News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Speed,and RPM guages are becoming unbearable

Started by Mike m, July 07, 2017, 07:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemi Bob

Hey Noel,
I like the heads-up display.  Would it be large enough to read easily or can the size be increased.
That windshield is a bit large would the display work with
the stock FJ 1100 windshield  ?  Most days I know where the pointer is for a given speed
reading glasses are a pain in the helmet. I have been reading some websites that advertise
a plastic magnifying sheets  the could be put over the cluster or on the bottom of your visor.
Thanks for the positive comments on my new gauges. I was trying to keep thing stock looking
when the bike of off other then the "Hemi Bob" on the fuel gauge.

Bob   
Robert
1985 FJ1100  Original Owner
1986 FJ1200  X Drag Bike
1981 Suzuki GS 1100ex
1981 Suzuki GS 750ex

PaulG

Quote from: ribbert on July 12, 2017, 07:42:52 AM
Then again, if I had Bobs instruments I'd probably ride straight through the first corner while admiring them.

Oh great.  Now ANOTHER mod to put on the list.  Thanks guys.   :mocking:

I don't know why folks here are always surprised when they discover their FJ speedo reads fast. So does the speedo on just about everything you've ever ridden or driven in your lifetime.

It's true!  :yes:  Cuz it's on the Internet!  How accurate is your speedo?  My brother told me of a quick way to check.  Late model Honda Civics (and I assume Acuras) have a big digital speedo that you can see from outside the car.  Pull up beside one on the highway and check your indicated vs the Honda's.  I did this last summer.  My speed was exactly 120kph.  The Honda was 115kph with no deviation, so I'm assuming the cruise control was on.  This is all relative as to how accurate the Honda's was as per the article above, but I'm guessing it's probably better than the FJ's.  At the very least I know how much of a buffer I have in the known heavilly patrolled areas.   :biggrin:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

ribbert

Quote from: Hemi Bob on July 12, 2017, 10:25:15 AM

.....I like the heads-up display.  Would it be large enough to read easily or can the size be increased.
That windshield is a bit large would the display work with
the stock FJ 1100 windshield  ? 
Bob   

Bob, the camera has distorted that photo a bit. It is a stock FJ screen (non USA) and not as wide as it looks but is probably steeper than the 1100 one you have.

A stand alone GPS digital speedo might be better for you. You can even get ones that the front cover pops off leaving just the screen slightly proud of the unit so it can be flush mounted from behind through a hole in the dash/trim/fairing/whatever.... for under $50. They can be mounted anywhere, only requiring a power source.

You could also just velcro mount it while riding and take it off at whim. My TPMS, chain oiler control, heated handgrip control and door opener are all only mounted with HD velcro.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

gumby302ho

Quote from: Wedge on July 11, 2017, 11:37:33 PM
ribbert, just ordered one of those dashtop gps speedo's. Had no idea something like that existed. My cabled speedo doesn't bounce since I replaced the cable and the entire cluster but I know it's off after comparing it to my Garmin Zumo which generally live on another bike. So this is a very cool addition! Thanks!

Excellent, you'll love the easy to read display and not having to drop your eyes to the speedo. Then again, if I had Bobs instruments I'd probably ride straight through the first corner while admiring them.

I don't know why folks here are always surprised when they discover their FJ speedo reads fast. So does the speedo on just about everything you've ever ridden or driven in your lifetime. Speedo error has been by design for as long as I can remember.

OMOOC

Noel
         Not to mention the faster one travels the higher percentage of speedo runout occurs, I still would like to know if I could hit the 150mph mark but I dont think there is enough steam in the boiler for actual true 150mph, its damm plenty fast though and does not take that long to get there!!!!!

ryanschoebel

Hey All, i did have a bouncy speedometer, and was able to reduce it by re-tightening the connection behind the gauge, and at the wheel. However, my tach is fine. But ,my fuel gauge likes to bounce, almost a full quarter of a tank. Is that normal, any ideas on that?

