News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Ribbert Report

Started by ribbert, August 11, 2017, 10:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

If I have to do maintenance on my bike I do it over the Summer when it's too hot to ride, the roads are too busy and the Police and tourists are out in force.

A recent accident however forced my hand. 8 weeks ago I came into a corner too hot, failed to notice the damp pavement in the shade of trees, lost grip with one, then both and went down. I landed on my back on a raised curb. I have been unable to work or ride since and that will likely be the case for some time to come. The embarrassing thing is, I was on foot at the time!

So, with limited mobility I contemplated what I could do with my time. One of my first thoughts was to monitor the forum 24/7 and answer every post as it appeared. I considered the toll this would take on Mike's health and decided not to.

Next? bike maintenance...UUUggghh. Procrastination can be a very productive habit, getting all sorts of jobs done to avoid doing the one you should.

I started with this....

I always seem to moving my bike in and out of and around the garage. It is always difficult to move and I have nearly lost it a couple of times.

Removable handle and it works a treat.

Then this often forgotten item....

Cleaned and greased.

A wash, polish and wax and a bit of detailing....

The bike hadn't been washed since my last trip in the scrub some months back.

The swing arm needs re painting so out with that and ......damn....well, there goes $600... I could re use these for a while with fresh grease but it seems a bit silly and the parts won't get any cheaper.

Plus many other jobs planned.

All this productive work to avoid the one job I said I must do before I ride it again and the job I most hate....

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

fj1289

Sucks not being able to ride due to an injury not even caused by riding!

Nice lift and great mod to it -- I "need" one of those!

Sparky84

Sorry to hear of your injury Noel but it does seem you're making the most of it.
I know about that procrastination, but more of that later.
Nice lift handle.

It does suck not being able to ride or do anything normal due to injury or illness

Which Triathlon were you competing in Noel?

Hope you get better soon mate and keep posting.

Cheers Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

FJmonkey

Sounds like your FJ has better traction than you, heal well Noel.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

simi_ed

:Facepalm:
Quote from: FJmonkey on August 11, 2017, 06:23:54 PM
Sounds like your FJ has better traction than you, heal well Noel.
Ouch!  That was a cheap shot Mark!
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Pat Conlon

Heal up quickly Noel, there are many more adventures for you!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Bones

As you now know Noel, as we get older we don't seem to bounce as well as we used to. I had a mishap on a recent ride where I walked in to the men's room in my brand new riding boots, and combined with a smooth concrete floor damp from either bad aim or leaky tap, went arse up and landed flat on my side. Hit the deck that fast i didn't even know what happened at first and laid there for a few seconds before finally getting up. No injury on my part only my pride, but I know how quick these things can happen.

Good idea with the handle welded on to the lift, but noticed your welding prowess is about on par with mine, it's good to know that I'm not alone in regard with mishaps and welding skills and have something in common with somebody else. :biggrin:
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

TexasDave

Nice report with pictures Noel. Sorry to hear about your injuries--heal up fast. At our age we should stay off those skateboards.

Ride safe
Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

ribbert

Quote from: Bones on August 12, 2017, 04:30:28 AM

......but noticed your welding prowess......

Haha, I just knew someone would pick up on that. Seam welding at the optimal amperage blows the circuit breaker in the garage. If the weld is important or for a customer, I run a lead into the house (not that it looks a lot better) :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Thanks for well wishes guys, it kills me being off the bike for so long. I don't like doing maintenance at the best of times but it's worse when there's no ride reward at the end.

I shouldn't complain, there are many poor bastards out there who for reasons of injury or health have had to give up riding for good (and some for reasons of marriage that barely started)

Noel

oldktmdude

Noel, ya silly ol' bugger, hope you're healing well mate. Can't have you injured and not making it to the Manshed Day. It wouldn't be the same without you.
That may be a good time to give you a bit of tutition on your welding skills. Let me know, I may be able to help you brush up on your technique.
Great thinking on the handle for your lift table, one of these days, I'll buy one of those. It's gradually getting harder to bend over to work on the bikes I maintain.
My latest project is a very small GSXR 400, long way down to the routine maintenance areas on these midget bikes.  
  Hope you recover soon. Regards, Pete.   :drinks:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

ribbert

Quote from: oldktmdude on August 12, 2017, 07:11:29 AM

..........lift table, one of these days, I'll buy one of those. It's gradually getting harder to bend over to work on the bikes I maintain.

Pete, I don't consider a lift table an option nor something to put off until you can't work on the floor anymore. I guarantee that when you get one you will kick yourself every single day for the first 6 mths for not getting one years ago. They are relatively cheap and are often on eBay second hand. Get a mechanics stool as well and you'll be laughing.

Note the beer tray under the seat, I've even heard of some blokes using it for tools and parts.

Seriously Pete, you need one of these.

As for the Manshed Day, I hope I'm back on the road well before then. If not I'll weld a jib onto the back of the FJ (if you think the weld will hold) and hoist myself on. I don't think I need to start browsing Trike magazines just yet.

Noel

oldktmdude

Quote from: ribbert on August 12, 2017, 09:46:06 AM
Pete, I don't consider a lift table an option nor something to put off until you can't work on the floor anymore. I guarantee that when you get one you will kick yourself every single day for the first 6 mths for not getting one years ago. They are relatively cheap and are often on eBay second hand. Get a mechanics stool as well and you'll be laughing.

Note the beer tray under the seat, I've even heard of some blokes using it for tools and parts.

Seriously Pete, you need one of these.

As for the Manshed Day, I hope I'm back on the road well before then. If not I'll weld a jib onto the back of the FJ (if you think the weld will hold) and hoist myself on. I don't think I need to start browsing Trike magazines just yet.
Noel
A lift table is the next thing on my list of expenses for this year, but first and foremost is our Tassie trip. It's consuming all the spare cash I can muster at this stage. I like that mobile seat and what a bonus, it has a beer tray. Great thinking Noel.
I'm sure your welding is more than good enough to fabricate all your projects, including a bike mounting jib. I'm a welder by trade so I can't help myself from being critical of any welding I see, please don't take it personally.
   Looking forward to seeing you up here in December.
   Regards, Pete.   :good2:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

ribbert

Quote from: oldktmdude on August 13, 2017, 06:22:07 AM

........ I'm a welder by trade so I can't help myself from being critical of any welding I see, please don't take it personally.

Pete you can do one of two things when in the company of people who know more than you or do something better than you. You can waste time being defensive of your own skills and justifying your level of competence or you can seize the opportunity to learn something and improve yourself.

I always strive for the latter, it's how you learn! Welding critique and tips welcome.

I'm glad the bike lift is seriously on your list. When you get it, if you don't reckon it's the best thing you've bought since the FJ, the beer's on me!

Yep, looking forward to December, particularly after this enforced layoff. I feel like a chunk of me has been removed not being able to ride for so long and nothing fills the gap it leaves. My wife has even started asking when I think I'll be riding again and I don't think it's my well being she has in mind.  :biggrin:

Noel

CutterBill

Lift tables... I had one of those. Tried it a few times and hated it. Gave it away.  For me, it's easier to just sit/kneel on the floor.  Strange, no?
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing