News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Repair Essentials

Started by Yamahahammer1300, September 07, 2017, 09:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yamahahammer1300

I am making a trip to the vintage races at the Barber Motorsports track in Alabama soon.  I am getting my repair kit essentials in order, and would like to hear what others consider necessary for the FJ.
Chrome don't get you home

aviationfred

When I had the 1300, the hard bags and trunk stayed on about 95% of the time. With 128 liters of capacity, I always carried the following.

Rain Suit
Aerostitch mini-compressor with a Dyna Plug kit and a set of regular tire ropes, T-handled rasp and needle.
Micro jump start kit
The large Stockton tool roll, enhance with a few added/upgraded tools

With the tool roll, a person needs to account for it's size and weight. It is not small and is heavy. A few things that were changed, added too and upgraded.
Sockets.. I replaced all of the sockets with name brand lifetime warranty type. The Stockton ones are crap and they split easily. Added a 22mm and 27mm 1/2" drive socket with a 8" piece of steel tubing to add as an extention for the Ratchet, a 3/8" to 1/2" step up socket for the two large sockets.
Ratchet.. Replace with a Lifetime warranty type ratchet.
Torx handle set.. The kit comes with this...No Torx  bolts on the bike so it was removed from the kit.
Small gauge wire stripper.. added a single purpose wire stripper (no multi-tool wire stripper) I hate them with a passion.
Fuses.. Removed the midget fuses and replaced with standard FJ size fuses.
Spark plug socket.. Removed the wrong sized socket and added the correct size.

Compressor..http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-mini-compressor.html

Micro Jump Start..https://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Acces%3ALightningUltraSlim

Tool Roll..https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-roadside-tool-kit

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

aviationfred

As for long trips, I added a few spare parts in my luggage.

Fuel pump, If space is a premium, can be left at home due to the ability to re route the fuel lines for gravity feed
Fuel pump Relay, Refer to the above statement, or Craps out..... Can be bypassed if you know the wiring diagram.....Not recommended
Main Relay, Craps out..... Can not be bypassed
Ignitor Box/ECU, Craps out..... Can not be bypassed.

Ask Alan (Firehawk068) about additional parts that I carry.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

Urban_Legend

As above with Fred, but I like the Pit Posse Tool kit. Seem to be good qualitiy and has most of the tools i need (except the bigger sizes for the wheels ect)

http://pitposse.com/pometokit.html

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

X-Ray

One thing I have started to carry with me is some clear tube that connects to the drain ports on the carbs. If you get a leaky/sticky float while out, you can attach the tube ( a little difficult with the std airbox) and drain the offending bowl and refill under pressure from the pump. Doesn't always work but I used this technique while out on the '94 recently.
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: Yamahahammer1300 on September 07, 2017, 09:22:00 PM
I am making a trip to the vintage races at the Barber Motorsports track in Alabama soon.

That's like 300 miles. If your bike is in good order, you shouldn't have to worry about much at all. Maybe a tire repair kit, and a AAA Roadside Service Premium policy or the like.
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

PaulG

Other suggestions:

• a spare quart/litre of oil
  • extra set of keys
  • roll of toilet paper in the tank bag (cuz you never know!)
  • extra lighting like a flashlight or a headlamp (for your head not the bike) in case you need to pull over in the dark
  • spare bulbs (incl headlight)
  • a map in case your GPS steers you into a canal
  • maybe a basic travelling first aid kit (or just some polysporin and bandaids in case you burn yourself on the exhaust adjusting the idle screw...)
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

ribbert

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on September 08, 2017, 04:51:49 AM
I am making a trip to the vintage races at the Barber Motorsports track in Alabama soon.

That's like 300 miles. If your bike is in good order, you shouldn't have to worry about much at all. Maybe a tire repair kit, and a AAA Roadside Service Premium policy or the like.

I tend to agree for that length of trip providing the roadside service includes vehicle retrieval, or you have a good mate with a trailer. The flip side of  "if you bike is in good order....." is, they generally are until they're not. Heading off on a trip with everything in good order is no guarantee it will stay that way, although the odds are in your favour.
For a day trip of 600 - 700km's (which at worst is only going to 300 from home) I only take a puncture kit and compressor and I have the highest level auto club membership (with bike retrieval)

On multi day trips however I take my tool box as after the halfway mark on the first day I am now an inconvenient distance from home to break down and I'm on a trip that I no doubt would like to continue, not just jury rig the bike so I can limp home. To this end I take the following.

An assortment of ring/open end spanners plus one large rear axle nut size ring spanner
A couple of pairs of pliers, sidecutters and screw drivers
Zip ties
Small socket set with extensions, flexible drive, uni joint, ratchet and the usual PH, FH Allen and torx bits
Small and medium shifters
Test light. No good carrying electrical spares and parts without some sort of diagnostic tools
Continuity tester (self powered)
Wire probing peg
A couple of lengths of wire with small alligator clips for temporary connections while trouble shooting
Wire tapping connectors
Fuses
Silicone tape & electrical tape
Allen keys (2 types)
Sharp blade
Puncure kit
Compressor
Disposable gloves (you'll be glad if you need to pull the rear wheel on the side of the road)

Spares:
Coil & leads
Fuel pump
Ignition module
Headlight globe
Helmet visor hinges sets and 4 screws. I have had screws break many times and once had a hinge snap in half. That is a lot worse than it sounds when you have 1000's of km's ahead of you and no where to buy replacements.

The metal rod (between the zip ties and screw driver) used to be my carby tapping tool before I fixed them and fortunately I never took it out of the tool box. On a recent trip I had the sprocket carrier bearing fail a 1000 km's from home. Not only was this the only thing I was carrying that would knock the bearings out but it is exactly what I use at home for this job. I did the wheel bearings while I was at it.

All that fits in a tool box about 2/3 the size of a shoe box.

I ride about 20,000 km per year, often in remote locations and while having had a few issues occasionally, the FJ has never failed to get me home (and it has never limped home)

While on the subject of trips, I traditionally spend much of the first day fretting over what I've forgotten to pack only to arrive at my accommodation the first night find out exactly what I forgot to pack!

The last few years I have been using this perpetual check list. I put it on the bench next to the bike and tick things off as I pack them. Works a treat. The vertical columns are different trips.

Amongst the usual other gear for a trip I stash a spare key and $100 note on the bike (they are there permanently), take a spare visor with a Pinlock fitted and if staying in motels, a full size bar of soap!

Noel

...and as of the last trip, I've started carrying the centre stand in my luggage again. Trying to change that carrier bearing without it would have been a shocker. I just loose fit the bolts when I use it.

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Pat Conlon

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on September 08, 2017, 04:51:49 AM

^^^ Yep, that is a short distance. AAA card, cellphone, and a tire kit....and don't forget to tuck a pair of these under your seat:

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

racerrad8

Randy - RPM

aviationfred

I read an article awhile ago on this subject. It mentioned to practice doing maintenance on your motorcycle at home using ONLY the equipment that you carry with you during an extended trip. It helps to identify exactly what you need to carry and will show any short comings of your tool/equipment selection.

Ie. Use your travel kit to
remove the rear wheel
Remove and install the starter
Perform an oil and filter change

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2