Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Really bad oily smoke on start up :-(

Started by Josh.vesey, August 22, 2017, 07:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh.vesey

Hi folks.
Bike has had a service with 20/50.
Carbs cleaned  and balanced and valves checked. The bike is running lovely. But it smokes like a tractor when you start it up.
150 psi on all cylinders. The bike is using oil. Do you think its the valve stem seals? Cheers folks!

balky1

Quote from: Josh.vesey on August 22, 2017, 07:07:03 AM
Hi folks.
Bike has had a service with 20/50.
Carbs cleaned  and balanced and valves checked. The bike is running lovely. But it smokes like a tractor when you start it up.
150 psi on all cylinders. The bike is using oil. Do you think its the valve stem seals? Cheers folks!

There is a way of knowing it, I'm just not sure if I'm going to write it correctly:
while you ride if it smokes on hard throttle then the piston rings are bad and if you close the throttle from high RPMs and  smokes, then the valve stem seals are to blame.
Or is it the other way around....  :scratch_one-s_head: :scratch_one-s_head:
Someone more experienced will correct me for sure.
Or you can search on the forum yourself, there are many posts about it. Use Google and include fjowners.com at the end of the search string.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Josh.vesey

jscgdunn

Sounds like valve seals.  Oil pools to the left side on side stand.  Try storing on centre stand to see if it smokes less on start-up. Sounds like you have good compression.....I would just ride it!
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

Josh.vesey

Yeah cylinder 3 and 4 look oily in exhaust ports. Maybe a job for the winter then. It embarrasing more that anything. The smoke fills tge street when i start it up and it stinks.

Josh.vesey

Especially when my neighbours habe there bedroom window open  :sarcastic: