News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Finally started on my FJ11 project

Started by Stoney, July 01, 2017, 01:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoney

:good2:

Bike has been in the shed for 10 years, been riding BMW's .. sorry.
I bought it on ebay on a whim, took a 5 hour train trip to Grafton,  found the bike was not as described (surprise surprise) .. bought it anyway and rode it home, it blew smoke, the clutch slipped and right hand corners made a nasty gearbox noise in 4th gear. It had a few other issues I cannot remember any longer, however, it rode beautifully and I discovered some roads near my place that I did not know existed, still have not revisited them..
This was my route if anyone cares https://goo.gl/maps/r1TpfsTAr9T2

So I parked it in the shed and bought a K75 beemer and then later a K100.. poor old FJ was put on the back burner.

I have loved FJ's since taking one for a test drive in the late 80's .. ended up buying a CBX750 instead back then. Can't remember why, it was a lot cheaper I think.

So today I started on it and snapped a few 'before' pics, though I already had the covers, tank and carbs out before thinking to take some snaps.

Beware, sick FJ pics inside ... http://imgur.com/a/Hq1va

balky1

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Stoney

No pics today, must sort out my old pentax for the shed instead of avoiding taking pics with my Canon.

Took 2 hours but managed to get the floats, needles and seats out.
I had to drive out the float pins as they were glued to the flat hinge, the retaining screws for the seats needed a cold chisel to start them turning and the seats had to be grabbed with vice grips and a prybar used to get them out.
Diaphragms look ok though. Still a layer like laquer coating the floats..

X-Ray

Wow, yep those carbs are going to need a thorough strip/clean/soak to get them sparkly and working again. No biggie though, easy fun job to do.  Looks like a good project overall  :drinks:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Stoney

Quote from: X-Ray on July 02, 2017, 07:25:02 AM
Wow, yep those carbs are going to need a thorough strip/clean/soak to get them sparkly and working again. No biggie though, easy fun job to do.  Looks like a good project overall  :drinks:

Actually all the gunk is only below the float bowl lip, the upper section is pretty clean.
A petrol soak did not very much, my second attempt worked much better, rubber gloves, forceps, steel wool and acetone for the win !

Updated imgur album, now I am thinking I want shiney bright polished carbs..

X-Ray

Acetone works really well. For the second set of carbs just recently I bought some Yamaha Carb Dip, and it did some amazing things, although mine were not caked on with varnish etc. Cleaned up the brass pieces great, all shiny again.
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Urban_Legend

I bought it on ebay on a whim, took a 5 hour train trip to Grafton,  found the bike was not as described (surprise surprise)

If I had of only know. I could have checked it out for you...being a Grafton resident and all. Actually didn't know there was another FJ11 in the area.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Stoney

Quote from: Urban_Legend on July 05, 2017, 01:23:39 AM
I bought it on ebay on a whim, took a 5 hour train trip to Grafton,  found the bike was not as described (surprise surprise)

If I had of only know. I could have checked it out for you...being a Grafton resident and all. Actually didn't know there was another FJ11 in the area.

Mark

It was about 10 years ago ;)

Not much progress today, managed to poke an airbrush cleaning wire through the starter jets (side of float bowl) so they all are open now.
One needle destroyed :( end of the rubber simply fell off, I think it must have been really stuck in the seat that one.
All the floats are nice and clean now, found a scrub with a tiny wire brush and acetone cleaned up the metal but the plastic was easier cleaned with #000 steel wool dry. The laquer came off as dust then.
2 of the float drains were partly mangled by the original owner, cleaned up the heads with a file and cut a nicer slot with a disc on a dremel.
Just need a clean up of the top of the float bowl (carb bottom) now and then I might try buff polishing the float bowls and see if I can get a nice shine on them, blow some air through every orifice and carbs should be ready to go back on if I want.
Wiseco big bore kits have doubled in price since I last looked, think I just see if a new set if stock rings is going to sort it, not sure whether to try and start it or simply pull the motor and strip it first, I think the latter since it probably needs a good clean up in there.

Urban_Legend

Ok, you got me there. 10 years ago I was still bikeless and married. I lost one, but gained the other since then. Only had an FJ for 2 1/2 years.

Try the cheap option first. If it has been a while since she was started, pour some oil in the spark plug holes (only a cap full) and let it soak for a while, and hopefully that will free the rings up a  bit. There have been a few guys on here that have had barn find bike with frozen rings, that freed up after some use. But expect you own personal smoke screen from a while.

I hope it all goes well for the start up.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Stoney

Started a project thread instead of here over at http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=17069.0

I think the motor is coming out tomorrow..