News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

RPM Suspension.

Started by GS Jockey, August 15, 2017, 01:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GS Jockey

OK, it's a couple of months now since I fitted my RPM shock, which completed a full makeover of the suspension on my 3CV ('89) 1200. So I've had a couple of months of riding to asses it, and the difference to the old set up.

Easiest way to put it is that I paid £645.00 ($829.75) for the bike back in Oct 2009. I've just bought the complete kit: Valves, Springs, bushes, seals and brace for the forks, and the rear shock, for £1272.58 ($1637.55). With a pair of the dust seals with built-in fork shields that I got in UK, that's just about twice the price I originally paid for the bike, just on new suspension. Was it worth it?

YES!

It may have been twice the price of the bike, but the bike is now far more than twice what it was. Like most of us I've always enjoyed the twisties. But even with a decent (Hagon) replacement shock, riding them could get to the stage where I had to work at it to get the bike round them. Work at it? Nah.... that spoils the ride...

Now, it's almost just a mental process... just think "I want to go round this bend with minimum loss of speed" and the bike just goes round as instructed. Even the straight bits that connect the twisty sections of roads have become boring, and only through absolute necessity will Snowflake (my bike) ever go on a motorway (Freeway) again.

When I mentioned I'd got this lot in one of the Facebook groups, somebody commented that 'It's a very nice way to spend just North of a Grand.'

I couldn't have put it better.

Yes, I know it's a lot of money, but if you're in a position to do it, and you're thinking about it, then stop thinking, do it!
Unfortunately I am no longer young enough to know everything...

TexasDave

I spent twice what I paid for my FJ on Randy's suspension upgrades. What a difference they make. If you plan on keeping the FJ it is a very good investment. I have a great handling bike at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Ride safe
Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Country Joe

1993 FJ 1200

fjbiker84

I'm going to replace the rear shock on my 84 soon and after that do the RPM upgrade for the front forks.  I have no doubt it's going to make a big difference. 

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Of course you know RPM has great rear shock too.  I was looking at new bikes over the week end, not to buy. But I have been tempted many times. I realize a new bike is going blow my mind with the improved handling and power (not that I need more power). The same day I made other stops Harbor Freight, Auto Zone, the usual. Each time I was complimented in the parking lot "nice bike". Shot up to Crystal Lake, a local ride. Was asked if I was interested in selling. The kid was shocked to find it was 30 years old. Back at the bike shop, Berts, which sell several brands, I found that, in very my predigest opinion there was not a "prettier" bike in the place. A lot of them do get my adrenaline up but... just not as good looking. Anything in the store I would really want costs more than $17K. So if spending a few thousand dollars on a few thousand dollar bike (mine might go $2000) makes it much better and it does it for you. It is good investment. Now if I just can just find a damn fairing protector for the right side cowling! But body parts are another story.

FJmonkey

Mike, I may have an option for your missing piece.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

fjbiker84

Mike, I have already bought a Wilbers rear shock.  Was the brand and model recommended I install by Poway Motorcycles when I was considering having them do the work.  Haven't installed it yet but hoping to get it done in the near future.  Your observations are identical to mine - the FJ is just a classic design.  I often get comments when I take it out for a ride.  Last Saturday morning while on my usual loop around the Palos Verdes peninsula I was siting at a traffic light on PCH when a guy on a 03 Ninja pulled up next to me.  We raised our visors and talked for the next several stoplights.  He knew enough about the FJ to know mine was an early model and also thought the FJ's design was "pretty cool."  I couldn't agree more!   

Tor-King

Mike, I PM'd you.  I may have an extra air scoop "protector" that you are looking for...
Dean
1993 Yamaha FJ1200
1988 Yamaha FJ1200
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
1984 Honda Nighthawk S 750
1972 Yamaha XS-2
1972 Honda CT70
1974 Honda CT70
1992 Yamaha DT50 MX
2012 Honda CBR250R
2008 Honda CBR125R

Pat Conlon

Yep, there is much love out there for our FJ's. Here is something I posted several years ago:

Quote from: Pat Conlon on November 21, 2010, 02:01:31 AM
I've heard people express nothing but fond memories about our FJ's. More times that I could keep track, they would say something like, "That sure was a good bike. I wish I still had one..."

I grew up in Covina, Calif. about 1.5 hours away from Palm Desert via I-10 west. Growing up, one of my favorite circuits in that area was Azusa Canyon Road to Glendora Canyon road then over to Mount Baldy. Like any popular spots it gets crowded on weekends but on weekdays the road is empty.