Thanks,

Ryan
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

FJmonkey

Quote from: ryanschoebel on August 03, 2017, 07:16:52 PM
Hey All, i did have a bouncy speedometer, and was able to reduce it by re-tightening the connection behind the gauge, and at the wheel. However, my tach is fine. But ,my fuel gauge likes to bounce, almost a full quarter of a tank. Is that normal, any ideas on that?

Thanks,

Ryan
I hide my fuel gauge with my Smartphone/GPS, the bouncing no longer distracts me. The FJ was the first bike I owned with a fuel gauge and I thought that was cool. Till I found it was not very linear with the reading. The only time it was correct was FULL and EMPTY. Having always used the trip meter I found a better use for that spot.

The problem is the damping fluid is long gone. Some have repaired them with mixed results. Finding a used good one is your most likely affordable option to have a working gauge.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

A bit expensive, but I believe this is one of the best options for OEM gauge replacement. Speed Hut gauges

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

timleslie1957

I thought I would throw this out there since I squeak when I walk.  I had a Honda V65 vf1100c before acquiring my '89 FJ.  I put a 10 dollar handlebar mount for cell phones onto it (actually a darned nice mount!) because I was hoping to use my old cellphone as a GPS speedometer without paying for data service.  Guess what ----- IT WORKED!  This might be old news to all you guys and gals, but new to me so forgive my exuberance! 

I had just gotten a new LG phone to up the size a bit for my daily buzzer.  I hated to see my old $29 USD phone get tossed in the trash, so I did a little research and found out if your old phone has wifi capability, you could still use the phone via your home or other wifi!  Well viola!  I did just that and it worked perfectly.  I downloaded a few of the kazillion apps for androids and found one I really liked (DiGi HUD).  Free app, large bright green digital display.  You can get totally free apps with analog looks, anything. 

This set up along with a very cheap USB plug installed on the bar as well to keep it charged was flawless and easy to use.  The software gives some great additives as well such as trip odometer, average speed, timing of quarter mile (I think it was this one) and other cool little things.  So instead of throwing that cell out, it can be used as a cool little gauge.  Not to mention, you can still run and download GPS maps and turn by turn navigation without having cell service and costs related to phone.  My two cents .. okay ... maybe three!   :smile:
Tim Leslie
"A bike and curvy roads ... priceless."

ZOA NOM

Quote from: timleslie1957 on September 15, 2017, 02:55:50 PM
I thought I would throw this out there since I squeak when I walk.  I had a Honda V65 vf1100c before acquiring my '89 FJ.  I put a 10 dollar handlebar mount for cell phones onto it (actually a darned nice mount!) because I was hoping to use my old cellphone as a GPS speedometer without paying for data service.  Guess what ----- IT WORKED!  This might be old news to all you guys and gals, but new to me so forgive my exuberance! 

I had just gotten a new LG phone to up the size a bit for my daily buzzer.  I hated to see my old $29 USD phone get tossed in the trash, so I did a little research and found out if your old phone has wifi capability, you could still use the phone via your home or other wifi!  Well viola!  I did just that and it worked perfectly.  I downloaded a few of the kazillion apps for androids and found one I really liked (DiGi HUD).  Free app, large bright green digital display.  You can get totally free apps with analog looks, anything. 

This set up along with a very cheap USB plug installed on the bar as well to keep it charged was flawless and easy to use.  The software gives some great additives as well such as trip odometer, average speed, timing of quarter mile (I think it was this one) and other cool little things.  So instead of throwing that cell out, it can be used as a cool little gauge.  Not to mention, you can still run and download GPS maps and turn by turn navigation without having cell service and costs related to phone.  My two cents .. okay ... maybe three!   :smile:

Did the same with an old iPhone 5s. Take a look at an app called "Car Camera". Fantastic HD looping video for the iPhone. It allows looping segments of video that overwrite themselves, leaving you with a perfect way to record rides, or just to use as a commuter dash cam.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca