News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Renegade Rally 2017

Started by andyoutandabout, August 17, 2017, 05:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyoutandabout

Nice offer Ron. Best advice at the moment seems to be stay inside to allow emergency services to do their magic and avoid outside air pollution. We are in good shape right now, but things are very much in limbo and we have bags packed and ready to roll at a moments notice. Just how much room is on that boat of yours?
The ever brilliant fire brigade is constantly flying up and down the road and the optimist within me says Napa will be relatively OK unlike those poor buggers in Santa Rosa who really got nailed. A great source of info is KVON 1440 AM and the fire maps available at:
maps.nwcg.gov
Don't write off the Renegade just yet. I'll try to ride the route on Friday if things have calmed. Stay tuned to this thread for rally updates. The air quality now is terrible, but the valley clears out quickly especially when a force of Fjs are on the charge.
Andy
life without a bike is just life

Capn Ron

Glad to hear things are currently good at your homestead!  I'm currently on a ride to get some fresh air...literally!  Should be less smoke on up PCH... :good2:
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

andyoutandabout

With ultimate sadness, but complete sensibleness (if that's a word), the Renegade is going to have to be postponed. It's a mess here and will likely be so for a good while.
Still there maybe one or two good weekends before the weather turns, so give that bike a final buff and keep your fingers crossed.
Andy
life without a bike is just life

Mike Ramos

Quote from: andyoutandabout on October 12, 2017, 12:11:19 AM
With ultimate sadness, but complete sensibleness (if that's a word), the Renegade is going to have to be postponed. It's a mess here and will likely be so for a good while.
Still there maybe one or two good weekends before the weather turns, so give that bike a final buff and keep your fingers crossed.
Andy

Andy,

A very fair minded call - and sensible as well.

Of the numerous families of which I am aware that live in the area more than five have been heard from: yours and two other homes are intact however three have lost everything & several are in limbo awaiting to hear the outcome.

Best wishes to one and all...

Pat Conlon

Take care Andy.
I know how much you were looking forward to your gathering. :drinks:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJmonkey

Well, this saves me from having to cancel. Even better, I might have a fighting chance to make the new (TBD) date. Get things sorted out at home and keep in touch.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mark Olson

Well wouldn't you know it was Andy's turn to host the Renegade Rally this year and He planned it beautifully with great accommodations , food and wonderful ride route all ready to go. Then Mother nature shows up and Ruins the whole thing.  :diablo:

Alas we shall engage in a TBD Renegade Rally Before the end of the Year .. I mean we are in California and we ride all year long.  :good2:

Have faith the Renegade God fathers : Myself , Craig Zari, Andy French will pull a Rabbit out of a hat and get this sorted out.

Right now we are set to help Andy as needed.  :empathy:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

racerrad8

Yep, can't fight mother nature.

I wish I did not have to go back to work tonight through Monday. We could have switched venues. Everyone could have come back to Oakdale for the second week in a row.

After the great rides last week, I doubt anyone who was here last week would have any issue running the same roads again.

One thing my new work schedule has for sure. I have to work every weekend, at least until March.

If the godfathers do come up with another date soon, let me know. I will try and get the time off since this weekends request was denied.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

roortcloud

Gentleman. With the idea of continuing the Renegade Rally tradition without stepping on any ones toes, especially our good friend Andy, I would like to offer a solution should none other exist.
I live in Brentwood in a nearly empty nest and accommodate a fairly good size group. The date I have in mind is Nov. 3rd-5th. The ride route would include 2 local mountains, Mt. Diablo & Mt. Hamilton for a total of approx. 230 miles. Further details later should my offer be excepted. Our best wishes to the folks effected by the terrible fires in the north bay.
Ron

FJmonkey

Ron, even if the Renegade rally in Napa happens, you could still host a "Refuge" or "Smoked Out" or [insert name here] rally. Us SoCal members have been talking about a SoCal rally as well. But so far it has all just been talk.  :blush:

roortcloud

Submitted for review and consideration by the "God Fathers" as a possible 2017 Renegade Rally Route.
You'll notice a gap on Redwood Road. Apparently there's a "dead zone" here in Google maps.
We start in Brentwood and ride to the summit of Mt Diablo. Entry fee is $10 per motorcycle.
Back track slightly to Morgan Territory road and into Livermore and Mines road.
Stop for lunch at the "Junction" then onto the summit of Mt. Hamilton.
Continue into east San Jose then north on hwy 680 to Sunol.
Take Niles and Polomares canyon roads into Castro Valley and fuel, smoke break if needed.
Continue on Redwood road to Skyline road and toward Berkeley and "The Wall" on Grizzly Peak road. (another great photo opportunity)
Thru Tilden Park to Bear Creek then Alhambra Valley to hwy 4 and Brentwood.
255 miles.
Note: Mt. Diablo was closed this week due to fire danger but is open now and should be open in Nov.
This is a different route (better) then I considered earlier and unfortunately & unavoidably there are some freeways to navigate.
Hopefully the map made it into this post. Can't see it when I preview.

Flynt

Not a Godfather, but that's a long day I think...  Still I'm in for some of it anyway.  I want to hit Junction, so Maybe I could meet you guys there or in SJ at my place?

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

roortcloud

Hey Frank & others, too bad you couldn't make the Fall Rally earlier, it was terrific. Looking forward to this ride if things work out, and yes Frank, lets meet at Junction for lunch.
I've included an alternate route that shortens the miles but does include freeway and city navigation. The route can also be shortened by eliminating Mt. Diablo (missing a great view)
For those who've never ventured here, the east bay hills, water shed areas and canyons offer a variety of outstanding roads. Not as great as "Priest Grade" or "Little Dragon" but very close.
Additionally for those who prefer other accommodations there are motels in Brentwood. Of course this all becomes moot should the situation with Andy change and we all meet up in Napa.

Flynt

Quote from: roortcloud on October 19, 2017, 03:10:10 PM
Additionally for those who prefer other accommodations

I could put up a couple of riders for a couple of nights if you want to join me going up Mt Ham to Junction (1.5hrs or so) to meet, eat, then get to ride it in reverse...  I like to do that on this road especially.  You will miss the nice stretch from Livermore to Junction, but many more bicycles, bikes, cars, gravel, etc on that road.  Anyway, I'm still in if it happens.

Frank

PS - I'm in east SJ about 20 miles from Mt Ham observatory (Lick Observatory).  5 miles from me to Mt Ham Rd (130).

PSS - I'm still hoping to do the Napa version as well...  but Andy might want to come hear AC/DC on my stereo or something like that and give his nerves a rest for a bit.
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

FJmonkey

And Frank has a pool table, not the same as telling lies around a campfire but just as fun but with less Thermite.