Feeling nostalgic last year on a Thursday I rode my '84 back to the old homestead, putted up Mesarica through the Mesa Oaks, laughing to myself recalling my first (of 4) run ins with the LA County Sheriff's Dept. It seems that they would not let us ride our mini bikes on the street, yea right, but it didn't stop us. We had hills all around us where we could simply escape off onto a single track trail from any goofy sheriff who thought they could get us to stop. "You want me to stop officer?" Yea right. My trusty 3hp Briggs and Stratton was only good for 40mph flat out, so out running the sheriff on the asphalt was futile. These guys would get sooo pissed when we ditched them. Amazing. They really took it personally.
I stopped at the spot where I got cornered by a squad car when the chain broke on my minibike.
A 10 year old kid coming home in handcuffs delighted my mom, as you can imagine.

But, I digress..

I was purring through the old neighborhood and saw some kids pointing, waving and giving me a thumbs up. I gave them a wave and a big growl from my Cobra F-1R's. I flashed back, remembering waving like that to Mike Massey when he rode by on the coolest, most bitchen bike ever made....a Honda 305 scrambler.
Wow, I thought, if I had my FJ back then, I just might have gotten lucky with Candy Grady, the neighborhood fox...naaa prolly not.

For old times sake I made a run up Azusa Canyon over Glendora Canyon to Mt. Baldy Village for a cup of joe. A tight twisty road but I had it all to my self.

On my way back to the desert I thought I would stop by Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino, and oogle at the gear and all the new bikes.
Locked my helmet and walked in...A HUGE store. Yep and a shitload of new fancy bikes. I think my next bike will be a play bike like a supermotard KTM or maybe the new 1200 Aprilla or maybe a V4 Tuono something with upright ergos, sticky rubber and some balls. Try as I might, I cannot get my 6'3" frame comfortable on the new sport bikes. That's one of the many reasons I love my FJ....
Anyhoo, while kicking tires, I get into a conversation with Jerry, the Sales Manager, and he asked me, what kind of bike did I ride? I told him that back in '84 I bought the flagship of the Yamaha line, the FJ1100 and I still ride it....Boy howdy, he got all excited. He asked "Is it outside I sure would love to see it." I said "Sure, come on I'll show you." We went outside, he walked around my bike 3 times, like a dog looking for someplace to piss, then he said, "Stay here I'll be right back." 'ole Jerry rushes back into the building. After about 5 minutes he comes back with 5 other guys, younger guys, turns out who were was part of his sales team. Jerry points to my bike and says, "See that bike? That's the first Yamaha FJ1100. That is the bike that really started the sport touring craze. That bike is a significant motorcycle..." One of the youngsters (25ish) piped in and said "Oh yea, I remember the FJ's, my dad had a FJ....He loved it...He would take me for a ride on the back. It was the first bike I ever rode on"

So here we are, on a smoggy Thursday afternoon, in San Bernardino, Calif. standing in the front parking area at Chaparral Motorsports with all six members of the Chaparral sales team talking about FJ's ....and how they evolved into the larger heavier FJR's (which btw they sell) They had lot's of questions.

Standing outside of a building that has the floor area of 1/2 a city block, with over 200 shiny new bikes inside, and we are talking about FJ's .

Over 200 new shiny motorcycles ignored, getting jealously pissed off,  while we are outside talking about a "significant" motorcycle.... Yea, that was kinda cool.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

X-Ray

I somehow missed that post of yours Pat, but it's excellent.  (Circled it like a dog looking for a place to piss!!, lol, oh how I chortled). :). :)
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

racerrad8

Quote from: Mike 86 in San Dimas on August 22, 2017, 10:14:04 PM
So if spending a few thousand dollars on a few thousand dollar bike (mine might go $2000) makes it much better and it does it for you. It is good investment. Now if I just can just find a damn fairing protector for the right side cowling! But body parts are another story.

Sounds like the fairing protector is handled...

Now, we have the RPM Fall Rally coming up in about a month. If you want to come up a day earlier we can get your suspension updated. Remember, it makes our bike safer for both you and her.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Quote from: racerrad8 on August 24, 2017, 06:45:56 PM
Now, we have the RPM Fall Rally coming up in about a month.

I really need to check in more often. I expect to be adding my name to the attendee list soon.

FJmonkey

Mike

3D printed so it is a bit rough and needs a little surface prep and paint.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

Quote from: FJmonkey on August 25, 2017, 12:55:30 AM
Mike

I kind of like the industrial finish. Maybe get a program written/scanned for both the left and right sides and have matched sets.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

balky1

Quote from: FJmonkey on August 25, 2017, 12:55:30 AM
Mike

Does it have the tabs on the backside, too?

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009