News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Limped home last weekend

Started by Mike m, July 21, 2017, 08:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike m

Found a my plug wire boots were in desperate need of replacing,happy Joy  joy Thursday when they arrived, installed and no change bike was still horribly missing,tonight I discovered my generator has bit the dust not bad for 30+years old

racerrad8

Quote from: Mike m on July 21, 2017, 08:17:33 PM
I discovered my generator has bit the dust ...

How did you discover that?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Mike m

Its working now,after cleaning this morning, idk how long it'll keep working,however I still have a horrible miss,it gets worse as the bike gets hotter,checked the  compression in my cylinders this morning 120-125 across the board,wot/chock closed, bike warmed up.so Ive eliminated that possible cause,

Mike m

I've been reading the resistors in the plug boots help preserve the life of the igniter,with those boots I replaced being so damaged I'm affaid I've allowed my lack of maintain in that area destroy my igniter.

racerrad8

Quote from: Mike m on July 22, 2017, 03:23:46 PM
Its working now,after cleaning this morning

Oh, that's good.

Quote from: Mike m on July 22, 2017, 03:23:46 PM
however I still have a horrible miss,it gets worse as the bike gets hotter,

Did you check for spark at all four plug ends?
Did you check the spark plugs and make sure they are not fouled?
Did you check the exhaust temp to see which cylinder(s) is not firing properly?

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

Mike m

I started the bike and pulled plug wires as it was running.cylinder 1/2 made the most difference in the engine almost stalling out,cylinder 3 had very little effect on running however thier is a change (engine looping)cylinder 4 thier was a considerable difference in engine idling, my plugs were installed in march.I already purchased me plugs I'll install them tomorrow

Mike m

I'll get in my service manual and check the procedure as to checking my coils resistance, then try a test on them tomorrow, as I mentioned the missing gets worse the warmer the bike gets.idk if Thiers a testing procedure for the cdi yet

Mike m

Installed new plugs this morning, removed my coils and check primary and secondary,they were fine,I still got a miss,poping out the exhaust while cruising now its on both exhaust sides.wot its fine,acceleration its fine but at a steady ride it pops

Mike m

Sorry for the bother.I put 120 main jets in and its caused my bike to load up.I've rectified the problem. I just don't no why it didn't happen earlie,