News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

No spark on 84' 1100

Started by Ksmash, July 15, 2017, 02:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ksmash

Hi all, I'm new to the forum although I have been reading through it for some time. I have exhausted all possibilities and patience on a no spark issue. The  bike ran just fine a week ago. On the way home from work it started to bog down, like it wasn't getting enough fuel. I have plenty of gas in the tank, and I can smell the fuel. Pulled the plug wires off to check the plugs, and besides being a little dark(running to rich and always has) they were fine. Cleaned them up and put them back in. Check for spark coming out of the wires and I've got nothing! It will arc once when turning the run start switch in the off position, or turning the key to the off position. Other than that, no spark. Checked for shorts, frayed or rubbed wires, replaced battery, replaced a few wires that were old and questionable, replaced battery leads, checked run/off switch and replaced with aftermarket just to determine problem, disassembled key ignition switch and cleaned. I'm at a dead end and the only other thing I can think it might be is the igniter. I doubt it as it has run and started fine since the day I bought it. Also replaced generator. I am mechanically inclined by all means. I was always told there is no such thing as a stupid question, because your attempting to learn. Please help guys, as I am losing a great amount of sleep troubleshooting, almost to the point of selling the damn thing. Any help is appreciated.
A wise man has something to say because he is wise; a fool, has to say something.

Old Rider

Have you checked the clutch lever switch ?mayby some bug there or the sidestand switch.On mine 86 1200  sometimes it wont start
i got bad connection in the sidestand switch.when i move the little pin that goes into sidestand it fires.This happens when i washed
the bike or riding in wet conditions.i use wd 40 it helps,but its time to get a new switch.
Oh yes one more thing..i remember i had similar trouble many years ago on my 85 1100 then it was something with the fuelsender
unit contactplug .the wires that comes from under fuel tank and connects under lesft side cover.i not 100% sure but i think i hardwired the connector and it fired,but i dont remeber 100% for sure so do it at own risk.

Ksmash

Yes sir, I have checked sidestand, clutch, and was going to check nuetral switch as well but it is shifting in and out of gear and the neutral switch and light goes on and off. As for the wires under the tank, I thought they may have been funky just because of their location, so I check them as well the other day. Avast, still no luck. Feel free to chime in anyone with an idea. I've checked most obvious things but I could and hope I'm missing something small and right in front of my face. The aggravation of electrical is something I have learned to dislike from a young age
A wise man has something to say because he is wise; a fool, has to say something.

FJ_Hooligan

Maybe check the pickups on the left side of the crank?

If you see a spark when you turn the key off that should mean you've got power to the coils (easy enough to measure).  You're missing the signal to the ignition to interrupt the ground and allow the coil to fire the plug.  Which could be a bad pickup or, like you suspect, an igniter issue.

DavidR.

FJ_Hooligan

DavidR.

Ksmash

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on July 15, 2017, 04:23:52 PM
Where in Texas?
Hey there Hooligan. I'm in Rockport, about 45mins from Corpus Christi. I see that your in Olahoma. my mother lives in Lawton.

Ksmash

Hooligan,
  Do I pull the cover off, and look to see that they spark upon the rotation? Also, I just noticed a small crack in the case cover. Would this be giving it the chance to ground out? Thanks again bud.

FJ_Hooligan

There won't be any sparking at the pickups.  That is where the ignition senses the position of the crank to fire the plugs at the appropriate time on each coil.

Since you've got no spark on any of the plugs, it sounds like an ignitor problem or a bad wire.

Do you have a wiring diagram?  Try ohming the pickup wires and trace the signal up to the ignitor connector.  The pickup signals go through a connector under the right sidecover.  Ohm them from the pickup point at the rotor up to this connector first.  Then see if they make it to the ignitor connector.

It just started doing this suddenly?  Did you make it home or did the motor eventually shut off on you?  If it was electrical I don't think it would bog down.  Electrical components are usually either working or not.

Pull the rotor cover and make sure there's no condensation in there.

DavidR.

DavidR.

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Ksmash on July 15, 2017, 02:31:47 AM
On the way home from work it started to bog down, like it wasn't getting enough fuel. I have plenty of gas in the tank...

Pinched fuel line?

Ksmach, fuel line routing is important on gravity flow FJ's ('84-87)  
See my signature line, you can download an Owner's Handbook for your specific model FJ. In the back is a color coded wiring diagram for your bike.

Ohm test your pick up coils at the plug connector to the ignition box. You should read between 149 to 182 ohms at 70* F for each coil. Take a hair dryer and warm up the coils for testing.

Welcome
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3