect Van - 2009 (daily commute)

jdvorchak

Congrats on bringing another nice old bike back to life!
Don't fix it until it's broke!

Bantam

Well I've been out on this bike only a few times now and i'm very impressed, certainly light years ahead of the handling of my last xjr and nearer that of my fzr, very near. :good:
Didn't ride it on the old wheels and cross ply tyres, well I did but had an oversized radial on the front and it was awful.

I've stiffened up the rear suspension and that's all since the wheel mod. It feels really planted, uses full radius of rear tyre and most of front (no chicken strips).
I think that possibly I could do with a little more front end nose weight for higher speed corners (70mph+) but if I'm honest it's pretty close to perfect for the roads we have here.

May take it on a track day to see how it gets on with proper high speed cornering and then I'll know if I really need do anything.

WOW! :good2:
FJ1200 - 1988 (on the road, brilliant)
XT660R - 2009 (on the road, great fun)
ExUp1000s - All gone now!
ZX12R - 2003 (insane)

Discovery 2 Td5 1998 - (4x4 fun)

Ford Transit Connect Van - 2009 (daily commute)