News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Hepco & Becker, '87 Complete rack, or alternative

Started by Multi, April 02, 2019, 07:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Multi

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for a complete rack from Hepco and Becker for an '87 FJ.
 I tried ordering it on internet but the delivery is due on september, wich is way too long.
I just got my FJ, I love it, and I'd like to travel on it with my girlfriend this summer. But she'll need something to rest her back on for longer rides.
Does anyone, by any chance have one of these? Or an easy to get alternative?

Thanks in advance

ZOA NOM

I love my Corbin Gunfighter/Lady seat with the backrest. GF loves it. I have an extra one in fair shape without the backrest I'll sell you for $100, and you can probably get the backrest from Corbin.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Multi

I'm more looking for a luggage solution, traveling by two would severely limit how much we can bring without additional luggage!
But thanks for the offer.

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Multi

That could be a solution, but I think I'll keep that for our old days  .....

balky1

Have you tried to check by Louis how long would it take for delivery?
https://www.louis.eu/

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Multi

Yea, I've tried their site, but they list them as sold out, unfortunatly..
But thanks for the advice!

balky1

Quote from: Multi on April 03, 2019, 07:33:54 AM

Send a message. They list them that way because they are made on order.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Millietant

Why don't you just go for a full set of Givi luggage for your FJ?

The Givi top box (or whatever it's called in the US....tail trunk ?) can be fitted with a back-rest - when my wife rode pillion on my FJ for touring holidays (before she got her own bike), she said it made the whole pillion experience really comfortable and felt very secure. Our two young kids also loved the back-rest as it gave them a sense of security and comfort while riding - we think at least as good as any other "back-rest".

Here's a photo of the top box on our Fazer 600 and the photo below is the only one I have handy with a passenger and the box/back-rest, but it's not particularly clear how it sits - hopefully you can get the general idea.

Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Multi

Quote from: balky1 on April 03, 2019, 11:15:02 AM
Quote from: Multi on April 03, 2019, 07:33:54 AM

Send a message. They list them that way because they are made on order.

That's the problem though, on order it takes about 6 months to have them made new from Hepco & Becker, that's why I am checking if anybody has them used.

Hex Millietant, Givi doesn't seem to make complete racks for the FJ, do you know if that's the case?

Thanks for the help and replies though...

balky1

Givi discontinued them a long time ago. Now they make only top-box racks which are rated for 3 kg for FJ 1100 (I did carry a lot more). Yes, back-rest sounds tempting and I have it on mine, but with such low rating and the looks of mounting points I have never advised my wife to take advantage of it. On the contrary.
Try with Krauser. They don't list them any more, but try messaging them. Who knows...
Browse the ebay every day. Every once in a while a set occurs. But often people ask a lot of money for them. If you buy Hepco, let me know. I was looking at it also and I am curious as to how it looks. I do remember reading on Louis page that the cases need some special mounting adapters which I think are not supplied with the rack.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Millietant

Ive checked on their website Balky and Givi still sell the V46, which has a 10kg capacity (the same as my old one is rated at, but it's carried more, on numerous occasions), so I can't see them selling a mounting frame that's only rated at 3 kg's - I haven't checked, but it would be commercial suicide to sell a box that carried over 3 times as much as the mounting system designed for it.

They also sell bigger top boxes and I know from the Fazer Owners forum in the U.K., many people have bought these because they carry over 5kgs regularly (some commute carry tools in their top boxes) and the Givi frames and boxes are one of the few makes designed for those weights.

I'd say they're worth a try - but Givi also do saddle back-rests too.

I agree Krausers are good - I have full Krausers luggage on my own FJ and on Liz's old VF 750 Interceptor, but the Give back-rests are mounted slightly higher and "wrap around" the pillion's back more, which all of our pillion passengers prefer. You can see the difference from this FJ photo.

Here's a few links to a couple of Givi boxes (thee are lots more) and the self contained saddle-back-rest on their website
https://www.givi.co.uk/motorbike-accessories/Safety-and-comfort/Backrests
https://www.givi.co.uk/cases/Monokey/V46
https://www.givi.co.uk/cases/Monokey/V56%20MAXIA%204

Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

ZOA NOM

Check with FJ1200W, he said in this thread that he has a Corbin with backrest he would sell.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=17908.15
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

balky1

Quote from: Millietant on April 04, 2019, 08:23:13 AM
Ive checked on their website Balky and Givi still sell the V46, which has a 10kg capacity (the same as my old one is rated at, but it's carried more, on numerous occasions), so I can't see them selling a mounting frame that's only rated at 3 kg's - I haven't checked, but it would be commercial suicide to sell a box that carried over 3 times as much as the mounting system designed for it.

They also sell bigger top boxes and I know from the Fazer Owners forum in the U.K., many people have bought these because they carry over 5kgs regularly (some commute carry tools in their top boxes) and the Givi frames and boxes are one of the few makes designed for those weights.

I'd say they're worth a try - but Givi also do saddle back-rests too.

I agree Krausers are good - I have full Krausers luggage on my own FJ and on Liz's old VF 750 Interceptor, but the Give back-rests are mounted slightly higher and "wrap around" the pillion's back more, which all of our pillion passengers prefer. You can see the difference from this FJ photo.

Here's a few links to a couple of Givi boxes (thee are lots more) and the self contained saddle-back-rest on their website
https://www.givi.co.uk/motorbike-accessories/Safety-and-comfort/Backrests
https://www.givi.co.uk/cases/Monokey/V46
https://www.givi.co.uk/cases/Monokey/V56%20MAXIA%204

I get your point, but V46 is a top case, not a carrier that he wants/needs. I'm telling what I got from Givi when I bought top case rack some 6 years ago. I have a 52L Maxxia and that rack always stood firm, regardless of its low rating, carried more than 20 kg. I was just surprised when I got that sticker with the rack, in the box (which is supposed to be sticked on the rack according to the mounting instructions LOL) . It's a shame Givi no longer makes three-box carriers, I think it was Wingrack2 (or they don't make mounting adapters).
If you'd seen how my rack is mounted, it would be much more obvious why such low rating.
This is the Monorack https://www.ghostbikes.com/9781-givi-monorack-arms-yamaha-fj1100-and-fj1200-(87-99)-(297f).html
It all stands on those four oval things on the bottom of the pic and the arms are screwed in with added spacers. So it actually stands on four rather thin screws which protrude much out of the threads because of the spacers, those oval carriers don't inspire confidence also and on top of that, mounting points on the frame for them are also not of the strongest type.
In spite of that, like I said, it carries a full Givi Maxxia. So that speaks of the quality.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009